Chargers' Merriman will forgo surgery, play with knee injury

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #31
saden1
MVP

Re: Chargers' Merriman will forgo surgery, play with knee injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I agree. If I am AJ Smith (shoot me now by the way in this case) I IR him in a heart beat.
Perhaps the Commissioner should get involved?

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #32
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The Chargers were most likely to get rid of him when his contract's up anyways, I doubt they could care less what happens to him. You guys are forgetting Merriman and 4 of their other best players' contracts all end in '09, and you can bet they won't be bringing all of them back.

As for Merriman, what a dumb decision. Honestly if he does play and he blows out his knee and it ruins his career I'm probably not gonna feel sorry for him, he knew it could happen.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:36 AM   #33
Luxorreb
^21^

Merriman needs to sit. I know it sucks, but long term should be the thought. Maybe I should talk to him. I'd tell him that the Chargers won't win it all reguardless if he played or not. He should have the surgery and find a new team next season. Redskins would take him. He's a beast when healthy. He's gonna be worthless next season if he plays this one.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 AM   #34
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I hear ya, to an extent. Hey, if you play through a broken pinky and it needs to be cut off (Ronnie Lott), or play with a broken leg or ankle (Jack Youngblood and Donovan McNabb), then hell yeah, you're a warrior. But if you play with torn knee ligaments that could end your career, what's better for both you and the Chargers? Being balsy and "tough" and playing a few more games until your career ends, or getting your knee taken care of and being great for several more seasons? This is no-brainer IMO.

Also, TO was just doing what was necessary to be effective for one game, and that game just happened to be the biggest of all. I don't think TO was at risk of ending his career with that ankle injury either.

EDIT:
On a side note, I just heard on ESPN that Merriman was advised to have corrective surgery after last season and decided against it. Look where that's left him.
For the record, Merriman has steadfastly denied that further aggravation of the knee without surgery could be career threatening. His position is that his doctors have told him he needs to get knee surgery at some point, but that he could also play this season without it, albeit with an elevated risk of further injury. Anyway, seems pretty gutsy and selfless to me and I don't get calling him an idiot, implying that he doesn't understand what is at stake.

And wouldn't Tiger be a better parallel than the ones you threw out? He was in the same situation as Merriman, essentially, and played in the US Open anyway, costing him the rest of his season and perhaps shortening his career (although I certainly hope not). I thought that was pretty gutsy too, although I guess you could also argue it was idiotic. Think about the money Tiger!
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #35
irish
Playmaker

He's a big boy and can make his own decisions but IMO its a big mistake. He's only 24 with a lot of his career in front of him. Its nice to talk about these team committments but I doubt the team will do much for him when he's out of football forever because he destroyed his knee. You gotta look out for #1 and Merriman isnt doing it.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #36
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
For the record, Merriman has steadfastly denied that further aggravation of the knee without surgery could be career threatening. His position is that his doctors have told him he needs to get knee surgery at some point, but that he could also play this season without it, albeit with an elevated risk of further injury. Anyway, seems pretty gutsy and selfless to me and I don't get calling him an idiot, implying that he doesn't understand what is at stake.

And wouldn't Tiger be a better parallel than the ones you threw out? He was in the same situation as Merriman, essentially, and played in the US Open anyway, costing him the rest of his season and perhaps shortening his career (although I certainly hope not). I thought that was pretty gutsy too, although I guess you could also argue it was idiotic. Think about the money Tiger!
I mean John Daly is a big dude, sure. But what are the odds of Tiger getting his leg rolled over under a pile of 300 pound golfers? In this case, you just can't compare golf and football.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #37
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Also, Tiger has made his money. He does, arguably, have his best years in front of him, but he's been out there in a non-contact sport for 10 years. Merriman's played 3. He's a dummy.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #38
MTK
\m/

I just don't see where the risk is worth it. But oh well, it's his career that he could be pissing away. I'm just glad it's not one of our guys doing this.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #39
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I mean John Daly is a big dude, sure. But what are the odds of Tiger getting his leg rolled over under a pile of 300 pound golfers? In this case, you just can't compare golf and football.
Um, Tiger had to have a second season ending-knee injury which was both predictable and preventable. He played against his doctor's recommendations and the worst case scenario happened. Cute Daly quip but I still see a parallel.

Anyway, I think you guys are kind of missing my point. I am more interested in the way that people are perceived. Both Merriman and Tiger were/are taking calculated risks to try and win a championship, yet Merriman is called an idiot, and even accused of being selfish, whereas Tiger is hailed as a warrior.

For the record, I don't think Merriman is making the right decision but I feel you have to respect his commitment to the team, even it is reckless.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #40
MTK
\m/

Tiger isn't on a team though. His decision impacts him only. Merriman could possibly wreck his career and that would have a pretty big impact on his team.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #41
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Tiger isn't on a team though. His decision impacts him only. Merriman could possibly wreck his career and that would have a pretty big impact on his team.
Again, the idea that he is being selfish here is crazy to me. It boggles my mind. But I guess I just disagree with everybody.

Anyway, from what I can gather in this article it seems like the team is cool with him playing, for obvious reasons.

ESPN - Chargers' Merriman will forgo surgery, play with knee injury - NFL
Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #42
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Again, the idea that he is being selfish here is crazy to me. It boggles my mind. But I guess I just disagree with everybody.

Anyway, from what I can gather in this article it seems like the team is cool with him playing, for obvious reasons.

ESPN - Chargers' Merriman will forgo surgery, play with knee injury - NFL
In the long run his decision to play could have a pretty big impact on the team if he injures himself to the point where his career is in jeopardy, so in that right yeah I think he's being selfish. You really can't see that?

Do you think the risk vs. reward is worth it?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #43
dmek25
MVP

i don't understand why he thinks he should do this? he obviously will not be at his best. and could further damage his knee, to the point of his career being over
Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #44
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

I respect his committment to the team...apparently they think its a do it this year or we rebuild a bit. But it is a dumbfounding decision. LAVAR talk some sense into your boy!!!!
Also...ummmi dont really get the tiger parallel. Hes bad ass at swinging clubs...but the day tiger gets on the field in a helmet and pads...ill respect him as an "athlete" or merrimans standing
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #45
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I really don't think we have enough medical information on this case to really know if Merriman is a dead man walking out there.

The doctors are recommending him to shut it down, or at least that's what's been reported. But maybe they aren't recommending him to do so because they think his career is in danger. Maybe they just think that he might compromise his effectiveness for this season if he does play. That's possible I think.

If that's the reason, why not give it a try? If the alternative to having surgery is to play, and possibly risk a midseason injury and then...he has to have surgery, the only thing that changes is the timetable for his return...which is essentially offset by the time he's putting in now.

I think Merriman is doing the right thing. If the team feels his effectiveness is compromised, the ball is in their court to get him on IR so that they can get a more effective, healthier player in there.