P90x

Parking Lot

Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #31
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I decided to blog about it to help keep me motivated.

My Power 90 Blog
I'll keep an eye on it. That sounds like a great way to stay motivated and accountable. We'll let you know when you're slacking.

Advertisements
Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #32
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
I decided to blog about it to help keep me motivated.

My Power 90 Blog

I might have to copy you, to keep myself motivated....
Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #33
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Me a guy at work and my brother in law are doing it. I am off track do to the 100 feet of snow we got and the amount of shoveling I was doing.

I think if I did a exhaustion test right now I score 55 or 60. I really just don't have a strong chest, there are a lot genetics involved with having a strong chest. I think on my best day I can maybe bench 150-175 but I will see the tiniest guys come in and throw up 200 225. Weird.

I have never really trained to be extremely strong just to stay fit. I just want to be able to take my shirt off in public and keep up with my two year old without losing my breath.

I like to see GMScud take on PX90, he is a gym rat.
P90X is legit. The thing is, it takes some serious dedication. If I'm not mistaken it's at least an hour a day, six days a week. I've talked to a few personal trainers about P90X, and they all said it's the real deal- IF you commit to it.

It operates off the premise of muscle confusion, which is why it works so well so fast. A lot of people out there trying to get in shape and build muscle don't realize the importance of varying their routine, and they will plateau, get frustrated, and quit. You've got to constantly change your exercises, and P90X works off of that. I think one of the six days is actually yoga, so it's going to help with flexibility too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that P90X will absolutely work, but don't waste your money unless you're all in. I don't have kids (yet) and my fiancee is a personal trainer and the operations manager at a health club, so it's easy for me to be a gym rat. A lot of people may not have the time for P90X. However you can do it from the comfort of your home....
Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #34
MTK
\m/

Part of the reason I didn't jump right into P90x is because it's definitely a big time commitment along with a killer workout. I read that the Power 90 program is a good beginner/get your feet wet type of deal. The Power 90 workouts are 30-35 minutes long 6 days a week so for me it sounded a little more realistic right now.

I've read that a lot of athletes do P90x to stay in shape during the offseason. It's definitely legit.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #35
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I just ordered p90x last Friday. I also went to Costco and bought tons of healthy high protein foods to go along with it. Ive always been a decently skinny guy but im about the fattest ive ever been for the last 6 months, I think my metabolism is finally slowing down. I eat pretty unhealthy, a lot of fast food, seven eleven, custom combos from multiple fast food places. If I cant microwave it or toast it I pick it up. I think I hit a low when I did the Taco Bell Taste Off thread. I also eat candy and chocolate pretty much all day long while at work (just gave up candy for Lent). I also drink fairly heavily. I was diagnosed with hypertension about a year or so ago.
What I put in bold is without question, 100% the most important part of all this. You have GOT to stop that. All those processed foods, high fat, all the sugar, plus with the fast food I'm assuming you're drinking plenty of soda as well... It's a recipe for disaster. Hypertension at 27 is no bueno my friend. If you clean up your diet you will immediately feel better, and it will make P90X a lot easier to tackle.

If you fill your fridge with good food and try to make a habit of packing a lunch and cooking dinner, you'll save money too. All the eating out gets pricey.

A few tips based on what you said-

-If you feel like you need the candy at work, eat dark chocolate and do it in moderation.
-If you feel caffeine withdrawals from the lack of soda, drink green tea. It's got plenty of kick and is really healthy. Also, black coffee is good for you too. Lots of antioxidants. A few months ago I gave up all soda and energy drinks. Coffee and green tea are how I get my pick-me-up.
-Try fresh fruit for sugar cravings. I had the munchies the other night () and I scarfed down a few clementines. It totally did the trick.
-If you're gonna drink, stick to light beer and red wine, and try to keep it moderate.

I'm not trying to preach. I'm no guru, but I do have a lot of experience with diet and exercise. I've never been fat, but I've definitely had unhealthy habits that I've modified over the years. Despite being a gym rat, I've had many phases where I was drinking too much alcohol and soda, eating a lot of high sodium high fat junk, etc etc. I've got everything tweaked now to the point where at 31 years old, I'm definitely in the best condition of my life.

Good luck man!! Use this thread a resource. I'm pulling for you!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #36
MTK
\m/

I try to stick to the light stuff and I've recently become a fan of wine but damn it's so hard to resist those quality brews.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #37
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
You can use resistance bands or weights, and the amount of weight/reps is really up to you.
can you get away with only bands or do you think weights will be pretty important in the routine?

i was watching a couple youtube videos of power 90/p90x shocker there was a huge ad for mcdonalds nuggets while the video was playing

i'm just now getting back into shape, i'm using alli right now and doing cardio but i really want to start working muscles into my routine, i've lost about 20lbs in the first month with alli, it's all about cutting out fat in your diet, it's hard at first but once you get going for a while it's not too bad

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #38
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
I try to stick to the light stuff and I've recently become a fan of wine but damn it's so hard to resist those quality brews.
I know! I occasionally will drink a few heavier craft brews, and I do love me some scotch. I guess it's all about moderation.

I heard a phrase somewhere a long time ago that I always think about- "Anything in excess becomes a vice."
Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #39
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
can you get away with only bands or do you think weights will be pretty important in the routine?
My question as well.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #40
mlmdub130
Playmaker

alcohol is a killer there is no way i can give it up but i have cut it down to pretty much just red wine

as far as snacks go fuit and veggies is what i go to, somethimes with some salad dressing to dip into. kraft actually makes some great fat free dressings, and life savers has a bunch of fat free and suger free hard candies they are a really good too

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #41
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Just be careful with the Ranch dressing...even if fat free, could have a ton of calories. If not fat free...look out.

(I admit, I love Ranch myself, usually mix some hot sauce into it)
Old 02-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #42
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130

i was watching a couple youtube videos of power 90/p90x shocker there was a huge ad for mcdonalds nuggets while the video was playing

i'm just now getting back into shape, i'm using alli right now and doing cardio but i really want to start working muscles into my routine, i've lost about 20lbs in the first month with alli, it's all about cutting out fat in your diet, it's hard at first but once you get going for a while it's not too bad
I'm sure you could stick to bands only if you're looking to just tone up. Obviously if you want to add some muscle and/or if you want a more intense workout weights are needed.

But it's really up to you and what you want to get out of the program.

I mostly use weights but I'm mixing in the bands for the more difficult stuff and when I'm gassed.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #43
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
alcohol is a killer there is no way i can give it up but i have cut it down to pretty much just red wine

as far as snacks go fuit and veggies is what i go to, somethimes with some salad dressing to dip into. kraft actually makes some great fat free dressings, and life savers has a bunch of fat free and suger free hard candies they are a really good too
yeah

red wine or straight gin or vodka mostly here now, keeps me from having too much as well
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #44
mlmpetert
Playmaker

One thing i am not doing is pull ups. Im 6'2" and have even longer arms for someone my height. Pull up bars in door jams dont work for me. The resistant bands can replace a lot of stuff, but its also half cheating.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #45
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I borrowed it from a friend I did it like a week and was like I miss the gym but I know folks that have used it and had amazing results. Like I said I may give it another shot.

Look it up on you tube and you can see folks using the program.

Right now I am focused on the gym and the one hundred push up challenge.

one hundred push ups

If you are looking for a new routine try Body for Life. I have had great results with that, also I don't go at night anymore I am more energized in the morning and if you read body for life you will learn if you exercise, cardo, in the morning your body is forced to use your stored calories (fat). You actually wait an hour after your workout before eating breakfast.
If you do not have shoulder / rotator cuff problems , these " blast straps" are awesome for push ups ... Muscle Blast
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote