Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Moss for Coles (merged)

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the Santana Moss for L. Coles deal?
Yes 43 60.56%
No 28 39.44%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #31
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Re: Moss for Coles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Moss is probably just as fast as Coles plus he's not playing with a bum toe.

The book on Moss from Scouts Inc.

Very, very similar. You're right Matty. Coles is probably alot stronger and slightly quicker.

I guess we're going have to get Moss into the weight room, so he can improve his upper body strength.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #32
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
I don't like this trade. We take a 9 mil hit this year and we have to give Moss a new big contract or risk losing him next year. And he's not even as good as Coles, and I am probably one of the biggest Coles detractors on this website. However, Coles is better than Moss. Why can't they just get a draft pick? Why do they always need to bring in other teams problems?
Nothing is official yet, including the details on whether or not we will have to take the full hit or if he's going to give the $5M back.

How is Moss a problem?

Everybody always wants draft picks, but will a rookie WR be ready to make the same impact as Moss? Very doubtful.

I'm just glad we're getting something out of this deal.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #33
Shane
Special Teams

Quote:
Moss is probably just as fast as Coles plus he's not playing with a bum toe.

The book on Moss from Scouts Inc.
Congratulations, Matty, on your prescient prediction. And thanks for the scouting report.

One thing you can say is that with the new NFL rules or new pattern of rule enforcement on receiver coverage, I think a player like Santana Moss is given even more of an advantage and will thrive.

This is a move that I think would be terrific for the Redskins. Moss is a superbly talented player, and I think he will fit in very well here. I like that he is a community contributor as well and has a foundation - that is a good sign about character.

So, if all of this goes through - and I know we shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch though - we could have Moss to go with Jacobs, with Thrash there and still draft a receiver at #9 unless the talent level of other players available at other positions is definitely greater.

We are lucky that they have such affection for Coles in New York because other teams might not be so willing to risk such a trade with his health concerns.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #34
Schneed10
A Dude

From Mark Maske's chat running today from 11am to Noon on the WP website. Maske likes a Coles - Moss swap.

Los Angeles, Calif.: CBS Sportsline is reporting that the Skins are trading Coles to the Jets for Santana Moss. Straight up deal, with the Skins eating all of Coles' contract.

All things considered, it doesn't seem like a bad deal if it goes through.

Mark Maske: When the Redskins drafted Rod Gardner, Dan Snyder wanted Santana Moss but Marty Schottenheimer wanted Gardner. That's one where Snyder was right. If they could get Santana Moss for Laveranues Coles, under the current circumstances, that would be a very good trade for the Redskins, I think.

And I think Matty's right in a way, getting something out of this Coles fiasco is better than nothing. And I said this in another thread, they may eat a big cap hit now, but next year looks a lot better than it did before.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #35
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

This trade might not make sense to most of you, but we're getting rid of a player WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE! Thats all that should matter. We're getting a starting WR who is better than any of the receiver we have right now.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:03 PM   #36
drew54
The Starter

NO THANKYOU.

Lets continue to build our team the right way thru the draft.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #37
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Nothing is official yet, including the details on whether or not we will have to take the full hit or if he's going to give the $5M back.

How is Moss a problem?

Everybody always wants draft picks, but will a rookie WR be ready to make the same impact as Moss? Very doubtful.

Matt, there were several teams interested in him. They could have used the #9 for one WR and signed lower tiered free agent or started Jacobs as the other WR. Then they could have used the draft pick from Coles to help another area of the team. I am sure with the teams interested that they could have gotten a high pick out of one of them. And now we have to give Moss the big deal that the Jets don't want to give him. Whereas the Jets are getting Coles who's better than Moss at like 2 mil a year while we have to pay the big money for a lesser player. I don't think we are making out on this deal all that well. I know you are saying it's better than nothing, but if Samuels gets a new deal in place then cutting him for nothing would no longer be an option anyway. If he agrees to give up the 5 mil, I will back off a bit but the way this looks now i hate it.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #38
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
From Mark Maske's chat running today from 11am to Noon on the WP website. Maske likes a Coles - Moss swap.

Los Angeles, Calif.: CBS Sportsline is reporting that the Skins are trading Coles to the Jets for Santana Moss. Straight up deal, with the Skins eating all of Coles' contract.

All things considered, it doesn't seem like a bad deal if it goes through.

Mark Maske: When the Redskins drafted Rod Gardner, Dan Snyder wanted Santana Moss but Marty Schottenheimer wanted Gardner. That's one where Snyder was right. If they could get Santana Moss for Laveranues Coles, under the current circumstances, that would be a very good trade for the Redskins, I think.

And I think Matty's right in a way, getting something out of this Coles fiasco is better than nothing. And I said this in another thread, they may eat a big cap hit now, but next year looks a lot better than it did before.
The Snyder aspect is interesting because it inevitably leads to the question of how much of this was Snyder wanting to finally get Santana Moss

I don't think it's a bad move really. I might have held out a bit longer to see if any other better offers came along but time is a factor with that bonus for Coles set to kick in on Monday I believe
Old 02-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #39
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:

How is Moss a problem?

When I said Moss is a problem I menat in that he wants the Jets to give him a new big deal. I was not implying that he is a locker room problem or a bad guy.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:19 PM   #40
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
Matt, there were several teams interested in him. They could have used the #9 for one WR and signed lower tiered free agent or started Jacobs as the other WR. Then they could have used the draft pick from Coles to help another area of the team. I am sure with the teams interested that they could have gotten a high pick out of one of them. And now we have to give Moss the big deal that the Jets don't want to give him. Whereas the Jets are getting Coles who's better than Moss at like 2 mil a year while we have to pay the big money for a lesser player. I don't think we are making out on this deal all that well. I know you are saying it's better than nothing, but if Samuels gets a new deal in place then cutting him for nothing would no longer be an option anyway. If he agrees to give up the 5 mil, I will back off a bit but the way this looks now i hate it.
Perhaps with the Vikes moving up to #7 the Skins saw the writing on the wall that Williams could possibly be gone by the time they pick at #9.

With picking up Moss I think this gives us more flexibility with the #9 pick, we could address another need with it like taking a CB, or we could trade down, taking a WR is no longer a must.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:20 PM   #41
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
The Snyder aspect is interesting because it inevitably leads to the question of how much of this was Snyder wanting to finally get Santana Moss

I don't think it's a bad move really. I might have held out a bit longer to see if any other better offers came along but time is a factor with that bonus for Coles set to kick in on Monday I believe
Could be, but it's possible Moss was simply the best player that was being offered by any team, and Gibbs simply didn't want a pick in return. He seems to really like free agency and the opportunity to improve your team quickly with veteran players and this deal is along those same lines.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:20 PM   #42
Cush
Impact Rookie

Moss is supposed to be on ESPN Radio in a few minutes (a replay of an interview that was done earlier today)

http://1050espnradio.com/
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #43
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Perhaps with the Vikes moving up to #7 the Skins saw the writing on the wall that Williams could possibly be gone by the time they pick at #9.

With picking up Moss I think this gives us more flexibility with the #9 pick, we could address another need with it like taking a CB, or we could trade down, taking a WR is no longer a must.
I still see the WR as a must becasue I only see Moss as being a replacement for Grdner, I don't see him as a quality #1 WR.

I see what your saying about flexibility in the draft though. I also don't believe the Vikes will use #7 on a WR. I think they need defense. They scored like 30 a game in the weeks Randy Moss was out of the lineup. Also can you imagine the pressure on a WR being taken with the pick that Randy Moss was traded for. Way to much pressure on a rookie. At least if they go defense with #7 it's harder to make a direct comparison of Moss and a defensive player. The Vikes have a late first round pick also that they could take a WR with.

Or look at it this way. the Vikes were one of the teams reportedly interested in Coles. if the SKins had traded Coles to the Vikes that would remove the possibility of them taking a WR at #7.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #44
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Apparently the Vikings are interested in Mason. So, I think they might be looking for a defensive player at the number 7 pick.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:41 PM   #45
celts32
Playmaker

I will breath a lot easier on draft day if the Vikes add a WR in free agency.

Although i don't like Moss much, if this trade does happen he does bring the speed to get deep and he would make a nice compliment to the big sure handed Mike Williams who I hope they add in April. I just don't like Moss as the main WR but I could see him as a real good #2 with deep speed.