Young Redskins' Players

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Young Redskins' Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
You have to be an exceptional player in order to play for Shanahan right away as a rookie. In 2002, in Clinton Portis rookie season, Portis was called upon to shoulder the load in the running game even though he had well under 300 rushes for that season.

Speaking of the Redskins younger players, I like Ryan Kerrigan, Leonard Hankerson, and Roy Helu, three players who have the potential to be cornerstones of the franchise in the near future.
272 carries is well under 300?

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #32
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Lotus absolutely did not put me up to this. Notice I have not mentioned Crompton's name here because he is not one of the "youngsters" I would throw into action at this point.
Damn Curmudgeon do you ever play along?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #33
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Damn Curmudgeon do you ever play along?
Nope. Never. Plus we've discovered he's a Cromptonist. Everyone else should get a shot but not Crompton. I see how it is
Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #34
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Nope. Never. Plus we've discovered he's a Cromptonist. Everyone else should get a shot but not Crompton. I see how it is
Wouldn't that make me an anti-Cromptonist? If being for Crompton is revolutionary, then is an anti-Cromptonist a counter-revolutionist?
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #35
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Lotus absolutely did not put me up to this. Notice I have not mentioned Crompton's name here because he is not one of the "youngsters" I would throw into action at this point.
I'm not sure that I am a "Cromptonist," whatever that is. I'm simply taking your own advice to its logical end. Isn't your point to test inexperienced folks by fire?

Should we not be finding our QB of the future through live action? We know that QB is not Wrecks and is not Beck. That leaves...

I've never claimed that Crompton was a savior or anything. But if we are to test drive our youngsters, Rockytop should get some legit snaps.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #36
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

We know you are a Cromptonista Lotus. Stop denying it.

Something About Crompton
They say Wrecks & Beck steal the hubcaps
Of the respected gentlemen
They say it would be wine an roses
If Crompton were the QB again!

Cromptonista's arise!!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #37
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

curmudgeon is a Hightower lover. But even he cannot resist bowing before the great Helu.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #38
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
curmudgeon is a Hightower lover. But even he cannot resist bowing before the great Helu.
You are absolutely correct. I believe that Tim Hightower - - uninjured and fully recovered from his current injury - - has the ability to be a very good RB in the NFL. At the same time, Roy Helu has shown - - once he got the chance to show - - that he too has the ability to be a very good RB in the NFL.

The emergence of Helu may mean that the Skins opt not to spend enough money on Hightower in the free agency period to keep both of them on the squad for 2012. I would prefer that both of them were here but the more Helu achieves in 2011, the less likely that becomes. Such are the economics of NFL salary caps...
Old 12-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #39
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. I believe that Tim Hightower - - uninjured and fully recovered from his current injury - - has the ability to be a very good RB in the NFL. At the same time, Roy Helu has shown - - once he got the chance to show - - that he too has the ability to be a very good RB in the NFL.

The emergence of Helu may mean that the Skins opt not to spend enough money on Hightower in the free agency period to keep both of them on the squad for 2012. I would prefer that both of them were here but the more Helu achieves in 2011, the less likely that becomes. Such are the economics of NFL salary caps...
I say we've got a pretty decent shot to keep THT. He's had a relatively quiet career and I doubt other teams are going to go into a bidding war for him. He'd be great insurance should Helu get IR'd.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #40
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Back in Post #8 of this thread, I suggested that I might like to see what Chris Baker might contribute to the team's defense.

The transactions listing in the Washington Post agate type said that Chris Baker was put on IR, so you can remove him from my list of guys I might like to see on the field for a few plays in the next 3 games...

Last edited by sportscurmudgeon; 12-15-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #41
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

The three Nebraska Cornhuskers really contributed this year. Gomes and Helu are now starters. Niles Paul has been excellent on kick coverage. Although he's seen time on offense, he has only done so as a decoy. I'd like to see him in the passing game more often.

Leonard Hankerson will be a beast. That first 100 yard game against Miami is the first of many. Ryan Kerrigan will be a great one. He's played every down on defense in 13 straight games. His pass rushing ability is one of the reasons why the defense is improved this year.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #42
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
272 carries is well under 300?

In comparison to how many touches he got in Washington per season to how many touches Portis got in Denver per season, yes I would definitely say it's well under 300 carries. Portis wasn't necessarily a workhorse running back in Denver under Mike Shanahan like he was in Washington under Gibbs and Zorn.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #43
over the mountain
Playmaker

Im kinda reserving the annointment of Helu as our franchise back for the next 5 years until he does it for a couple years. Seems we annointed that spot to ATV last year only to have him completely become forgotten.

I do think, even with that stretch of where our O line couldnt zone block worth fly shit, that MS's scheme and rep of making any no name running backs look good is holding up. ATV last year came out of nowhere, helu this year.

I like helu, he does seem to have a burst of acceleration but if i was the coach id go 60/40 hightower/helu next year.