Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Gibbs called the final 4 plays...(No he didn't)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #31
MTK
\m/

Re: Gibbs called the final 4 plays..

Not sure why people aren't getting this but they had to spike the ball in order to get the different personnel package in for the goal line. Spiking the ball was the least of our problems during that series.

Advertisements
Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #32
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Not sure why people aren't getting this but they had to spike the ball in order to get the different personnel package in for the goal line. Spiking the ball was the least of our problems during that series.
That makes sense. I was a tad inebriated by that point in the 4th quarter and I've been pretty much working non-stop the past few days. Didn't occur to me that was the case. But that's still no excuse for rushing that all-important 4th down play. We could have taken 10 seconds longer and maybe squeezed out that extra half-yard. Oh wel. Coulda woulda shoulda.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #33
MTK
\m/

I agree there was no need to rush the last play, but I think that's due to having a young QB in there.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #34
GiantsSuck703

I have never liked the pick up of Al Saunders, it just never seemed like a good idea. Look at the divisions he coached in NFC west, and AFC west, they are mostly finesse divisions. The NFC east is more of a smashmouth division, Saunders seems to try to many gimmick plays rather than impose this offenses will on other teams. Its not like the talent isnt there, he just mis-uses it. I dont care if Gibbs called the last 4 plays, Saunders called all the others building up to it, he doesnt seem to mind putting his defense in a bind at all. I guess a big sign to not pick up Saunders was when his own team wouldnt give him an interview to be the head coach, if he was that talented of a coach he would have been retained in KC, plain and simple.
GiantsSuck703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #35
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsSuck703 View Post
I have never liked the pick up of Al Saunders, it just never seemed like a good idea. Look at the divisions he coached in NFC west, and AFC west, they are mostly finesse divisions. The NFC east is more of a smashmouth division, Saunders seems to try to many gimmick plays rather than impose this offenses will on other teams. Its not like the talent isnt there, he just mis-uses it. I dont care if Gibbs called the last 4 plays, Saunders called all the others building up to it, he doesnt seem to mind putting his defense in a bind at all. I guess a big sign to not pick up Saunders was when his own team wouldnt give him an interview to be the head coach, if he was that talented of a coach he would have been retained in KC, plain and simple.
I myself do not think it was the play calling as much as JC not finding the open WR. I saw 7 to 8 plays where Moss, Cooley, and/or El were wide open and he did not throw the ball there way and thats what I saw while at the game. When I got home my neighbor said on TV it was clear that JC was starring down his WR's and that would account for the guys I saw wide open.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #36
GiantsSuck703

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I myself do not think it was the play calling as much as JC not finding the open WR. I saw 7 to 8 plays where Moss, Cooley, and/or El were wide open and he did not throw the ball there way and thats what I saw while at the game. When I got home my neighbor said on TV it was clear that JC was starring down his WR's and that would account for the guys I saw wide open.
This could be true, but if your able to (tiVo) go back and look at the game, look how many calls on first down were wasted, gimmick plays and just stupid short screen passes.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #37
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
We had them on their heals and by spiking the ball we allowed them to bring in their goal line team which won the game for them. I know hine sight is 20/20 but if JC would have run up and did a QB sneak we would have scored and easy TD. If you have the game on film look at that play and the Giants only had a few men right on the line and everyone else was off the line making that an easy play. My seats were looking right down the goal line and I knew they where going to punch it in and he drops back and spikes the ball. Oh well !
Old 09-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #38
GiantsSuck703

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
We had them on their heals and by spiking the ball we allowed them to bring in their goal line team which won the game for them. I know hine sight is 20/20 but if JC would have run up and did a QB sneak we would have scored and easy TD. If you have the game on film look at that play and the Giants only had a few men right on the line and everyone else was off the line making that an easy play. My seats were looking right down the goal line and I knew they where going to punch it in and he drops back and spikes the ball. Oh well !
Very True
Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #39
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
But w/ a minute left there was plenty of time to call a play at the line. Throw a pass in the end zone. That way if we score then no need to bring in the jumbo package. If it's incomplete then bring in the jumbo casue the clock stops. Wasting a down with that much time was just silly. Don't you think?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #40
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
But w/ a minute left there was plenty of time to call a play at the line. Throw a pass in the end zone. That way if we score then no need to bring in the jumbo package. If it's incomplete then bring in the jumbo casue the clock stops. Wasting a down with that much time was just silly. Don't you think?
Being a Monday morning QB is easy if all worked this thread would not exist and we would be sitting 3-0 then reality sets in.

With that said I do agree. After a quick strike, go at it again, no need on 1st to spike the ball with that much clock, try to hit the corner of the end zone to CC if he doesn't connect nothing lost. The defense more than likely would have been unprepared, then setup a jumbo package with plenty of time, and give the damn ball to BIG MIKE OR CP. LB GREAT asset but use the high percentage back at the goal line.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 AM   #41
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Re: Gibbs called the final 4 plays...(No he didn't)

From JLC,
"Anyway, we all know the Redskins have choked away their fair share of games since this staff took over in 2004. So I got to thinking how they stood up with other teams, and well, as in the overall W/L record the last 15 years or so, their company ain't pretty.

According to Elias, since 2004 the Redskins have 11 losses when leading at the half, which puts them ... worst in the NFL. Oakland (11) and Houston (10) are the only other teams with double-digit loss totals when leading at the half since Gibbs came back to the NFL.

Overall, Washington is a mediocre 15-11 in 26 games when leading at the half since 2004.

The Redskins used to be the team that got a lead and battered opponents like no one else in the game; now it's the opposite. The rosters aren't nearly as good, the front office not nearly as sound, and say what you will of ownership, game-day coaching decisions, etc.as you consider what this stat means, and what it points to. "
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #42
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I have to disagree with some of you when you say that you don't like the 80's Pound the Rock mentality. Personally, I love to see us run and then play action pass. The problem is that we don't have the line right now to wear anyone down. It's one thing when everyone knows you're going to run, it's another all together when everyone knows you're running LEFT. I don't think there's anything wrong with Gibbs' philosophy. Is it extremely conservative? Maybe at times but you know that in the midst of all that pounding that we're going to take 4 or 5 shots down the field. The hallmark of Gibbs coached teams has always been that they're only going to run a small amount of plays from varied formations with excellent execution. Right now, it's that last part that's giving us problems. I think that the bye will give the staff time to adjust the strategy to better suit the injuries on the o line. I'd be surprised if we didn't see JC on more roll outs and three step drops to get the ball out faster and to take some pressure off of our o line.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #43
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I heard that and know that is the case but I think its a terrible waste of a down. I cant belive the team could not have run a play with the guys on the field at the time and scored. I just cant believe having an extra WR on the field instead another TE would have made much difference.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #44
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

they rush the play calling bc they have been so poor in the past with their 2 min offense...delays, miscommunication, etc. i just don't understand why we seem to struggle more than everyone else in the 2 min drill. I understand JC is young, but really...he's done this before...
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #45
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Now this is interesting actually. That number is compelling. Why is it though that the entire second hald felt like we simply were not trying to do anything on offense? Anyone have an answer for that. Anyone here in the second half actually feel like we were still running a balanced offense? I felt the entire second half like all we wanted to do was run the ball and take no chances. But it is hard to argue with 21 of 29
I was at the game and we had 7 to 8 pass plays were JC just did not see a wide open WR. My wife even asked why JC did not throw the ball to the open WR. Then when I get home my budy made the comment that JC was starring down WR's and this would make sense to why he missed the open WR.