Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Here is a "hidden problem" we haven't addressed yet...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #31
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Re: Here is a "hidden problem" we haven't addressed yet...

The Goat:

I assume that Bruce Allen will assemble his own staff.

If we are to take some of the responses here, then there is no scouting problem because all of these folks are "highly regarded" and inline with other NFL teams and all that stuff. If Bruce Allen doesn't find out WHY his predecessor(s) made the decisions they did, it is possible he will make similar decisions in the future. That is what I was trying to point out by saying it was a "hidden problem".

The scouts may indeed be OUTSTANDING but the process of aggregating info may have been flawed - - or maybe with Vinny The Goofball in charge the quality of the info did not matter.

But IF - - I said IF - - the scouts are less than fully competent, that is a whole different problem... And simply declaring their competencies without investigating to see what they said about specific players that you know about now, you are making your judgments on the basis of faith alone.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #32
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

To All:

It's been swell, but I have to go and tend to my grandson who just woke up and needs some comforting. Despite what you folks think about me, I will be able to get him back into a restful sleep.

Happy New Year everyone. I probably won't be checking in here for a few days.

Stay well.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #33
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Assessing the scouting department is much like assessing assistant coaches but with an even higher level of the "fog of war". At least with assistants, you can see their charges in action. With scouts, it's hard to say if they gave good info that was ignored by the GM or if they were giving bad info that was accepted or some level in between.

It's late so I am not going to try and do a player by player analysis. It seems to me, through several comparisons that have been done in other threads, that our drafts are not too far off from the norm when it comes to producing players. Further, when you are playing the back ups to back ups as starters, it seems to me that finding someone who "can play" is a shot in the dark for the best scouting dept.

Sorry, with the exception of Rinehart, you're examples just don't get me worked up about the scouting dept. Huntley? Batiste? Come on - it's not like someone was intending these guys to come in and be starters - may be there was a hope that one of them may be able to step up. Some scout saw a flash - who knows. And - on the other hand, what about Doughty? Horton? Chris Wilson? Sellers? Golston? Aren't these late round finds and UFA's indictative of competent scouting?

There are lots of front office issues and systemic flaws most of which, IMO, can be traced back to Vinny "Wormtongue" Cerrato. Allen is supposed to be a team builder and people person i.e. the Anti-VC (wait - does them make him ARVN?).

All in all, while everything must should be examined, the scouting dept. strikes me as an area that may actually function well given a little consistent direction and teamwork oriented oversight.

But, hell, the scouts could just be sitting in a back room with a dart board and "Blame Vinny" sign.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #34
Landry44

I can't speak for any other fans, but i expect this to be a long and painful rebuilding process. I'm tired of us signing big names without any winning seasons to show for it. I don't care if it takes 3 or 4 years before to get it right. As long as we get it right. I don't want us to go out and try to build a team in one off season, because obviously it's not working for us.
Landry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 AM   #35
dan_snyder69
Camp Scrub

Dude, the scouts hit on a lot of good players actually. The problem is we traded away too many picks. I think that stops now and if we have all our picks, we should hit on even more players overall (but not a higher %).
Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #36
dan_snyder69
Camp Scrub

I don't expect it to be too long of a rebuilding process. We actually have a lot of good pieces:

Fred Davis
Devin Thomas
Marko Mitchell (he will pan out just wait)
Deangelo Hall
Albert Haynesworth
Brian Orakpo
Jeremy Jarmon
Rocky McIntosh
Laron Landry (will be fine when they don't need to play him out of position anymore)

All we need a good linebacker or two, 3 new starters on O-Line, probably a new QB, and to address the running back position.

We will be alright! Next year might not be great, but then again I wouldn't be suprised if we were decent. The season after next, I definitely expect to be a contender. Turn-arounds don't take all that long in the NFL; there's such great parity. This is especially true for big market teams where money is not an issue. I just hope Snyder continues his new trend of only going after free agents who are entering their primes and are very young. I doubt we trade any picks away for aging veterans ever again. That we will soon see was Vinny's biggest failure as an executive.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #37
firstdown
Living Legend

I love how people pick players over looked by us then point to them as a problem with our scouting. Then they find the picks of ours who have not lived up to their billing to support their arguement. This is just so easy to look back and find mistakes but you can do the same thing with 31 other teams every year.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:42 AM   #38
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

I seem to recall them saying that they had Jackson rated higher but saw great potential out of Thomas; I'm sure that they preferred his frame too.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #39
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Smootsmack:

Yeah, I realize that being a curmudgeon means pointing out the turds in the punchbowl more than once in a while. But at least this time I can say it was "before the fact" and not "after the fact".
Seems like you're complaining about things after the fact. We're not going crystal ball here are we?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #40
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landry44 View Post
I can't speak for any other fans, but i expect this to be a long and painful rebuilding process. I'm tired of us signing big names without any winning seasons to show for it. I don't care if it takes 3 or 4 years before to get it right. As long as we get it right. I don't want us to go out and try to build a team in one off season, because obviously it's not working for us.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #41
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
No one expected Samuels to go down, or any of the other injuries for that matter. All this change will give us great results for years to come.
to think they had no idea about samuels condition is a bit naive, and randy thomas was coming off of neck and back surgeries in the off season if i'm not mistaken, i would think that also had to be a bit of a red flag wouldn't you.

obviously guys like cooley getting brokn bones can't be accounted for but samuels and thomas were ticking time bombs that exploded at the same time, and that could have been a lot better prepared for imo

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #42
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
to think they had no idea about samuels condition is a bit naive, and randy thomas was coming off of neck and back surgeries in the off season if i'm not mistaken, i would think that also had to be a bit of a red flag wouldn't you.

obviously guys like cooley getting brokn bones can't be accounted for but samuels and thomas were ticking time bombs that exploded at the same time, and that could have been a lot better prepared for imo
It wasn't a matter not knowing about his condition. The fact of the matter is in Chris's 9 year career there was never a history of him being injured because of this spinal condition to my knowledge. Rinehart was supposed to be the replacement for Thomas. But as it was stated earlier no point crying over spilled milk.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #43
bigm29
Special Teams

Quote:
This is gonna take time folks; gird yourself for it; this team is significantly worse than the one at the end of the “Spurrier Era”.
How can you say were significantly worse now than the team at the end of the Spurrier era?

Our Qb's were Ramsey, Rob Johnson and tim hasselebeck.

RB- Trung Canidate

WR- Coles and Rod Gardner

TE- Robert Royal

and the only good players he left us with on DEF were Champ Bailey, Antonio Pierce, and Lavar Arrington.

ENOUGH SAID
Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #44
bigm29
Special Teams

I think our current roster is loaded with talent but lack coaching and motivation. Besides our offensive line, this is a playoff team, I think that Campbell can be a good enough QB if he is surrounded by the right guys, however he is not a great qb by any means
Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #45
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigm29 View Post
How can you say were significantly worse now than the team at the end of the Spurrier era?

Our Qb's were Ramsey, Rob Johnson and tim hasselebeck.

RB- Trung Canidate

WR- Coles and Rod Gardner

TE- Robert Royal

and the only good players he left us with on DEF were Champ Bailey, Antonio Pierce, and Lavar Arrington.

ENOUGH SAID
Canidate had a good year for us but that foot injury ended his career.