Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Brian Westbrook Possibly Out Until Week One

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #31
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

Re: Brian Westbrook Possibly Out Until Week One

Did the Eagles know about the surgery before? I do cannot grasp the concept of letting go of Buckhalter, and drafting a RB, then sending your workhorse off to surgery. A two back system is the NFL of today, but when you have an injury prone RB such as Westbrook, wouldn't it make more sense to have a reliable, proven backup and then maybe a rookie just in case?

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #32
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I don't see this as a huge deal. Wesbrook is always nursing some sort of injury and misses most practices during the week, then tears it up on game day.
Well, on about 12/16 of the game days. .
Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #33
freddyg12
Playmaker

Pro athletes have access to the best doctors & as fans we've grown accustomed to hearing a timetable for a player's return, and 90% of the time, those projections are pretty accurate. Sometimes though, these things can't be predicted as easily as we'd like.

Is it a big deal if it's 9-10 weeks instead of 6-8? I actually don't think so, in fact it might be a blessing in disguise if he comes back fully healed later in the season as that increases the chance he'll be playing in Dec.

I don't think it was a big deal for buckhalter to leave either. He's an avg. back & the rookie should be an upgrade once he learns their pass pro scheme.

This is an interesting year for the Iggles. They made some moves that indicate they want to win now, yet they didn't go after a vet wr & instead drafted Maclin. Since Reid & McNabb have been there, you can never truly count them out. I've been waiting for a turning point w/them when they'll fall & have to rebuild, but aside from a couple off years it really hasn't happened. I don't know if they'll be in the playoffs, but I would bet they'll beat some div. teams including the skins.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #34
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in TX View Post
Did the Eagles know about the surgery before? I do cannot grasp the concept of letting go of Buckhalter, and drafting a RB, then sending your workhorse off to surgery. A two back system is the NFL of today, but when you have an injury prone RB such as Westbrook, wouldn't it make more sense to have a reliable, proven backup and then maybe a rookie just in case?
Buckhalter reliable? With all the injuries he's had, it's a miracle he's still in the league really. They have Lorenzo Booker who is younger and healthy, and now they add a lightning bolt in Lesean McCoy. I think these are solid moves. Buckhalter is on two surgically repaired knees and turns 30 this year. He's been ok the past few seasons and probably has some gas left in the tank, but they are smart for getting younger.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #35
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Buckhalter reliable? With all the injuries he's had, it's a miracle he's still in the league really. They have Lorenzo Booker who is younger and healthy, and now they add a lightning bolt in Lesean McCoy. I think these are solid moves. Buckhalter is on two surgically repaired knees and turns 30 this year. He's been ok the past few seasons and probably has some gas left in the tank, but they are smart for getting younger.
Which is likely why Denver signed him, they love fragile RBs.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #36
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Which is likely why Denver signed him, they love fragile RBs.
But they have a phenomenal line... Booker and McCoy are just too inexperienced for me to be able to sleep at night (if I was an Eagles fan that is). Two fragile backs who know how to get the job done are better than one fragile back who will inevitably get hurt and the reins will be handed to a young guy who is not proven. Westbrook goes down and for at least the rest of the game they have Buckhalter to carry the weight without losing much steam. I don't know, perhaps I am a little more old school when it comes to RB. I feel very good with our corps. CP can carry a game, and we know Betts can too. Rock can do a decent job, and can at least get us a few yards when we need it on whatever and short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I agree 100%, I just would have waited until Booker and McCoy were a bit more proven before letting Buckhalter go.

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote