Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Coroner: Ryan Dunn Died Violent Death

Parking Lot

Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #31
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Coroner: Ryan Dunn Died Violent Death

Whats the big deal eaither way. I can see how someone would say they don't feel sorry fo him at all and I can see how other would think its tragic. Nothing wrong with either view in my opinion.

For the record I'll stick with dumbass.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #32
12thMan
MVP

#1 It's fun to dance around your questions.

Secondly, you lay out hypotheticals that never took place. Death is a raw reality, not coulda shoulda woulda. Let's deal with what happened. As far as I'm concerned had another person been killed, regardless of age, it would have compounded the tragedy, not made it less significant.

That's your prerogative that you don't feel bad for him. I don't think it makes you some tough insensitive guy that has a stick up his ass. Although sometimes I do think that about you
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
wilsowilso

This was a grown man.

It's tragic when a sixteen year old makes a terrible decision and gets behind the wheel after drinking and crashes into a tree.

Not so much when an adult who makes a living doing crazy things basically kills himself by having no regard for the consequences of driving his car on a winding road at 140 freakin miles an hour with a heavy buzz on.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #34
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I can't recall the facts, but I seem to remember he was either going way way too fast or was drunk. If either was the case, that's another perfect example of someone who got what was coming.
He was going over 100 mph I believe. But I meant similar in the sense of your "I'm glad he's dead. He deserved to die" reaction.

My opinion? I find it hard to say I'm glad someone I don't know and who never did any harm to anyone I know is dead. By the same token, I'm not necessarily saddened by it, not his specific death. Maybe I'd be slightly moved if I was a Jackass fan. But as someone, like most of us, who has suffered a tragic loss and seen other suffer it, I do feel bad that a mother lost her child, a friend lost his buddy, a sister lost her brother (etc.).
Old 06-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #35
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He was going over 100 mph I believe. But I meant similar in the sense of your "I'm glad he's dead. He deserved to die" reaction.

My opinion? I find it hard to say I'm glad someone I don't know and who never did any harm to anyone I know is dead. By the same token, I'm not necessarily saddened by it, not his specific death. Maybe I'd be slightly moved if I was a Jackass fan. But as someone, like most of us, who has suffered a tragic loss and seen other suffer it, I do feel bad that a mother lost her child, a friend lost his buddy, a sister lost her brother (etc.).
Quote:
Through a scene reconstruction, the police department also determined that Dunn was driving between 132 and 140 miles per hour when he lost control of his car and ran off the road. The county coroner’s office previously classified the accidental death to be caused by blunt trauma and the heat of the fire from the explosion caused when Dunn’s 2007 Porsche collided with trees.
He wasn't totally off on the speed.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #36
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm glad he's dead. That's what one deserves when driving drunk. This is a much better punishment than a DUI or DWI.

Very glad he didn't take any responsible lives along with him.

Come on, this is exactly like the Haynesworth Brother thread. You really be glad at the death of someone, thats horrible. Even though he was extremely negligent and could have harm many more, I really glad he didnt. RIP

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #37
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
#1 It's fun to dance around your questions.

Secondly, you lay out hypotheticals that never took place. Death is a raw reality, not coulda shoulda woulda. Let's deal with what happened. As far as I'm concerned had another person been killed, regardless of age, it would have compounded the tragedy, not made it less significant.

That's your prerogative that you don't feel bad for him. I don't think it makes you some tough insensitive guy that has a stick up his ass. Although sometimes I do think that about you
Well while you're having fun dancing around the questions, and now avoiding it by saying "let's deal with what actually happened", you're just confirming the fact that you can mount no rational, reasonable argument as to why this should be considered so tragic, "all the way around".

You also mistake me for someone who's trying to be tough. Just the opposite, I'm simply seeking to call it like it is. You however seem to be bending over backwards to display a level of sensitivity that's not at all warranted.

In other words, all told, there's not much thought behind your posts in this thread.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #38
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I may be totally wrong here and I could stepping out of bounds, but I seem to recall Schneed once saying he lost an uncle or someone close to him to a drunk driver.

So keep that in mind as you read his posts here.

That said, I'm not sure there's necessarily a need to get into a is this or this not tragic debate here.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #39
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Well while you're having fun dancing around the questions, and now avoiding it by saying "let's deal with what actually happened", you're just confirming the fact that you can mount no rational, reasonable argument as to why this should be considered so tragic, "all the way around".

You also mistake me for someone who's trying to be tough. Just the opposite, I'm simply seeking to call it like it is. You however seem to be bending over backwards to display a level of sensitivity that's not at all warranted.

In other words, all told, there's not much thought behind your posts in this thread.
Nothing rational about death.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #40
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I may be totally wrong here and I could stepping out of bounds, but I seem to recall Schneed once saying he lost an uncle or someone close to him to a drunk driver.

So keep that in mind as you read his posts here.

That said, I'm not sure there's necessarily a need to get into a is this or this not tragic debate here.
Yes that's true. I really don't think it's coloring my opinion here though. I have no emotional connection to Ryan Dunn or Albert Haynesworth's brother.

I just see people like that as the dregs of society who we're all better off without. His friends and family, sure they feel the loss. But without that emotional connection, there's not really an argument that can be made refuting the fact that the roads are now safer and thus society better off.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #41
itvnetop
Playmaker

History of Speeding

I think some citizens should be forced to use public transportation after a certain number of mishaps.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #42
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Yes that's true. I really don't think it's coloring my opinion here though. I have no emotional connection to Ryan Dunn or Albert Haynesworth's brother.

I just see people like that as the dregs of society who we're all better off without. His friends and family, sure they feel the loss. But without that emotional connection, there's not really an argument that can be made refuting the fact that the roads are now safer and thus society better off.
But I think-and I'm not trying to get all Frasier Crane here-you have an emotional connection to losing someone to a drunk driver. So whereas most of us don't really feel anything for Ryan Dunn other than general sorrow that a live was lost, you're actually saying you're glad (though I know you did back down from that) that he's dead.

And I think it's partly because you're probably thinking he's not the drunk driver I really wish was dead, but he'll do.

I don't know. Maybe I'm all over the place with this, but like you said friends and family have an emotional connection. I'm not sure what reason any of us who don't know him would.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #43
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
But I think-and I'm not trying to get all Frasier Crane here-you have an emotional connection to losing someone to a drunk driver. So whereas most of us don't really feel anything for Ryan Dunn other than general sorrow that a live was lost, you're actually saying you're glad (though I know you did back down from that) that he's dead.

And I think it's partly because you're probably thinking he's not the drunk driver I really wish was dead, but he'll do.

I don't know. Maybe I'm all over the place with this, but like you said friends and family have an emotional connection. I'm not sure what reason any of us who don't know him would.
You may be right, an intelligent perspective from you as always. I can tell you that my opinion towards Dunn is in no way consciously connected to the loss of my uncle. But they do call it a subconscious for a reason, perhaps that's affecting me in some way I'm not aware of. Who knows.

But one thing about me above all else, I'm as close to Spock as a person can be (recognizing that also dictates I'm a pretty big nerd, granted). But the logic is irrefutable:

- Drunk drivers are a threat to others on the road
- A drunk driver who dies can no longer drive drunk
- Hence there is one less threat to others on the road

So yes, glad is the wrong word. I actually feel no emotional reaction whatsoever. I do however see the positive in the situation, we PA area folk are all just a little safer today. That's just the raw fact of the matter, just how it is. And that's something I've never shied away from telling, uncle or no.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #44
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
History of Speeding

I think some citizens should be forced to use public transportation after a certain number of mishaps.
That's a really good idea.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #45
saden1
MVP

I'm very glad the jackass is dead and that no one else died due to his recklessness. I could have been walking or driving or riding on that road. Good riddance...hope hell is toastier than his car was after the crash. Fck'em!

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote