Haynesworth Appreciation Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #31
53Fan
Franchise Player

re: Haynesworth Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
What I'm saying is he hasn't made the defense better. He's not dominating. He makes a nice play here and there but he not making a difference cause again he has no stamina. Reggie White made a difference and for the money he's making I want someone like Reggie White.
Well I think he is dominating. And I think he's made the line better. The problem is he can't run down the field and do Landry or Rogers job too. Reggie White was a special player. AH is not RW, he may never be, but he's pretty damn good when he's in there. If he wants to reach that level he's going to have to work a lot harder in the offseason on his stamina, I mean you're comparing him to one of the greatest players of all time, but he's the best DT we have and one of the best, if not the best in the league right now.

Advertisements
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #32
Pocket$ $traight

See here is the thing. Big Al takes a lot of grief, mainly because of his contract. First of all, at the moment the deal is 4 year deal for $48 mil (41 or 42 guaranteed). So the $100 million dollar man line is getting old and is innacurate. Second, he takes a lot of heat for laying on the ground and getting carted off when, in fact, he is just tired. I agree this looks bad but if you think about it, he is probably helping his team since it is giving the D a rest.

So if you remove the jealousy and inaccurate contract figure and actually look at his play, there would be a lot more positive press for this guy.

From what I have seen he is definitely no "Stubby". This guy is a freak of nature. In my opinion the Giants on 4th and 1 play where he single handedly stopped half of their team may be the single most dominant defensive tackle play I have ever seen. Another plus is that whenever someone on the other team gets jumpy, he ends it. The Atlanta sideline was ganging up on Deangelo until Big Al came along and they parted like the Red Sea. Last night he backed Jacobs up while pushing one of their lineman. This guy is as nasty as it gets and honestly we need 53 guys with a bad attitude like that.

Quit focusing on the contract and watch him play and you will become a fan. For the people who want to cut him because he was signed by Vinny, I don't know what to tell you. You must want to see us have absolutely no chance to win.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #33
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Wrong. Do you remember guys like Dave Butz and Daryl Grant? Well these guys were old school dudes cause guess what? They didn't come off the damn field and they weren't soft.
So Big Al is soft? I will agree that he needs to get in better shape. I don't think I have heard anyone call him "soft" at least no one who had to identify themselves.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #34
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Are you kidding me w/ this silly thread??? AH takes so many damn plays off it's not even funny. He's lazy, he's not in shape, he showed up out of shape and it's carried on all through the season and it shows up in his play. Who cares if he slugs a guy when D. Hall is fighting? That's not leadership! It's stupid cause you just got 15 yards. If your fat ass was a leader then you'd get in D. Hall's face and tell him to stop fighting and ball! Haynesworth is the kind of guy you can't win with cause your highest paid guy needs to be a leader by example....aka Reggie White. This fat ass is a joke and I don't care if I get flamed.

Haterade coming right up...

Don't even mention the 15 yard penalty. They should have thrown Jacobs out of the game and penalized him twice before Big Al even got involved. Wake up.

Yeah, back down and yell at Hall, that is exactly what we need....
Old 12-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #35
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Butz was one of the very first if not the first 300lb DT so he was way ahead of his time. Guy never came off the field and didn't play soft.

Butz was great and a world champion but never as dominant as Big Al.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #36
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Are you kidding me w/ this silly thread??? AH takes so many damn plays off it's not even funny. He's lazy, he's not in shape, he showed up out of shape and it's carried on all through the season and it shows up in his play. Who cares if he slugs a guy when D. Hall is fighting? That's not leadership! It's stupid cause you just got 15 yards. If your fat ass was a leader then you'd get in D. Hall's face and tell him to stop fighting and ball! Haynesworth is the kind of guy you can't win with cause your highest paid guy needs to be a leader by example....aka Reggie White. This fat ass is a joke and I don't care if I get flamed.
1. Like every other team in the league, we have a defensive tackle rotation to keep the guys fresh. So Phat Al has to come off of the field by the coaches' choice, not necessarily his choice.
2. AH has still played about 70% of the snaps. This is a high number for a defensive tackle these days.
3. The game has changed since the days of Butz and Grant. Defensive tackle rotations were more ad hoc in their days, whereas now rotations are carefully planned by coaches, and players are rotated more often. And Butz and Grant, as much as I loved them, did in fact take breathers.
4. Orakpo and Carter both have double-digit sacks this year, so it is not just Orakpo. Haynesworth double teams clearly have been a factor.

Regardless of the size of his paycheck, AH has not been one of those players who show up just to collect a paycheck. He cares. He has heart. He deserves our respect. In terms of attitude, we need more guys like him.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #37
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
We're better w/out him. The defense was better last year. Yes we're getting more sacks but that's cause of Orakpo. AH will make a great play and then he loafs the next 5 plays cause he has no stamina. What do you think guys like Griff and Goldston think looking at this dude always come out the game yet he makes 10 times what they do? Sorry but give me two guys that hustle at half his price. I would've brought in Tank Johnson.
You really don't know what you are talking about. That is about as nice as I can put it.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #38
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
What I'm saying is he hasn't made the defense better. He's not dominating. He makes a nice play here and there but he not making a difference cause again he has no stamina. Reggie White made a difference and for the money he's making I want someone like Reggie White.
You are completely incorrect. The increased sack numbers for AC and at least half of those by Orakpo can be directly attributed to the presence of AH. We knew what we were getting with him, you get a difference-making 1-tech DT for about 67-70% of the defensive snaps each season. The FO felt he was worth it and I agree. If the salary cap goes away, he is nothing but a positive as long as he stays healthy (no seasone-ending injuries, but that could be said about any player). We just need to take into consideration that he won't be on the field 30% of the time and make sure we have a good DT rotation, which at this point I believe is the least of our worries.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #39
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Wrong. Do you remember guys like Dave Butz and Daryl Grant? Well these guys were old school dudes cause guess what? They didn't come off the damn field and they weren't soft.
Butz and Grant were fantastic and the type of players I love, old school. However, neither could provide the explosiveness in the pass rush AH brings to the table.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #40
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Yet you had no problem with Mike Smith sticking up for one of his own guys

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...tml#post622767
Old 12-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #41
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

LOL...Game, Set, Match...and all you had to play was one serve.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #42
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
You show your repeated ignorance with every post about this. Learn how the NFL works and then how to analyze it and come back. I'm far from an expert but damn.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #43
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
I dont know whats so painful,I thought he made a lot of good points
You're from TX; incompetence and a lack of knowledge is expected.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #44
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

wow, I hate the term "hater" but here we have it

back to ES with you muffin
Old 12-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #45
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
You are completely incorrect. The increased sack numbers for AC and at least half of those by Orakpo can be directly attributed to the presence of AH. We knew what we were getting with him, you get a difference-making 1-tech DT for about 67-70% of the defensive snaps each season. The FO felt he was worth it and I agree. If the salary cap goes away, he is nothing but a positive as long as he stays healthy (no seasone-ending injuries, but that could be said about any player). We just need to take into consideration that he won't be on the field 30% of the time and make sure we have a good DT rotation, which at this point I believe is the least of our worries.
I've only broken down about two halves since the bye week, so I'm hardly an expert on the last seven games, but my take is that Carter and Orakpo are doing what they are doing independant of what Haynesworth is providing. I don't really see Haynesworth collapsing the pocket to help them.

What I frequently do see is a guy who is playing his gap, and winning his one on ones very consistently. I'm just a bit surprised that so many teams are going 1 v 1 on Haynesworth, and I'm very surprised he hasn't had a bigger impact.

With that said, his effect on a game is clear every time he takes the field. Haynesworth goes 100% on nearly every play, and I just wish he could stay healthy. I just don't think his effect on a game is being reflected in Orakpo's or Carter's numbers.

As to his salary: it's almost unheard of to be able to add an impact player without giving up a draft pick. A lot of Haynesworth's salary is simply the difference between a free-market acquisition, and an extension given to a player who we traded a high draft pick to get. It was worth it, but the potential downside is staying with the player too long because you owe him money.