A-Rod is red-hot

Other Sports

Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #31
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: A-Rod is red-hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Well I never said I hated Yankees players. I respect most that I think are good. I just hate the system and I cant hate the Yankees front office too. Their organization will not want change either, because it will end their chances of buying championships in the future.
Well the "player" being the Yankees in this case. Others should take more advantage of the system, but they don't. Or they do in different ways. Like the Brewers who decided instead of going after big name free agents they'd invest heavily in their minor league system.

Advertisements
Old 04-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #32
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well the "player" being the Yankees in this case. Others should take more advantage of the system, but they don't. Or they do in different ways. Like the Brewers who decided instead of going after big name free agents they'd invest heavily in their minor league system.
Ok, but wouldnt you like to see the MLB adopting a stricter policy on a salary cap, and amount spent on players/potentials? I think it would be great for the game, but it wont happen.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #33
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
True, like Peyton Manning. Isn't it interesting though that both of these guys are MOST hated by people in Boston? That's not a coincidence aboout our New England sports fans, they just love to hate people.
That's just it. I disagree that A-rod is in a no win situation. When you win people shut up. People said Billy Donovan and Peyton Manning couldn't get it done, and now people don't say that anymore.

It's hard to feel sorry for a guy who makes that much money, especially when he hasn't been able to justify his contract at the most important times.

Either win the world series or at least play well in the postseason. I don't think that's too much to ask from one of the game's best players.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:17 PM   #34
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
That's just it. I disagree that A-rod is in a no win situation. When you win people shut up. People said Billy Donovan and Peyton Manning couldn't get it done, and now people don't say that anymore.

It's hard to feel sorry for a guy who makes that much money, especially when he hasn't been able to justify his contract at the most important times.

Either win the world series or at least play well in the postseason. I don't think that's too much to ask from one of the game's best players.
Have you seen the South Park episode about homeless people? The NY fans are just like the homeless, once you give them change they will forget right away.

Once A-Rod does well, or they win a series, the fans will forget right away. I dont buy that since he makes a ton of money people should be able to boo him. That is just terrible. If anything since he such a good proven player, he should get a benefit of the doubt and the fans should STFU.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #35
hooskins

Anyone watching the Yankees game right now!!??!

The Yankees were up 3-0 and the Red Sox just hit three straight home runs!!! Its 3-3 now.

Wow amazing game guys, you guys should switch over.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #36
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Ok, but wouldnt you like to see the MLB adopting a stricter policy on a salary cap, and amount spent on players/potentials? I think it would be great for the game, but it wont happen.
Like a hard cap for each team?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #37
hooskins

Holy shit, they just hit the 4th in a row!!!

all in the bottom of the 3rd...4 straight homeruns to take the lead...

4-3
Old 04-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #38
hooskins

First time in Sox history, 4 HRs in a row.

Last time this was done in the MLB was 40 years ago....wow...
Old 04-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #39
hooskins

Quote:
Yeah atleast for the payroll, some other kind of cap on other spending like D-league.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #40
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Holy shit, they just hit the 4th in a row!!!

all in the bottom of the 3rd...4 straight homeruns to take the lead...

4-3
It was great!
I'm from Boston, I used to have season tickets til I moved away in 97...I gave the tickets to my brother.
I had tickets to game 6 of the 04 world series, but we swept...so I was there for the parade and took all sorts of pictures. I dedicated one room to the 04 red sox...I even have an autographed baseball from every Red Sox player that started in the world series that year. Damon, Ramirez, Pedro...all of them. I have autographed pictures...I have the complete danbury mint gold cards for the 04 sox. I went crazy. I still get chills when I think about that team coming back from 3 games down vs the evil empire to win it all.

ps- the Yanks are cursed and no one knows it. I call it the curse of the Moose. When they overpaid for him, they haven't won since. The curse is due to their ability to overspend "because they can".
Old 04-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #41
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Baseball really needs this. This would help teams like the KC Royals to actually be competitive.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #42
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The Royals have no one to blame but themselves. Their ineptitude on the field is due more to poor decision making than any salary cap concerns. Only the Royals would foolishly give Gil Meche a 5 year, $55 million contract.

Due to revenue sharing, the Royals received about $50 million in 2005 (as best I recall, it was somewhere around this number). Add to that local ticket sales (usually derived from top teams like the Yankees coming to town) plus local tv revenue and you're looking at at least $65 million (conservative estimate) in revenue coming into KC. Yet their payroll in 2005 was under $30 million.

So where is the rest of that money going? And why are small market teams like Oakland and Minnesota able to compete? And even teams like Milwaukee, and Cincinnati have gotten stronger.

The Royals are essentially being funded by the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Dodgers of MLB yet I have no idea what they're doing with it. Beyond Alex Gordon, I don't even know what sort of future they have
Old 04-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #43
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
The Royals have no one to blame but themselves. Their ineptitude on the field is due more to poor decision making than any salary cap concerns. Only the Royals would foolishly give Gil Meche a 5 year, $55 million contract.

Due to revenue sharing, the Royals received about $50 million in 2005 (as best I recall, it was somewhere around this number). Add to that local ticket sales (usually derived from top teams like the Yankees coming to town) plus local tv revenue and you're looking at at least $65 million (conservative estimate) in revenue coming into KC. Yet their payroll in 2005 was under $30 million.

So where is the rest of that money going? And why are small market teams like Oakland and Minnesota able to compete? And even teams like Milwaukee, and Cincinnati have gotten stronger.

The Royals are essentially being funded by the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Dodgers of MLB yet I have no idea what they're doing with it. Beyond Alex Gordon, I don't even know what sort of future they have
I was using the Royals as an example...there are over 15 other teams that fall into this trap as well.
Oakland would have a dynasty if they had the money to keep their top notch talented players, but they don't. They are the farm team for MLB. It's not right. Imagine Giambi, Zito, Mulder, Hudson, Tejada all on the same team at the top of their games...not a single player is still on the team.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #44
hooskins

Yeah, SS dont you think there should be some kind of change? How is the current system fair?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #45
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Yeah, SS dont you think there should be some kind of change? How is the current system fair?
FYI- I don't believe that revenue sharing is fair...don't take away money from teams that earned it. Make your team earn it. A salary cap would be the right answer, that way everyone plays under the same rules. Every sport does it but baseball.
Hockey - cap
Basketball - cap
Football - complicated cap
NASCAR - restrictions on cars to equal the playing field.

Why not baseball?