Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #31
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Clinton Portis Interview-Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Riggins, Larry Brown, Stephen Davis, Ernest Byner, Cliff Battles, all were better backs. Portis only has one Pro Bowl appearance in B & G. At this point Portis would need to basically carry the Skins on his back to a SB win before he's even in the discussion.
I absolutely agree. His yards have been some of the most ineffective in terms of wins that I've seen. Does he ever score? You could say the whole offense doesn't score but Portis is a part of that.

Advertisements
Old 05-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #32
freddyg12
Playmaker

thanks for posting the highlight reel. That run v. philly in 05 was his best td as a skin IMO. Many of his highlight runs are thru gaping holes though.

Although I've been very critical of him, as many of us have, I'm still rooting for him to make a comeback & get the starting job. I don't think he's gonna carry it 20+ even if he wins the job, but I'd still like to see him have great success & end his career here. In the process, he might actually grow up & learn to think first, then speak.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #33
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
How soon we all forget, it was a year ago, before the injury (head) last year, he had pro bowl numbers. It's not like he has missed two or three years in a row and had bad seasons......
Haven't forgotten, but you have to remember that just after those "pro bowl numbers" he was feuding w/Zorn & just starting to make his mouth a bigger part of his game than his legs.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #34
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
can't wait for this
Russellmania09

Wow--just transcribed what is going to be pretty wild comments & accusations by Clinton Portis. I've heard it 10 times, & still blown away.
ugh.. this still hasn't been posted
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #35
14WOODS
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Portis has several things going for him now as a Redskin. We've got a coach who commits to building a real o-line and using a stable of backs. CP's overall workload should go down significantly and he should get better blocking than he's had through most of his tenure w/ the Skins.

If his body is still capable and his head is in the right place I could see him have a big season...maybe 1000 yds, but again on fewer carries.
Portis may get some good numbers, but whenever we need him in a clutch situation he rarely comes through.
14WOODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #36
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14WOODS View Post
Portis may get some good numbers, but whenever we need him in a clutch situation he rarely comes through.
ANd just how many clutch situations has he been in with this franchise? I thought he looked pretty good towards the end of 07 with the last playoff run.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #37
53Fan
Franchise Player

Portis does seem to trip over his own feet or run into the back of his blockers at the goal line. It ain't pretty.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #38
Whiskeybilt
Camp Scrub

I am still a huge Portis fan and really hope he puts all the negative talk from fans behind him. I love how he changed his style to fit whatever the coaches asked him to do, for the team.
Whiskeybilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #39
redskins121684
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Portis does seem to trip over his own feet or run into the back of his blockers at the goal line. It ain't pretty.
I think that comes with the territory when you don't practice with the team at all. There's something to be said for the chemistry improvement we saw when Betts took the field in the Atlanta game last season, if you notice, even with a patchwork line he still seemed to be more patient and confident that the gap would appear, and it often did, even Cartwright was able to show that he had some rapport with the line, it comes down to practice. We always hear about receivers and timing with a QB but the same relationship is necessary between o-lineman and RBs.
redskins121684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #40
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins121684 View Post
I think that comes with the territory when you don't practice with the team at all. There's something to be said for the chemistry improvement we saw when Betts took the field in the Atlanta game last season, if you notice, even with a patchwork line he still seemed to be more patient and confident that the gap would appear, and it often did, even Cartwright was able to show that he had some rapport with the line, it comes down to practice. We always hear about receivers and timing with a QB but the same relationship is necessary between o-lineman and RBs.
I absolutely agree. Practice IS important whether Mr. Portis thinks so or not.