thekingrobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #32
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Campbell facing imposing challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinNasty View Post
So you expect a fall off... even though they improved the talent?
Enough talk. Everybody knows Miami had a great defense last year, and chances are that should carry over into this year. But, until the game is played nobody knows for sure what to expect. Let's see what happens, and come back after the game and talk then.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #33
Big Dave
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Enough talk. Everybody knows Miami had a great defense last year, and chances are that should carry over into this year. But, until the game is played nobody knows for sure what to expect. Let's see what happens, and come back after the game and talk then.
I think adding Joey Porter actually makes this defense even better. DC Dom Capers simplified things for the secondary as well as Saban had too many options for the safeties to think about. Hopefully fans on either side will not cut their wrists thinking it's the end of the world if they lose.

The winner of this game will be the one that dominates the line of scrimmage. You can say this about any game, but this the supreme key for this game. If you are a fan of defense then this will be your game.

Quote:
You are Jason Campbell. You are the Washington Redskins quarterback this weekend. You are facing the Dolphins defense. And you have issues.
On the field, you see Jason Taylor, only the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2006, and he's charging you like a locomotive with no brakes. On the other side is a snarling, scowling Joey Porter and he's coming just as hard as Taylor -- except that's not your left tackle trying to block him.
It's your running back.

This is a bad situation getting worse because the Dolphins also have ascending pass-rusher Matt Roth chasing you, Vonnie Holliday, too. Your running game has been clogged like an old sink, the secondary is confusing you with funky coverages and defensive wizard Dom Capers hasn't even started with his zone blitzes yet.

You are Jason Campbell. Can you overcome these problems to beat the Dolphins?

That's the most fundamental question Sunday. It's the question that could determine the game's outcome.

And this as well.

Quote:
The Dolphins -- despite their warts the past four seasons -- have feasted on young quarterbacks as if they were turkeys on Thanksgiving. Young quarterbacks Tim Hasselbeck, Matt Cassel, Brooks Bollinger, Tim Rattay and even Rex Grossman all have been victimized by Miami's defense during that time.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #34
mheisig
The Starter

Campbell was 12/21 222 yds and 2 INTs - not a stellar game, but I'd put that on Campbell just being young and inexperienced not on Miami's vaunted defense.

It was a tight, defensive game just like everyone expected. It seems Miami took Portis and our running game for granted as if it just wouldn't be an issue, especially given that article in the Miami Herald. The Skins ended up with 194 rushing yards on the day, Portis with 98 yards and a 5.7 YPC average.

Funny that the thing the Dolphins pretty much ignored turned out to be the most potent part of our offense.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #35
MTK
\m/

Even though he threw 2 picks I thought JC held up well.

The first pick might have been due to Cooley running a lazy route. The second one I didn't mind either since he was taking a deep shot with Lloyd one on one. With his jumping ability that was worth the risk.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #36
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss View Post
Portis isn't the guy you have to watch out for it's Betts, Portis's health in this one wont make a bit of difference, he's not a power runner, Betts is quicker to the hole and stronger, he's much more suited for this game. as your front 7 will make running very difficult. Mason if he see's time would be the other guy that could do damage as well, I like him more than Rock.
Hmmm, really?

Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #37
jbcjr14
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinNasty View Post
Well, thats because I dont believe your offense is one of the best in the league... like the Fins defense is.

Its good though... I aint slamming it. I'm not expecting a shut out by any means. But you arnt going to light up our defense. I am predicting 13-17 pts from your offense (but your D could score too with our offense)...

And I also think your offense would be getting more respect if Portis was healthy and ready to go. That is another reason I dont think it is getting as much credit as you feel it deserves...
I'm pretty sure that ole CP answered these questions for ya! Good game and your defense needs some help stopping the run. Late in the game they really started to get tired and gashed which tells me the depth isn't there to spell that front 7. Don't get me wrong as I still think they are a great defense, but didn't have the better day today in regards to the run game.