Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Giving Credit Where Credit's Due: Offensive Stats Before and After the Sherm Lewis Hire

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #31
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Giving Credit Where Credit's Due: Offensive Stats Before and After the Sherm Lewis Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
im starting to buy into the idea that it takes the nfl atleast 6 weeks to catch up to a new coach after watching JZ last year, josh mcdaniel this year and sherm to some degree as well.

but like gtripp said, the offense was bound to get better than 13 ppg, even if that paltry offensive output was against the worst defenses in the game and the 17, 17 and 27 scores were against better defenses.

go skins!!
I disagree. Denver is playing better this year mainly because of an improved defense. Plus they got very very lucky in week one w/ that Stockley play and in that game they didn't even move the ball that much.
But it all bols down to the players. All of this playcalling is a little overrated. It's no surprise that the teams with the best skill players/QB play have the best offenses and score the most points......NE, NO, Minn, Philly, SD.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #32
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Giving Credit Where Credit's Due: Offensive Stats Before and After the Sherm Lewis Hire

I knew we had the right guy when we threw that first touchdown pass on Monday Night. My only worry here is that the Redskins finish something like 7-9 and Vinny somehow keeps his job. It's funny though, in the weeks that we were loosing people were talking about how we were going to loose out for the rest of the season. Now we win one game and suddenly we're going to win out.

What people don't realize is that Josh McDaniels has the Zorn curse and thats the main reason we beat the Bronocs. I mean look at the facts:

- Took over for a beloved Super Bowl winning head coach
- Offseason Drama (Cutler saga for them, coaching search and GW fiasco for us).
- Got 6 wins in the first half of the season, using talent mainly acquired by the previous regime.
- Beat Dallas in the first half
- Got exposed by the Steelers on Monday Night Football.

All thats left is for Denver to finish 8-8, effectively leaving them at home for the paloffs.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #33
skinsnut
Playmaker

I personally think that most playcallers would be able to call plays better than Zorn...he never did it before. I do believe the calls are better....quick screen to Devon Thomas due to his inability to separate is showing his growing knowledge of the players. Quick slant to Malcolm Kelly...same deal...good useage of guys that cant separate.
I wouldn't mind a reverse or two too....draws would be in order...but not with Betts or Rock...so good job there not going there...rollouts are solid in order to deal with the line issue....all these things are adjustments to reduce weaknesses in personnel...great sign of understanding the team.

I do think he is using ARE correctly too. The loser in all this is Santana, but I believe he is intentionally using him as a decoy to draw coverage away to open up the run and mid range passing game.

This is all strategic playcalling...it is far more than just calling individual plays on the spot.
I anticipate the rookie WR and our new TE to get more and more involved.
More misdirection is in order....and screens may be needed as well, other than that, we are slowly getting into the right direction.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #34
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
I personally think that most playcallers would be able to call plays better than Zorn...he never did it before. I do believe the calls are better....quick screen to Devon Thomas due to his inability to separate is showing his growing knowledge of the players. Quick slant to Malcolm Kelly...same deal...good useage of guys that cant separate.
I wouldn't mind a reverse or two too....draws would be in order...but not with Betts or Rock...so good job there not going there...rollouts are solid in order to deal with the line issue....all these things are adjustments to reduce weaknesses in personnel...great sign of understanding the team.

I do think he is using ARE correctly too. The loser in all this is Santana, but I believe he is intentionally using him as a decoy to draw coverage away to open up the run and mid range passing game.

This is all strategic playcalling...it is far more than just calling individual plays on the spot.
I anticipate the rookie WR and our new TE to get more and more involved.
More misdirection is in order....and screens may be needed as well, other than that, we are slowly getting into the right direction.
Exactly, playcalling is about making the d react to you. I never gave it much thought, but if the cornerbacks know that DT and MK are just running straight routes, as I imagine they have been, then the playcaller is not helping them gain an advantage. So, if DT takes a couple of those screens for yards, the cornerbacks will have to start playing closer and that allows DT to be able to make a move and get an advantage. I hope it's not all smoke and mirrors but real improvement. I certainly think it is.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #35
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think Lewis has brought better playcalling, which speaks to the overall ineptness of Zorn and how much of a terrible hire this was and this falls on squarely on Snyder's shoulders. Put this on the long list of f-ing thousands of mistakes by Snyder since he has owned this team.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #36
70Chip
Playmaker

He's adapting his play calling to the talent where Zorn was stubbornly trying it the other way round. Jason Campbell is never going to carve up defenses from the pocket. You must run the ball and you must move him around.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #37
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
He's adapting his play calling to the talent where Zorn was stubbornly trying it the other way round. Jason Campbell is never going to carve up defenses from the pocket. You must run the ball and you must move him around.
I agree with this. Sometimes I think when a coach is trying to teach a new system, he's so focused on doing it a certain way, he appears stubborn and forgets to adapt to his players because he's so focused on getting them to adapt to his system...whether they fit or not.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #38
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
That is exactly what I was going to say.
Amazing! You win one game and suddenly credit is due? Come on!
I call BS. Whats next? Handing out trophy's for second place? We are finally approaching the level of play of a professional team. We were at rock bottom. There is only one way to go but up.
I amazed at what a losers attitude we have developed as a team and fan base. You would think we have never won a game or a past super bowl? We win a game or two and we start handing our credit?
It's actually been 3 games.. Before Lewis, 12.4 PPG, after Lewis 20.3 PPG. Nobody is proposing a parade or a monument in his honor but are you one of those fans so jaded or clueless that you cannot recognize obvious progress and improvement?

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #39
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

This may have been covered at some point, but I thought about this yesterday:

Sherman Lewis calls the passing plays, and Sherman Smith calls the running plays. So wouldn't it be pretty easy for someone on the staff of the opposing team to see which Sherman is looking at the play chart and speaking into the headset before each play to determine whether it's a run or a pass?

I mean, it can't be that easy, right?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #40
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
This may have been covered at some point, but I thought about this yesterday:

Sherman Lewis calls the passing plays, and Sherman Smith calls the running plays. So wouldn't it be pretty easy for someone on the staff of the opposing team to see which Sherman is looking at the play chart and speaking into the headset before each play to determine whether it's a run or a pass?

I mean, it can't be that easy, right?
I might be wrong but I think Smith is the only one who gives JC the play.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #41
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I've also noticed that we're having less holding and offsides penalties along the offensive line. I wouldn't attribute that directly to Sherm Lewis, but it is an indication that guys are a little more focused before the snap.

Good play calling and execution breeds focus and confidence.
Well, we had at least 4 or 5 false starts yesterday. In the past three games, we played maybe our worst first half of the year against Atlanta (yes, we had a solid second half), played very well against Denver, and then scored 6 stinking points against Dallas.

Sure, we're racking up more yards and first downs, and that's good, but like some other people mentioned, let's what until we have larger sample size before we deem this a solid hire.

Maybe we're getting more yards, but giving Sherm Lewis praise one day after we managed just two field goals seems a bit silly.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #42
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Going up and down the field between the 20-yard lines without scoring touchdowns gains us nothing. We scored six lousy points and we lost - again. Therefore, as far as contributing to the team winning, our offense sucks as much with the Shermans calling the plays as it did with Zorn calling the plays.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #43
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
It's actually been 3 games.. Before Lewis, 12.4 PPG, after Lewis 20.3 PPG. Nobody is proposing a parade or a monument in his honor but are you one of those fans so jaded or clueless that you cannot recognize obvious progress and improvement?
Final Score: Jaded 7 Clueless 6.
BINGO!
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #44
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Well, we had at least 4 or 5 false starts yesterday. In the past three games, we played maybe our worst first half of the year against Atlanta (yes, we had a solid second half), played very well against Denver, and then scored 6 stinking points against Dallas.

Sure, we're racking up more yards and first downs, and that's good, but like some other people mentioned, let's what until we have larger sample size before we deem this a solid hire.

Maybe we're getting more yards, but giving Sherm Lewis praise one day after we managed just two field goals seems a bit silly.
the voice of reason. how dare you
Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #45
davy
Impact Rookie

Anybody who can't see the huge improvement in playcalling since Lewis took over needs to be watching the games in the company of an adult.