Solid Win For The Skins !!!

Advertisements
Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #32
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Re: A thorough ASS WOOPING!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVIL'S OWN View Post
also on the down the note, which i know, we dont wanna tackle right now, to many damn turnover's we let slip away, against a great team, could cost us a win, if we get fumbles on the ground, we need to secure them....period
Yeah, throughout the game, I was noticing that. The ball was on the ground A LOT and we didn't grab it. But it's a good sign that we getting it loose, and we are getting some of them.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #33
dmek25
MVP

i agree. it does mean alot, the turnover ratio. but right now the skins are generating the turnovers. which is a helluva sight better then last year
Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #34
Rajmahal33
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
GREAT GAME!!! Complete in all phases I thought....not quite sure why they had Thrash running the bomb but whatever.....GREAT GAME!!!!

Great game? or THE greatest game? (for you Colbert Report fans out there)

Seriously, this is the most satisfied I've been with the team in a LOONNNGG time and i'm gonna enjoy this win for a minute... Now, im not saying we are definitely gonna do this or definitely gonna do that (b/c things arent as good or bad as they seem), but it was VERY encouraging that we were able to plug backup guys into spots to replace injured starters before and during the game. We have proven that we are capable of putting points on the board and shutting down a potent offense. This will be especially important against teams like the Cowboys, Pats, and even Green Bay next week.

On a related note, Green Bay is gonna be tough next week, especially after the way they lost last nite. It should be a very good game and I am looking forward to the opportunity to show that we can pull out a performance like this week against a better team on the road (at one of the hardest places to win). HAIL!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #35
paulskinsfan

A very very nice win. I was pleased with the aggressive nature we showed in the 2nd half. Ya know its a good day if even Lloyd catches a pass.
paulskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #36
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
We got away from conservative play calling and used the pass to set up the run...something I've been preaching for a while...and not only did we win, we killed them.
No, we had a QB hit 70% of his passes.

The Lions used the pass to set up the run. Our D played back and dared them to run.

On D - how many guys did Detroit have on the line? I honestly don't know. Also, it seemed to me that many of our big plays came off play action. Even if the run got stuffed a few times, we kept at it and played off of it.

I wouldnt say the play calling was more aggressive than it has been it the past. I would agree that both the passing and running game showed some more diversity. Seemed like more intermediate routes were run and, of course, the direct snaps. Watch for that in the future with the playaction pass to JC. (Ohhh here's one - direct snap to portis, who hands it ARE on a reverse who throws it to JC who was split out wide).

Seriously, the play calling was simply not that much different than last week. On offense our QB played his best game ever, our defense played lights out ALL GAME- If we were able to make those statements about the Giants game, we would be 4-0.

Seriously, has anyone broken down how Detroit's D was playing us? I didn't hear the commentators say anything about it during the game. I am supposing they played some version of the Cover 2. Did they have 7 or 8 in the box?

Also what % of our offensive plays had 3 or WR's? Just curious.

If it turns out that the majority of our snaps were from the spread offense or their D was playing us pass first - THEN i would concede the pass set up the run. But it seemed to me the offense was pretty much 2WR, 2TE type and the D was playing their front 7 right up on the line. That, to me, says run first both from how we play and what the other side feels they must stop.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #37
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
What do you think changed in the play calling today??

Just curious.
Old man let Al call the plays today. No way Gibbs/Buges would've called a quick slant on 4th and 2 (defining play of the game).

Not to take any credit away from Gibbs for this win, but letting Al have a free hand (or a freer hand) worked well.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #38
Monksdown
The Starter

That sounds like speculation. Al works around the clock with Joe to develop a scheme that will take advantage of our opponent. Joe uses what he thinks will work, while simultaneously taking recommendations from upstairs. that's my guess.

This weeks opponent could only be described as a wet paper bag.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #39
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrykaine View Post
Old man let Al call the plays today. No way Gibbs/Buges would've called a quick slant on 4th and 2 (defining play of the game).

Not to take any credit away from Gibbs for this win, but letting Al have a free hand (or a freer hand) worked well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown View Post
That sounds like speculation. Al works around the clock with Joe to develop a scheme that will take advantage of our opponent. Joe uses what he thinks will work, while simultaneously taking recommendations from upstairs. that's my guess.
Now now - we all know that Joe only calls the plays when we lose.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #40
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrykaine View Post

I'm soooo tired of this line of patter. Like they didn't let Al call the plays all season long and all of last year? Why do you think this? Do you really think Joe Gibbs jumps into the headset relay between Al and JC and just calls some other play? Or that during a drive he tells Al to do something different? Or that he said to Al: look, I respect your playbook and all, but don't call this page or that page or that page?

Here's another possibility: Al is calling the plays in the way he wants, given his consultation with the offensive staff and his knowledge of the players we have and the D we play. And some days it works well, and others it doesn't. I know that lots of us think JG is god, he can't be criticized or whatever (this is obviously an exaggeration, but you get the idea), but this idea that Al is god, and that the success is his but the failure isn't is also incorrect.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #41
JoeRedskin

How the Detroit press perceived the "pass-first" play calling:

"The attendance did not include the 46 Lions players who didn't do much more than watch the Redskins dominate them in every way, using a game plan that was similar to the one coach Joe Gibbs used to beat the Lions for the first time in 1981.

They played it safe. Their running game set up a precision passing attack by Jason Campbell. The pass rush from the defensive line let the secondary choke off the passing lanes."

ROADSKINNED: Lions outplayed in D.C. rout
Old 10-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #42
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

simply put....it seems like JC is more comfortable with more plays, and it showed with the array of playcalling yesterday.....detroit never knew what was coming....the random QB sneak (that really shouldve been a 1st), the Portis QB formations. the quick slant to randle el. the pump fake and pitch, the pump fake to one side, and quick pass to the other.....all things JC told saunders he wasnt comfortable doing in his first few starts. Now that Al and JC have confidence in JC......other teams are gonna have to prepare for everything, our offense was the most threatening i have seen it since brad johnson and stephen davis. And the run wasnt even THAT dominant.......We didnt need 8 yards per carry to maintain drives, we had very few busted plays, and the defense sensed that and displayed their best defensive performance since 2005. May I add...the blind side pass protection has been unbelievable....samuels is having another pro-bowl season...and kendal is proving to be a steal...not to add Bugel is our MVP on our staff right now.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #43
JoeRedskin

More from Detroit:

Gibbs concocts simple formula

"There was nothing fancy. Washington ran 35 times for 118 yards and a touchdown. Quarterback Jason Campbell completed 23 of 29 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns without an interception. His passer rating for the game was 125.3.

Lions cornerback Fernando Bryant thought it was a vintage Gibbs game plan.

'They did what they do well,' Bryant said. 'We didn't get them out of their comfort zone.'

'Joe Gibbs' game plan against you is to grind you. He's going to run the ball. He's going to protect the ball. He's going to be safe and secure in his throws.'"

Guess nobody told Fernando that JG didn't make the game plan. <- Sarcasm font.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #44
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

he didn't make the gameplan...but he does bring the Gibbs mentality....which definitely has an effect on the gameplans on both sides of the ball
Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #45
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Now now - we all know that Joe only calls the plays when we lose.
Seriously...I mean, I was one of the louder critics last week. Mostly because I didn't like the number of play action passes. Also, I was critical of Betts on the goal line, but to say that Joe turned the reins over to Al yesterday is just stupid.

I apologize if hurrykaine was being sarcastic.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote