We need competition for Suisham

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #31
MTK
\m/

Re: We need competition for Suisham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Seriously????? There was just a bunch of college kickers not drafted across the country, and there was a bunch last year too, and the year before etc....are you seriously saying that there are no kickers out there???

Last I checked, we are not experts on kickers...nor are we scouts...but last I checked, the Redskins employs alot of scouts...ask them where we could find a few. Anyone will work. No one is saying to get a hall of famer to compete, just competition. Competition has never been a bad thing...ever.
C'mon now don't cop out.

Who's out there that could potentially come in and take the job?? Because with such a limited roster now you can't afford to just have competitions for the heck of it.

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #32
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
C'mon now don't cop out.

Who's out there that could potentially come in and take the job?? Because with such a limited roster now you can't afford to just have competitions for the heck of it.
I have no clue...I don't pay attention to kickers, and I have mentioned in previous posts, I don't follow college football very hard...but I am sure there are several here that could know some out of work kicker from college with a booming leg.
Besides, it's kinda too late now. They should have had competition when camp started. How can you bring in a guy now? (unless of course the guy starts to suck uncontrollably.) We missed the window. Suisham really needed some competition.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:36 AM   #33
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
I have no clue...I don't pay attention to kickers, and I have mentioned in previous posts, I don't follow college football very hard...but I am sure there are several here that could know some out of work kicker from college with a booming leg.
Besides, it's kinda too late now. They should have had competition when camp started. How can you bring in a guy now? (unless of course the guy starts to suck uncontrollably.) We missed the window. Suisham really needed some competition.
We didn't have room. Hard to understand? Matty has stated it twice as well as others and you ignored it. Put it this way. Who should we have cut at the begining of camp to make space for a mock competition?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #34
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Suisham and I exchanged some emails after the season ended and we talked about him doing a chat with us. We were all set to chat right after the draft. And then I never heard from him. Haven't heard from him since. So yeah, the punk's gotta go

Anyhow, I think he'll be fine this year. But there are times where he needs to step it up to near exceptional.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #35
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
We didn't have room. Hard to understand? Matty has stated it twice as well as others and you ignored it. Put it this way. Who should we have cut at the begining of camp to make space for a mock competition?
lol a mock competition.

Zorn: Hey Shaun we're going to bring in another kicker for camp.

SS: Ok coach, guess I need to step it up to win the job.

Zorn: Nah, this is just a mock competition. In fact we're bringing in a trained donkey, because any competition is better than no competition. We're also thinking of bringing in a different fan each day to compete with you, since anybody will do.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #36
over the mountain
Playmaker

kickers are so important in this league. they are the highest scorers on their teams yet the skins have paid little attention to addressing our need for an nfl leg. dont throw stats at me, we all know shazaam needs to add some consistent length to his kickoffs and he is not reliable past the 40 and we dont even attempt 50 yarders with him.

we are not a 13-3 team that can ignore the importance of a good kicker. we are a team that is one win or loss away from making the playoffs and a kicker determines at least 1 game a year. atleast once or twice this year a game will come down to whether shazaam makes or misses a kick with less than a minute to go, i just hope its inside the 40.

i wonder if the skins figured they couldnt make roster space to have a competition for both kicker and punter so after review decided punter was the spot that needed competition? either way, shazaam isnt horrible but thats about as big a compliment as i can give him right now. as long as all our field goals to win it are inside the 40, we should be alright.

go skins!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #37
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Here are a few contenders we can bring into camp:

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #38
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
come on now...there are plenty of players we could have cut first. How about when Daniels went down DAY 1, he CREATED a spot by his injury. Hmmm, should I go on? I'll keep going cause you guys clearly don't get it. How about the fact that we have 3 FB's on the roster right now (Sellers, Broughton, and Schmitt)? Yeah they are more important. How about Chris Horton? Or Kevin Huntley who will NEVER see the field? Or Patrick Ghee? There are 5 for instances.

You are seriously saying that 1- competition is bad, 2- Suisham has done well enough to deserve no competition, and 3- no one out there could possibly be better even though Suisham sucks on kickoffs, and can't hit from 50+! If any position needs competition it's kicker.

To assume there is no one to cut...well that's just the definition of close minded. Obviously by bringing in no competition the SKins feel they have the answer at kicker. Some of us feel otherwise. I hope suisham proves us wrong. Suisham is not Vinateiri, or a top 10 kicker, even a top 15 kicker, possibly not even a top 20-25 kicker. So why did he not deserve competition?

ps- just cause matty makes a comment, doesn't make it gold, you don't have to be a sheep and follow his every word. baaaaaah.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #39
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Here are a few contenders we can bring into camp:

LOL we got ourselves a competition!!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #40
MTK
\m/

Quote:
come on now...there are plenty of players we could have cut first. How about when Daniels went down DAY 1, he CREATED a spot by his injury. Hmmm, should I go on? I'll keep going cause you guys clearly don't get it. How about the fact that we have 3 FB's on the roster right now (Sellers, Broughton, and Schmitt)? Yeah they are more important. How about Chris Horton? Or Kevin Huntley who will NEVER see the field? Or Patrick Ghee? There are 5 for instances.

You are seriously saying that 1- competition is bad, 2- Suisham has done well enough to deserve no competition, and 3- no one out there could possibly be better even though Suisham sucks on kickoffs, and can't hit from 50+! If any position needs competition it's kicker.

To assume there is no one to cut...well that's just the definition of close minded. Obviously by bringing in no competition the SKins feel they have the answer at kicker. Some of us feel otherwise. I hope suisham proves us wrong. Suisham is not Vinateiri, or a top 10 kicker, even a top 15 kicker, possibly not even a top 20-25 kicker. So why did he not deserve competition?

ps- just cause matty makes a comment, doesn't make it gold, you don't have to be a sheep and follow his every word. baaaaaah.
Let's look at his numbers since there seems to be too much subjective opinion being tossed around here for my taste. He was definitely in the top 15 in most categories. Let's take a look:

%: 23rd
FG attempts: 5th
FG made: 5th
20/29: 11th (10/10)
30/39: 11th (8/10)
40/49: 3rd (10/13)
50+: 12th (1/2)

Link: ESPN - NFL Football Statistics and League Leaders - National Football League

There's no baaaaah there, just numbers.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #41
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Let's look at his numbers since there seems to be too much subjective opinion being tossed around here for my taste. He was definitely in the top 15 in most categories. Let's take a look:

%: 23rd
FG attempts: 5th
FG made: 5th
20/29: 11th (10/10)
30/39: 11th (8/10)
40/49: 3rd (10/13)
50+: 12th (1/2)

Link: ESPN - NFL Football Statistics and League Leaders - National Football League
I guess leg strength doesn't matter?

By your standards Morton Anderson is a stud. 25 of 28, (89.3%), 24 of 24 (100%) PAT's. (47 yards was his long)
Suisham 29 of 35 (82.9%), 29 of 30 PAT's (96.7%). (50 was his long)

By those numbers, Anderson is better...maybe we should have invited him into camp? (note- sarcasm)

Who here would take Anderson over Suisham???? This is a case where stats don't prove everything. Let us not forget that missed kick vs Seattle, and he just missed an easy kick in his first preseason game.

Suisham was 18 for 20 inside 39. Only 6 players had more attempts from that length.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #42
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:

There's no baaaaah there, just numbers.
Since you editted this in, I will make a separate comment on it.

Do you recall how he hit that 50 yarder? It was WITH the wind. His other 50 yard attempt was short. Where in your numbers does it show leg strength? Cause at this point, I think we can all safely assume you could care less about leg strength. Is that true? I think several of us would have been happy with a kicker just to do kickoffs at the league min. Someone who could reach the endzone.

Side note, football reference has him down as 0 attempts from 50. I wonder how often they are wrong?

Shaun Suisham Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com
Old 08-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #43
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Since you editted this in, I will make a separate comment on it.

Do you recall how he hit that 50 yarder? It was WITH the wind. His other 50 yard attempt was short. Where in your numbers does it show leg strength? Cause at this point, I think we can all safely assume you could care less about leg strength. Is that true? I think several of us would have been happy with a kicker just to do kickoffs at the league min. Someone who could reach the endzone.

Side note, football reference has him down as 0 attempts from 50. I wonder how often they are wrong?

Shaun Suisham Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com
So you would prefer Sebastian Janikowski, then?
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #44
FRPLG
MVP

I think some people are forgetting what it is like to have a bad kicker. I also think some are completely ignorant to the level of skill held by a large portion of NFL kickers. There are maybe 5 kickers in the NFL who are clearly better than Suisham. The rest are essentially the same guy. All prone to good times and bad times. I have no problem with competition but it has to be real competition and no one has even sniffed at mentioning a guy who could have been brought to really provide competition. Bringing someone in just to provide some mockish competition is silly because it takes a roster spot from a position player that WE NEED to keep our 53 guys fresh and healthy. If we could have brought in say Vinatieri for competition we'd do it obviously but if the competition is someone like Nick Novak then what the hell is the point? If Suisham goes into a funk and sucks wind then we'll go find another guy off the scrap heap. But having some other stiff in camp taking up a roster spot justs seems dumb. I dont see how it helps the kicking game or our team.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #45
SouperMeister
Playmaker

I know it won't help this season, but I'd love to see Vinny use a late round choice in the next draft to select PK Sam Swank from Wake Forest. Swank has hit a number of 50 yard FGs in his career. I saw him live at UVA last year, and the guy puts serious height AND depth on his kickoffs.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote