Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Roy Williams To Skins Heating Up?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #31
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Re: Roy Williams To Skins Heating Up?

I think we may have veered too far towards the 'don't trade picks for players position' after some bad deals. Williams and Chad Johnson are not Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett. I'd be content to go into the draft with a full complement of picks, but you can't say "I'll give you a 5th for Roy Williams, hey he's no Randy Moss and he only got a 4th". That is completely absurd. Javon Walker was dealt for a 2nd, Welker for a 2nd plus, Chris Chambers for a 2nd ... and Williams and Johnson are both top 10 WRs in this league (and before you blast me on that, Nate Clements agrees ESPN - Clements: Numbers don't lie for Harrison - NFL). We'll see what happens, but lets just say 'no thanks' rather than something crazy like 'I'd take him for a 5th', it's becoming the new 'vet min'.

Advertisements
Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #32
djnemo65
Playmaker

If the cost is really a first and Lito then I absolutely hope this goes down. While there is no doubt Williams would instantly improve their offense, their team has too many holes, is aging, is not close enough to getting back to the superbowl to mortgage that much to win now, no matter the age of the QB.

The Eagles achieved what they did through the draft. Their free agency splashes have by and large been disasters.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #33
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
After what the Pats got form Randy Moss I would NOT be willing to give up a first rounder for him at all.
As others have noted, that trade shouldn't be used as a benchmark for what a player is worth. Randy Moss was perceived as an unhappy and unmotivated player with his skills on the decline. Some people speculated that Randy Moss planned to retire because he lost all interest in football. To boot, he was costing the Raiders and arm and a leg in cap space.

Would you trade Roy Williams for a 4th rounder if you were the GM of the Lions? I'm sure you wouldn't. Would you change your mind if someone told you that the Pats got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder? I'm sure you would't. So, I don't think it's realistic to think that trade has any real bearing on trades for young, emerging superstars like Roy Williams.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #34
prinzeofmoval
Special Teams

i hate the word bid...whenever you bid for something you normally pay too much
Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #35
81+83+84=Posse
Camp Scrub

ProFootballTalk.com - Rumor Mill

We’ve picked up some more information about those rumors on GCobb.com that the Philadelphia Eagles will make a move this week for Lions receiver Roy Williams.

The Eagles-based web site says that the Eagles, Cowboys, and Redskins are in the hunt for Williams.

On Monday, however, coach Rod Marinelli and CEO Matt Millen again said that Williams, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, will not be traded.

As we hear it, the Eagles offered cornerback Lito Sheppard and a draft pick a couple of weeks ago, and the Lions flatly refused.
81+83+84=Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #36
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

damn the title scared me,I thought it was talking about the cowboys roy williams
Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #37
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
damn the title scared me,I thought it was talking about the cowboys roy williams
LOL...damn I would hope not.
We need the WR. He's the only person I wouldn't mind throwing a draft pick at. He's a flat out stud and hasn't hit his prime yet.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #38
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
LOL...damn I would hope not.
We need the WR. He's the only person I wouldn't mind throwing a draft pick at. He's a flat out stud and hasn't hit his prime yet.
who cares what he looks like the point is he can play

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #39
hagams
Impact Rookie

Would be a good pickup for us if the price was right. I wouldn't want him on another of the other divisional teams though. If the Eagles are willing to give thier 1st and Lito, we have no chance.
I've said it before, I wouldn't have a problem giving up our 1st for a known talent. There's way to many suprises to be had in this years draft in the later rounds.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #40
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
That's a bold statement.....

Welker is very good, but would not have had the success he did without Moss drawing as much attention he does. Didn't Moss set the TD record for WR this year too (23 I believe). Teams don't gameplan to take away Welker, they do for Moss.

I'd Welker over the lazy Moss in Oak, but the Moss we've seen thusfar in NE is head and shoulders (literally and figuratively) above Welker.
Welker is a true slot reciever. Also, he can return kicks/punts, and can even kick. He is a hard worker and would be a complete asset to any #1 receiver be it Moss, Ward, or even whoever the #1 is in Miami. IMO, and I must stress this IMO, Moss is expendable. The right combination of #1, #2, and #3 receivers is key to success. Its like the two back system. The days of one huge receiver are over, and Welker is its pioneer. He has that unique characteristic to complement any #1 receiver. This is just one twisted veiw, so please dont hurt me.... but once again, give me a choice and I would pick Welker over Moss any day

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #41
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
who cares what he looks like the point is he can play
What are you talking about?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #42
PSUSkinsFan21
The Starter

The guys that have said that they wouldn't give up a first or second-rounder for Roy Williams and would rather use the draft: Are you serious? I just don't understand that logic. What exactly do you hope to get in the draft in the form of a WR at pick 21, or worse at pick 51 in the second round? With the number of WR busts we see every single year, you'd rather take your chances and spend the draft pick on an unproven rookie than on a veteran, pro-bowl caliber WR? I mean seriously, would you rather spend the same pick on a Taylor Jacobs in the second round with the hope that he's the next great thing than spending that same pick on someone who is already a top 12 WR in the NFL? For every superstar WR to come out of any given draft there are typically dozens of disappointments in the early rounds. I like my odds better with a proven commodity.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #43
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSkinsFan21 View Post
The guys that have said that they wouldn't give up a first or second-rounder for Roy Williams and would rather use the draft: Are you serious? I just don't understand that logic. What exactly do you hope to get in the draft in the form of a WR at pick 21, or worse at pick 51 in the second round? With the number of WR busts we see every single year, you'd rather take your chances and spend the draft pick on an unproven rookie than on a veteran, pro-bowl caliber WR? I mean seriously, would you rather spend the same pick on a Taylor Jacobs in the second round with the hope that he's the next great thing than spending that same pick on someone who is already a top 12 WR in the NFL? For every superstar WR to come out of any given draft there are typically dozens of disappointments in the early rounds. I like my odds better with a proven commodity.
Definitely agree. I think people tend to forget that it's not an all or nothing situation. Meaning, shifting to a more "frugal" youth-oriented strategy doesn't mean you ignore all other options. The Redskins have said all along they will spend money if/when a good opportunity presents itself.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #44
That Guy
Living Legend

welker over moss? come on. that's just a terrible idea in every way.

without moss welker doesn't have that season, as moss is FAR more profilic. it's not even close.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #45
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSkinsFan21 View Post
well, he's really not good enough for a 1st when you have to pay him a next bloated contract right away (CJ would be though). a 2nd would be great though, but he's simply not an elite WR, he's just very good.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote