John Beck cut...signs with Texans

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #31
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

re: John Beck cut...signs with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Beck had little skill. The problem is more than poise.
Every QB in the NFL has some degree of skill. If Beck didn't have skill, he wouldn't have completed 60.6 % of his passes last season. In the games against the Panthers, Bills, and 49ers, it obviously showed more than anything that he lacked poise when he dropped back to throw. He was worried about making mistakes so much that it effected his overall game.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #32
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I love how you guys are debating the merits of John Beck actually being a halfway decent NFL qb. All I know is he didn't become one, and the odds of him becoming one are just about nil. In fact, I'd be suprised if he made it onto a 53 man roster.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
SkinzzFan
Special Teams

Good riddance. He was never truly a viable option at QB. Plus he gave the most annoying interviews I've ever heard. He always seemed phony to me. It was like he tried to fit as many cliche's as possible into a two minute Q&A.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #34
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I'm thinking back to the level of excitement (that I admittedly contributed to) doing the preseason last year, especially the Indy game about Beck.. Lol. Damn, we got fooled. He was exactly what Miami saw when they cut him.. Gun shy, quick to panic, game was simply too big for him. I don't doubt he's confident in his physical abilities but his arm and ultimately his head were simply not NFL caliber.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

If Mike Shanahan really liked John Beck as much as he said he did back in 2007, why didn't he draft him? Beck went 40th overall to the Dolphins. The Broncos team that Shanahan coached had picks in the 1st and second round which they traded up with Jacksonville in order to get a bust named Jarvis Moss. Still, Shanahan said that he had Beck as the best QB coming out of the draft that year, but he only admits to that after the Redskins acquired Beck in a trade and during the NFL lockout last summer after he stakes his reputation on this bum.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #36
MTK
\m/

We're still talking about this guy?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #37
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
If Mike Shanahan really liked John Beck as much as he said he did back in 2007, why didn't he draft him? Beck went 40th overall to the Dolphins. The Broncos team that Shanahan coached had picks in the 1st and second round which they traded up with Jacksonville in order to get a bust named Jarvis Moss. Still, Shanahan said that he had Beck as the best QB coming out of the draft that year, but he only admits to that after the Redskins acquired Beck in a trade and during the NFL lockout last summer after he stakes his reputation on this bum.
You don't have hindsight when you're in the war room. They liked Moss as a prospect and thought he was going to be something special from their scouting. That's why they took that risk on him. And just because Beck was a a top propsect out of the QBs doesn't mean that players at other positions had a higher grade than him. Plus, with Cutler, there was no pressing need to spend a pick that early on Beck.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #38
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
You don't have hindsight when you're in the war room. They liked Moss as a prospect and thought he was going to be something special from their scouting. That's why they took that risk on him. And just because Beck was a a top propsect out of the QBs doesn't mean that players at other positions had a higher grade than him. Plus, with Cutler, there was no pressing need to spend a pick that early on Beck.
All of that doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is Beck looked good until the ball was snapped. It was that way for him in Miami and in Washington. 0-7 as a starter is a very poor réˇsuˇmé to have. How many quarterbacks who are starters in the NFL or even back ups who started can say they have lost every game that they've started? I can think of the worst quarterbacks still on an NFL roster who have won at least one game. But John Beck can't make that claim. Hopefully for Beck he's not done yet. But I'm wondering who will bring him in for a tryout?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #39
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
All of that doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is Beck looked good until the ball was snapped. It was that way for him in Miami and in Washington. 0-7 as a starter is a very poor réˇsuˇmé to have. How many quarterbacks who are starters in the NFL or even back ups who started can say they have lost every game that they've started? I can think of the worst quarterbacks still on an NFL roster who have won at least one game. But John Beck can't make that claim. Hopefully for Beck he's not done yet. But I'm wondering who will bring him in for a tryout?
You do a poor job of justifying this assertion, since your support points are about a completely different topic. Tell me how Cutler's presence make it not matter, how not having a crystal ball to avoid duds does not matter, and that other players might be ranked higher on the board(i.e Beck was the top prospect, but all of the prospects were ranked at position #90 or below).

Also, way to put yourself on a pedestal. I suppose that you can tell me who exactly from this year's draft is going to be the studs and who will be the duds with you have hindsight and no one else does.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #40
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
You do a poor job of justifying this assertion, since your support points are about a completely different topic. Tell me how Cutler's presence make it not matter, how not having a crystal ball to avoid duds does not matter, and that other players might be ranked higher on the board(i.e Beck was the top prospect, but all of the prospects were ranked at position #90 or below).

Also, way to put yourself on a pedestal. I suppose that you can tell me who exactly from this year's draft is going to be the studs and who will be the duds with you have hindsight and no one else does.
Cutler was already on Denver's team. But Shanahan supposedly liked Beck when he already had a quarterback. Still, if Beck was available, he should have taken him if he thought that highly of him. Jarvis Moss was a risky pick for Denver, but they selected him anyway and got burned for it. Shanahan's evaluation of talent is what eventually got him fired in Denver. This is the same guy who wasted a 3rd round pick on Maurice Clarette. I don't consider a QB taken in the 2nd round a top prospect. Top prospects are those picks taken near the top of any NFL draft or who are projected to be there near the top of a draft. I consider Eli Manning, Big Ben, and Phillip Rivers top prospects.

As I said, it doesn't truly matter because it's past tense and Cutler isn't even in Denver anymore and neither is Shanahan. What difference does it make in 2012? Does that justify enough assertion for you? And lastly, I don't agree with your claim that I place myself on some pedestal. How is that? As far as this year's draft, we can't truly grade the Redskins or the other 31 teams yet because we don't know which draft selections will pan out.

Last edited by REDSKINS4ever; 04-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #41
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Anne Hathaway looks very good until the ball is snapped. Maybe we should have drafted her.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #42
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Anne Hathaway looks very good until the ball is snapped. Maybe we should have drafted her.
I certainly would be willing to keep her on my team!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I feel a strong urge to hijack this thread so I just wanted to say I agree. Even if she sucked at pro football (highly likely) she'd be way more enjoyable than watching John Beck.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #44
el.jeffe58
Camp Scrub

Goodbye and good riddance John. Welcome to our new launchers. I'm excited. Good draft as far as I am concerned.
el.jeffe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #45
budw38
Playmaker

Well , if Seattle got a 1st rd pick for R.Mirer ( Bears ), we should have gotten a 2nd for Beck
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote