Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Haslett to accept Defensive Coordinator

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your opinion on Jim Haslett as defensive coordinator?
Thumbs up 36 27.48%
Thumbs down 14 10.69%
Wait and see 81 61.83%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #31
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Haslett to accept Defensive Coordinator

There is too much to do on offense to restructure the D to a 3-4. Maybe we're going to phase in through hybridization, softening the blow. Haslett can do a 4-3, too. But if we just go pell mell into the 3-4, then it seems that we will have misplaced talent on defense, an impoverished offense, or both.

Ugh.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #32
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Richard Seymour is a FA, thats a good start to building the 3-4. You put him down with AH at the other DE and draft or pick up a NT (Jamal Williams could be cut by SD) and this shaky 3-4 turns into a really good DL like That!

LB wise, Orakpo should be great as a Rush OLB we could draft another OLB in the draft like a George Selvie, Jerry Hughes, Dexter Davis, in the later rounds (2 of them should definitley be around by then) Put Rocky at MLB and Fletch at the other MLB spot (draft a MLB like maybe a Spikes or McClain if we really need to. Get OJ Atogwe from the Rams as our starting FS, and move LaRon to SS. Have a great back up like Horton at SS.
1.) Our first priority should be OL
2.) Haynesworth is best served as a DT.
3.) Richard Seymour will be given the franchise tag.

Don't get to excited about the 3-4 yet, our defense(4-3) could be better with a different DC calling plays.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #33
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
1.) Our first priority should be OL
2.) Haynesworth is best served as a DT.
3.) Richard Seymour will be given the franchise tag.

Don't get to excited about the 3-4 yet, our defense(4-3) could be better with a different DC calling plays.
Exactly, all of the sudden ppl want to sign guys like Seymore and O.J A from STL.. Didn't we learn from our own mistakes? It's like the Mcnabb thread earlier..:smashfrea
Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #34
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Not too hot on this move. Where in the hell are we going to find an NT? Wilfolk may be a free agent if the CBA doesnt go through, but that's all I can think of as far as getting one. Then who plays end and who stands up? We don't have the players for this, hello offensive and defensive overhaul.
Crtystalzed my thoughts eloquently. What the hell is on Haslett's resume that jumps out and says; "This guy will be a great DC!" The D in Pitt from 97-99 was solid, but how much of that had to do with Cowher. The Saints D from 2000-05 was a joke, the Rams from 2006-08 was a joke. I don't like this move. What will compound this potential disaster is a switch to the 3-4.

Why a switch to the 3-4 is bad, at least in the short term:

1) NT - see above
2) DE - We have one superstar in the making at RDE, a solid player in AC who may have another good year or two, and Jarmon we appeared to be strong at LDE before his injury. Both Jarmon and Rak are too small for a 3-4 DE and neither can play LB in a 3-4.
3) Our $ 10M/yr. DT is not a guy who has ever played at NT, he doesn't have a wide, low center of gravity, he would have to be a DE in the 3-4. Haynesworth is a 4-3, 1 technique, DT.
4) We have two LBs, one is a true 4-3 MLB and has a year or two left, McIntosh could make the switch, but we have at least two starting LB positions to fill, while our OL, QB and RB situations are a mess.
5) CBs - in a 3-4 to shut down top offenses the CBs must be physical, Rogers can be physical, but Hall & physical match about as good as "lamb & tuna fish".

Unless the plan is to tank 2010 to get another high draft position and build for 2011, I don't see how Haslett or a switch to the 3-4 makes any sense.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #35
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
dont be shocked if AH is shopped around this offseason.. Haynesworth probably won't want to play a NT
It wouldn't shock me one bit if Haynesworth is traded.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #36
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Yeah I'm not high on switching to a 3-4 either. We just don't have the personnel for it and we'd have to make too many moves if we wanted to be solid defensively. And I'm not too high on Haslett either. His defenses have been absolutely nothing special for as long as I can remember and on top of that the majority of our defense is made for a 4-3.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #37
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
It wouldn't shock me one bit if Haynesworth is traded.
I know DS has deep pockets, but I have a hard time believing he'll just part with the $40+ M signing bonus for AH after 1 year.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #38
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I know DS has deep pockets, but I have a hard time believing he'll just part with the $40+ M signing bonus for AH after 1 year.
I think if we could swap out AH for Vince Wilfork in a possible three team trade, it might be worth entertaining.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #39
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Wow...not often we see a thread in which everyone basically agrees. So the Haslett deal is a head-scratcher. Any guesses what lil D/Allen/Mike could be thinking?

-Evidently there isn't a ton of DC talent out there. Wouldn't that sort of lead one to believe keeping a guy on to maintain what we're doing makes sense i.e. Gray? You want a great mind to help w/ a transition into a totally new scheme like the 3-4 instead of a mediocre mind.

-Is Haslett just a stop-gap? Sure to be gone next year.

I think it's safe to say the defense will not be better this year than last, and maybe likely to get worse.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #40
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think we're going to give 3-4 looks but I really don't think we're going 3-4 full-time
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #41
budw38
Playmaker

And I thought we were going to win the Super Bowl next year (: . Hope they stick with the 4-3 for now .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #42
skinsfan69
Living Legend

good hire. haslett is just what the defense needs. a former player who's a hard ass and won't coddle landry, haynesworth and hall. and why is everyone crying about the 3-4? did any of the coaches say they were switching the defense? people need to relax.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #43
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

But if we did switch to a 3-4....Peppers anyone?

Seriously though I think we won't be using the 3-4 with the regularity some are concerned we will
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #44
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
good hire. haslett is just what the defense needs. a former player who's a hard ass and won't coddle landry, haynesworth and hall. and why is everyone crying about the 3-4? did any of the coaches say they were switching the defense? people need to relax.
No but all reports do

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4820872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #45
LandrySlice
Special Teams

They are not retarded, they aren't just gonna switch Def schemes without having the correct pieces in place. I like Hasslet, he seems to be a no nonsense kind of dude who should keep the players working hard, and the word aggresive makes me tingle.