F...TVs

Parking Lot

Old 09-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #31
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I'd think a $300 repair bill for a $3,000 TV is not that bad. I'm still kind of stuck on the $3,000 TV thing. If I did not have direct TV I would have had to buy those converter boxs for all of my TV's. I'm just one of those if it is not broke why buy a new one. We did have one TV go out but my parents had just purchased a large flat screen and gave us their 36 or something TV that has a good picture. I do like the HD stuff out but I just do not watch enough TV to run out and spend a grand on a TV.

I think you are missing the point, the TV was $3000 in 2006 you can now get a better verison of that TV in the range of 600 to 800. Why drop 300 and have it break again when I can get a new one that is better for 600 with a warrenty.

To be honest I kind have gotton use to watching it that way, really is not that bad I may just hold off.

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #32
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I think you are missing the point, the TV was $3000 in 2006 you can now get a better verison of that TV in the range of 600 to 800. Why drop 300 and have it break again when I can get a new one that is better for 600 with a warrenty.

To be honest I kind have gotton use to watching it that way, really is not that bad I may just hold off.
You can buy a 42" HDTV for $600 to $800? I know they have really dropped in price and thought you could get a 36" for around that price but not one that big.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #33
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You can buy a 42" HDTV for $600 to $800? I know they have really dropped in price and thought you could get a 36" for around that price but not one that big.

This one is $599 if you add it to your cart. Mind you it is only a 720p but is high def, plasma and 42 inches. Plus it is the awesome Panasonic brand that many toot here.

Panasonic 42 in. (Diagonal) Class 720p 600 Hz Plasma HD Television
Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #34
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
This one is $599 if you add it to your cart. Mind you it is only a 720p but is high def, plasma and 42 inches. Plus it is the awesome Panasonic brand that many toot here.

Panasonic 42 in. (Diagonal) Class 720p 600 Hz Plasma HD Television
It's a 720p, not worth having.

Gotta be 1080p and 120Hz as a minimum.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #35
MTK
\m/

720p is fine for a smaller set, like in your bedroom, but for your main set and at the 42" size, you definitely should go for the 1080p for just a little more.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #36
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I have had this argument a million times but everything you watch on TV from football to soaps is flimed in 720p not 1080p, very few movies/shows/programs/etc are actually flimed in 1080p so why buy a 1080p TV that you are watching a 720p picture on?

Plus I am willing to bet if you put equal quality TV's next to each other but their only difernce was 720 vs 1080 the average Amercian couldn't not tell you the differnce.

480 to 720 = quantuim leap in viewing quality

720 to 1080 = a hop scotch in viewing quality

Now with that said you could get that same TV 1080p for 799, the dealt in price between the two is shrinking greatly. So for 200 bones more what the hell go live in the fantsay 1080 world you will love it!

HDTVexpert — Front Line: 1080P — Time for a Reality Check!

Last edited by mredskins; 09-29-2009 at 09:22 AM.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #37
MTK
\m/

Hey it's totally up to the individual but I can see the difference between a 720p and a 1080p set. With a smaller screen you probably won't but 42" and up you will notice small differences.

Plus, if you have or want a blu-ray player you will definitely want the 1080p set.

Again it's really not a big deal. Whatever works for you.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #38
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Hey it's totally up to the individual but I can see the difference between a 720p and a 1080p set. With a smaller screen you probably won't but 42" and up you will notice small differences.

Plus, if you have or want a blu-ray player you will definitely want the 1080p set.

Again it's really not a big deal. Whatever works for you.
I agree it is what is best for you. If firstdown has been watching CRT's his whole life and he buys a 720p HD TV he is going to be blown away at a great price.

To be honest they don't make many 720 TV's anymore.

Can someone explain the HZ to me why would you want 120hz vs. 600hz?

thank you!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #39
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I agree it is what is best for you. If firstdown has been watching CRT's his whole life and he buys a 720p HD TV he is going to be blown away at a great price.

To be honest they don't make many 720 TV's anymore.

Can someone explain the HZ to me why would you want 120hz vs. 600hz?

thank you!
Hz is the refresh rate

What Is The Difference Between 120Hz (LCD TVs) and 600Hz (Plasma TVs)?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #40
mredskins
Gamebreaker

^ Just more a whole lot to do about nothing.

I bought a new dishwasher over the summer. the options on dishwashers are very obvious but on these TV's to the non-TV guru some if it just seems like fluff, the upgrades to me at least don't seem very tangiable. Lots of smoke and mirriors that no one really understands what is best.

I currently own a LCD, Plasma, and DLP to me they all have the same picture quality. I honestly can not tell the differnce between them.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #41
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Recent article from cNet on 720p vs. 1080p: 720p vs. 1080p HDTVs: 2009 update | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews

Just about all programming is filmed in 720p or 1080i as opposed to 1080p. Here's a decent list of who broadcasts in what: HDTV Listings - HDTV World - CNET.com

I have a 37 inch 720p Sharp Aquos in my bedroom, and it works great. However, when I do replace my TV in the basement, I will go 1080p and get a blu-ray player.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #42
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
^ Just more a whole lot to do about nothing.

I currently own a LCD, Plasma, and DLP to me they all have the same picture quality. I honestly can not tell the differnce between them.
Refresh rate is huge with sports and action movies. Slower refresh rate tend to blur fast moving images on LCDs.

Not being able to tell the difference most likely has to do with what you have coming into your home for viewing, as opposed to what set you are watching it on. While I don't have much experience with Dish or DirecTV, Comcast pushes all their HD content to you via 1080i, so if all your TVs can run 1080i, then you most likely won't notice much difference. The difference will come once you run Blu-Ray between a 1080p TV and a 720p TV.

If you don't plan on going Blu-Ray in the next 5-7 years, then 720p would probably be sufficient. If you play on moving up to Blu-Ray, your best bet would be to spend the extra dough for 1080p.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #43
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Thanks BD for the advice, at this point I will probably wait until Xmas time to replace the TV, it really is not that brothersome and I figure there will be some good deals to have then.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #44
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Refresh rate is huge with sports and action movies. Slower refresh rate tend to blur fast moving images on LCDs.

Not being able to tell the difference most likely has to do with what you have coming into your home for viewing, as opposed to what set you are watching it on. While I don't have much experience with Dish or DirecTV, Comcast pushes all their HD content to you via 1080i, so if all your TVs can run 1080i, then you most likely won't notice much difference. The difference will come once you run Blu-Ray between a 1080p TV and a 720p TV.

If you don't plan on going Blu-Ray in the next 5-7 years, then 720p would probably be sufficient. If you play on moving up to Blu-Ray, your best bet would be to spend the extra dough for 1080p.
I just got a blu-ray last month and the difference really is amazing. It has me hooked on watching movies again. At first the difference is subtle I have to admit, but the more I watch the more differences I notice.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #45
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Thanks BD for the advice, at this point I will probably wait until Xmas time to replace the TV, it really is not that brothersome and I figure there will be some good deals to have then.
Black Friday, man!