Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A question of style: Evan, Roy or Tim?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #31
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: A question of style: Evan, Roy or Tim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Roy Helu and Evan Royster Rookie Highlights - YouTube

For Hightower Google:
Week 1: Redskins-28 Giants-14 - YouTube
great highlights. Thanks

Watching them it sure seemed like our line was doing a good job of creating lanes at the line of scrimmage, and the runners did a good job of breaking the first guy's tackle.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
TH- better all around RB if healthy... (can block, catch, runs hard, great blocker, great on field leadership.)
Helu- fastest RB of the 3, elusive, can catch, and a playmaker
Royster- Downhill runner, breaks tackles, arguably the most durable of the 3
I agree with this assessment.

I guess I like TH more than most on this board because he is a (almost) complete RB. I say almost because he doesn't provide much punch as a short yardage runner.

Helu has a lot of upside. It's up to him hwo good he wants to become. I'd like to see more long runs from him this season because I think he is capable of breaking some of them.

I'm not the biggest fan of Royster who I think is a plodder. Nevertheless, I must admit that he played much better than I thought he would/could last season. He deserves a lot of credit for that. Hopefully, he'll continue to improve.

I'm excited about Morris. I want to see what he can do for the Skins, particularly in short yardage and on ST.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #33
skinster
Impact Rookie

In Royster's two games he started, he had 245 yds on over 6 yds a carry. I'm not a fan of Helu's style as he seems to get a big run or get shut down, and hightower is coming of an ACL. My vote is Royster.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I will share this little bit about Royster. I grew up in the Northern VA area. Evan Royster was a star RB in the area from Westfield. There was a rumor going around the area that Royster was 'soft' and didn't like contact. I couldn't confirm or dispute that rumor. A few years passed and Royster was in the Rose Bowl, and most caries he got he ran toward the sidelines. Then he had that 'knee injury' in that game. I heard that his knee injury wasn't nothing more than a bruise on his knee. TV said it was an MCL sprain. But then those rumors came up again "Roysters soft" (from the NoVA crowd). Again these are rumors nothing is confirmed, nothing is denied, because theres some decent evidence on him. We drafted him last year and when I talked to my neighbor who works for the skins, I asked him what they thought of Royster. He said something along the lines of "We love him, we just hope he toughens up." Last year when Royster played I saw nothing definitive of him being shy of contact, nor dispute it either. (I did see his eyes get as big as his head when vince wilfork came jumping on him drawing a flag, but then again anyone in the league will be afraid of a 350lb man jumping on them while laying down.)

point is there is a possible question mark about a player on our team that may not like contact which is a huge problem in our league for a player at his position.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #35
30gut
Playmaker

^^What you've said above pretty much constitutes character assassination for a RB
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #36
MTK
\m/

I don't recall seeing anything from him last year indicating he shies away from contact.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #37
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I will share this little bit about Royster. I grew up in the Northern VA area. Evan Royster was a star RB in the area from Westfield. There was a rumor going around the area that Royster was 'soft' and didn't like contact. I couldn't confirm or dispute that rumor. A few years passed and Royster was in the Rose Bowl, and most caries he got he ran toward the sidelines. Then he had that 'knee injury' in that game. I heard that his knee injury wasn't nothing more than a bruise on his knee. TV said it was an MCL sprain. But then those rumors came up again "Roysters soft" (from the NoVA crowd). Again these are rumors nothing is confirmed, nothing is denied, because theres some decent evidence on him. We drafted him last year and when I talked to my neighbor who works for the skins, I asked him what they thought of Royster. He said something along the lines of "We love him, we just hope he toughens up." Last year when Royster played I saw nothing definitive of him being shy of contact, nor dispute it either. (I did see his eyes get as big as his head when vince wilfork came jumping on him drawing a flag, but then again anyone in the league will be afraid of a 350lb man jumping on them while laying down.)

point is there is a possible question mark about a player on our team that may not like contact which is a huge problem in our league for a player at his position.
I suppose there are "soft" RBs in the league, but in this day where teams are mostly unwilling to pay long term for damaged goods, and for RBs in general(except true superstars), I don't know that the extra 1 to 2 yards gained, assuming it's not purposely missing a firstdown, is worth getting lit up by a LB crashing down on you. We as fans love the big hits, but I would rather see a back stay upright and step out then take a hit that is obviously coming.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #38
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I don't recall seeing anything from him last year indicating he shies away from contact.
Yeah nothing jumps out to me either. Lets hope he isn't shy of contact, but if he is, he needs to go. Because like people say that's one of the key characteristics of a RB. Btw, I forgot to mention that the Rose Bowl game that Royster took himself out of was against a highly acclaimed USC Defense with several NFL starters and big hitters (Maualuga, Cushing, Matthews, Taylor Mays, Fili Mola, Everson Griffen).
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #39
30gut
Playmaker

...does anyone smell a lil hateraide?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #40
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I haven't noticed Royster avoid contact, but it's not a worry regardless. Mike wouldn't stand for it, he expects his guys to play physical and obviously the RB has to run hard. Mike has always gotten great production from his runners. And he added another RB in this year's draft...I think we're pretty set at RB (because it's Mike S)
Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #41
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Roy Helu and Evan Royster Rookie Highlights - YouTube

For Hightower Google:
Week 1: Redskins-28 Giants-14 - YouTube
Wow, I don't think i watched royster in the season. His two runs in this video against the eagles are disgusting. I hope he is actually good and it wasn't just because it was a meaningless game against the worst tackling secondary in the league.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #42
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

I am so happy they brought back Timmy .. dude is all heart and will serve a great mentor to Helu/Roy ... it's scary how many smart decisions this football team is making ... having the 3 headed monster of Tim, Roy, and Evan is such a luxury. Not to mention Young at FB. Man I can't wait for season .. and I can't wait until MADDEN comes out
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #43
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I think Helu is the starter this season and breaks 1,000 yards

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #44
30gut
Playmaker

If there was a RB skills list what would the main attributes be?

Size, Speed, Quickness, Toughness, Lateral Agility, Cutback ability, Vision, Catching, Pass Pro, Route Running, Durability, Power(break tackles), Juke (make people miss in space)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #45
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
If there was a RB skills list what would the main attributes be?

Size, Speed, Quickness, Toughness, Lateral Agility, Cutback ability, Vision, Catching, Pass Pro, Route Running, Durability, Power(break tackles), Juke (make people miss in space)
in our scheme i'd have to say vision and cutback ability