Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

F... Lexus Xmas Commercials

Parking Lot

Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #31
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Re: F... Lexus Xmas Commercials

My Dad is in the automobile business (currently VP of Service at a Jaguar/Land Rover dealership), but in years past the dealerships he's worked at had BMW, Lexus, Porsche, Audi, Lincoln, Mercury, so I've had the fortunate opportunity to have been in many makes and models of each brand and even driven a few. Aside from the 911 and 944 I rode in, my absolute favorite is the LS line from Lexus. To me, that car is absolutely stunning and they keep making it better and better. Some of the other models have their Toyota equivalents, and I would certainly opt for the fully loaded Toyota over the entry level Lexus. But the LS is just awesome to me.

When my grandfather could afford it, he bought a Cadillac DeVille because that's what he wanted. My DeVille is the LS. When I'm in my late 50s and I want to buy a car, that's what I hope to be able to afford.

saden - When the RX first came out, I thought it was cool. Then I rode in it, and it completely lost its luster. That thing sucks.

Oh, and yes the commercials are quite annoying...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #32
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
it's a purse they can ride around in. and while the majority of women i've meant don't know the first thing when it comes to cars, they know it's expensive and it makes the other women jealous. Which is enough to know they want one.*

*statement might be slightly sexist
I'm Honda for life. It looks more like a luxury car lately as their designs change from year to year and that's fine with me. The only thing I might switch Honda for is a Scion, Toyota or a Nissan.

Ultimately I want something thats gonna get me from point A to point B, look decent and for Godssake, doesn't cost an arm and a leg to repair.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #33
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I'm Honda for life. It looks more like a luxury car lately as their designs change from year to year and that's fine with me. The only thing I might switch Honda for is a Scion, Toyota or a Nissan.

Ultimately I want something thats gonna get me from point A to point B, look decent and for Godssake, doesn't cost an arm and a leg to repair.
If you like Hondas, why not go Acura? Unlike, I believe, every other luxury make, they come fully loaded. The only option is with Nav or without. I think this is still true...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #34
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
If you like Hondas, why not go Acura? Unlike, I believe, every other luxury make, they come fully loaded. The only option is with Nav or without. I think this is still true...
This car was a hand me down. 2002. My grandfather passed away not long after and the car became mine. My financial position puts me nowhere near a position to pay a car note. So I'm stuck with this car until I get a better job or the damn thing dies.

My dad has an 2010 Acura TL though. The ritzy bastard he is. It looks gorgeous though.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #35
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I too say f Lexus commercials they suck. But im with d-bag in that they have changed the perception of their brand to more of a luxury car, but most people still dont see them in the ranks of BMW or Mercedes.
Ummmm... I'm pretty sure Lexus is widely regarded as a leader in the luxury car market segment. It's really not that debatable.

You're mainstream luxury cars are BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Acura. I believe Lexus has a pretty good lead in market share amongst those four.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #36
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Ummmm... I'm pretty sure Lexus is widely regarded as a leader in the luxury car market segment. It's really not that debatable.

You're mainstream luxury cars are BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Acura. I believe Lexus has a pretty good lead in market share amongst those four.
Maybe true, but I'd take a Mercedes or a Beamer 8 days a week over a Lexus or Acura. There's something special about the way a Benz and Beamer drive. A Lexus is a glorified Toyota, and an Acura is glorified Honda. Infiniti's don't really drive any better than Nissans. Nothing wrong with Honda, Nissan, and Toyota, but I feel like they just slap their top-shelf models with a different name and try to pawn them off as "luxury."

Audi, Benz, BMW... Still far ahead of the rest performance-wise, even if numbers say otherwise.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #37
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post

There are mainstream luxury cars and then there is Mercedes.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #38
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I've been looking into picking up a Lexus IS 350 (used of course). Friend had one for a while and it's a fun car. It's small and quick. The only bad thing about it is 1/4 inch of snow grounds you.

I had an Acura that I absolutely loved. At 250K the transmission died and I considered replacing it rather than getting my current car (Nissan Maxima... yuck. Stay away.)

Drove a BMW 3 series and hated it. It's an uncomfortable ride. The handling was pretty good, but if you're in the car for more than 30 minutes expect to be sore when you get out.

I've always loved the look and feel of Mercedes, but can't bring myself to face the maintenance bills on a German car. Lexus/Acura/Toyota/Honda cars are tanks and will run forever, haven't seen the same from German vehicles.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #39
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Maybe true, but I'd take a Mercedes or a Beamer 8 days a week over a Lexus or Acura. There's something special about the way a Benz and Beamer drive. A Lexus is a glorified Toyota, and an Acura is glorified Honda. Infiniti's don't really drive any better than Nissans. Nothing wrong with Honda, Nissan, and Toyota, but I feel like they just slap their top-shelf models with a different name and try to pawn them off as "luxury."

Audi, Benz, BMW... Still far ahead of the rest performance-wise, even if numbers say otherwise.
Yeah this is the way I see it, but I think audi is just a glorified vw. Don't get me wrong they are very very nice cars but I view bmw and Mercedes in a different class.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #40
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Your smart guy that is a dumb statement. You realize that if you go to Germany you will see BMW's and Benz's that are equivalent to say a Accord, Camary, Focus, etc.... Don't just look at their product line up in this country.

Plus this is a pretty hard car to compete against, I can't think of one BMW or Benz I take over this:

Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #41
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I've been looking into picking up a Lexus IS 350 (used of course). Friend had one for a while and it's a fun car. It's small and quick. The only bad thing about it is 1/4 inch of snow grounds you.

I had an Acura that I absolutely loved. At 250K the transmission died and I considered replacing it rather than getting my current car (Nissan Maxima... yuck. Stay away.)

Drove a BMW 3 series and hated it. It's an uncomfortable ride. The handling was pretty good, but if you're in the car for more than 30 minutes expect to be sore when you get out.

I've always loved the look and feel of Mercedes, but can't bring myself to face the maintenance bills on a German car. Lexus/Acura/Toyota/Honda cars are tanks and will run forever, haven't seen the same from German vehicles.
Bingo and that is why I have a Acura and Toyota. Though my 4Runner pissed me off a year ago with it's rear diff but it has been fine ever since.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #42
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Your smart guy that is a dumb statement. You realize that if you go to Germany you will see BMW's and Benz's that are equivalent to say a Accord, Camary, Focus, etc.... Don't just look at their product line up in this country.

Plus this is a pretty hard car to compete against, I can't think of one BMW or Benz I take over this:

Why would I look at their product line up in other countries? I live here, and here their cars are better than the Toyotas of the world.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #43
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

For half the price and better performance I am inclined to take the Mercedes SLS AMG among other super cars.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #44
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:

My father in law had the two door sports Mercedes and now has the 4 door and both are pretty bad cars. I drove both and it was fun for the day but I don't think I could ever spend that much money on a car. I just don't care that much about a car a driving tro care to own something that expensive. The most I have ever spent on a car to date is $14,500 but I have always had nice cars just not the top of the line. I also drive them into the ground.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #45
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Why would I look at their product line up in other countries? I live here, and here their cars are better than the Toyotas of the world.

Honestly I could careless it is matter of preference i just want to let you know Benz and BMW make non-luxury cars as well.

If you went down the line up of cars I pick most BMW over most Lexus models. Like I rather have a M5 over a GS any day. Do I know that the GS will out last the M5 most definitley but the M5 is way cooler and more fun to drive.

If you are in the market for those cars you probably keep them for a few years then move on so reliability is probably not tops on your wish list.