Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Raiders)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #31
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Raiders)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Well, the Steelers are in free-fall, and the Bengals got caught in a trap game. Even the lowly, pathetic teams will sneak up and bite some good teams now and then.

I'm just saying that you can't do exactly what SmootSmack says, and fire the coach after one game, or sign him to an extension after one nice win against one of the bottom-dweller teams of the league. Look at the total body of work.
The whole body of work suggests fringe playoff contender who simply lost too many games on the margin in September and October to be around in December.

Advertisements
Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #32
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
I'm so sick of hearing that Moss can't return kicks because he is number 1 receiver. Every punt return we botch or let roll back is killing our drives. I think Moss can handle an extra 4 to 6 plays a game.
Exactly. Deshean Jackson is the #1 WR for Philly and he still returns punts and does it well. I think Devin Thomas is on his way to #1 WR material if he keeps this up. I totally think Moss should be our slot with Marko, Malcolm, and Devin as the other 3 WRs.

If Santana is gonna be on this team next year, he needs to be the slot receiver and punt returner.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #33
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The whole body of work suggests fringe playoff contender who simply lost too many games on the margin in September and October to be around in December.
You believe we are a 'fringe playoff contender' ?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #34
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Moss got completely owned by Asomugha today, as it was obvious he would be. He's a No. 4 WR on this team, once Kelly catches up to where Thomas is mentally.

And at that point, he's just blocking Marko Mitchell.
Agreed. I have lost all confidence in Moss as a #1 receiver. Let him return punts and come in off the bench at wideout.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #35
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
You believe we are a 'fringe playoff contender' ?
Only if looking at the whole body of work. Through seven games, we were pretty bad, but a lot better than it seemed. What we've done since the bye has moved us past, in my opinion, what we accomplished all of last season. To me, this five game stretch we're in was every bit as impressive as last year's five game streak that put us on top of the NFC for most of October and November.

Of course, even if we had three more wins than we currently do, just by virtue of winning more of our close games, that 7-6 record would make us a fringe playoff contender. We'd still be last in our own division. To me, that's in line with how we have played this year.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #36
53Fan
Franchise Player

What did we lose our last 3 games by? A total of 7 points? To the Cowgirls, the Eagles, and the Saints. We're competitive. I think we're closer than people think.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #37
warpaint
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Danny Smith I'm tired of putting ARE on my smack down list seemingly every week. So I'm putting it on the coach now. C'mon Danny, enough is enough. Get ARE off the field for punt returns already.
EXACTLY Its on D.Smith now.

ARE is making me F-ing sick to my stomach.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #38
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Against the 6 patsies we played last year, we were 3-3. Against the 6 patsies we played this year, we remained 3-3. (I counted 09 Carolina and 08 SF as "patsies", if you disagree, then it just goes to 3-2 in five games).

The only difference was that last year in 10 games against quality opponents (6 divisional games, 4 non-divisional games), we went 5-5. This year, in 7 games against quality opponents, we are 1-6. But three of those losses came in the exact same venues against the exact same teams that we beat last year, and we played them about as well as anyone has played them, but with an unfortunate result.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #39
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
What did we lose our last 3 games by? A total of 7 points? To the Cowgirls, the Eagles, and the Saints. We're competitive. I think we're closer than people think.
I agree with you, with GTripp, as well.. We were 6-2 first half of the season last year, but then until other teams figured out Zorn's patterns and such.. Maybe Zorn have good concept of designing plays and things like that but he does not know how to call plays.. Maybe with Sherm's mentoring, I think it would be safe to give playcallings to Kubiek (sp?) or Smith.. Of course, that is only if everything in FO and coaches is intact in off season..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #40
FRPLG
MVP

I agree Moss ought to be our slot and returner. At this point he and ARE are the same type player but Moss is faster and can do some stuff on returns.

My biggest concern right now is Landry. He simply can't cover. At all. He got abused by a marginal QB with marginal WRs. He's a liability on the field. A big time liability. I'd have benched him today after the first half. He was that bad.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #41
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It all just goes to show how difficult these decisions can be. We want Snyder to "Save OUR team" by firing Zorn one week and keeping him the next, cutting Campbell one week, re-signing him the next. Before, during, and after every game most of us have 10 different suggestions for every situation. It's not easy
Nonsense sir. I think consensus has been there quite some time...Snyder can only "save" the team by firing one person, that weird little toady Vinny, and then bringing in a professional football man to decide the other issues you mention.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #42
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I agree Moss ought to be our slot and returner. At this point he and ARE are the same type player but Moss is faster and can do some stuff on returns.

My biggest concern right now is Landry. He simply can't cover. At all. He got abused by a marginal QB with marginal WRs*. He's a liability on the field. A big time liability. I'd have benched him today after the first half. He was that bad.
Actually, a RB and a TE today.

Blache eventually adjusted, about two big plays after any other coordinator in the league would have, but also two big plays before I was expecting him to realize that Landry was in a mismatch. So that's an improvement of 50% by my math.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #43
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Actually, a RB and a TE today.

Blache eventually adjusted, about two big plays after any other coordinator in the league would have, but also two big plays before I was expecting him to realize that Landry was in a mismatch. So that's an improvement of 50% by my math.
True, I should have amended my post to say marginal pass catchers. I continue to wonder why a guy like Rogers gets benched and Landry stays in. Landry is at least as bad at his position as Rogers is. I'd say he is worse. I mean landry gets beat badly. He doesn't get beat stupidly trying to make a big play. He gets beat like a guy of the street would get beat. Over and over.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #44
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
True, I should have amended my post to say marginal pass catchers. I continue to wonder why a guy like Rogers gets benched and Landry stays in. Landry is at least as bad at his position as Rogers is. I'd say he is worse. I mean landry gets beat badly. He doesn't get beat stupidly trying to make a big play. He gets beat like a guy of the street would get beat. Over and over.
Blache decided last year that Rogers wasn't capable of playing corner in his system. Why? Baffles the best of us. We're really not even sure what his system is, frankly. Last year, we were blitz-happy, more than any other team in the league, but we weren't very good at it. This year, we blitz a lot less, and are a little bit better at it than we were last year.

Blache is an odd dude. I would say that his decision making doesn't make me comfortable, but that would be disingenuous. He makes decisions that seem to be more based about making himself comfortable than actually winning the ball game. And as a result, I have no idea whether he's succeeding or failing.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #45
rbanerjee23
The Starter

JC is the man...okay before you crucify me, he is not the man, but he is not half bad

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote