Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What Position Should We Draft in the 2010 First Round
Offensive Lineman 159 75.36%
Running Back 2 0.95%
Quarterback 50 23.70%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #31
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Bill Parcells passed on Matt Ryan, and I would defend that decision. He realized that if he didn't address the O-line in a big way, it didn't matter who his QB would be. Drafting Jake Long was the right move, and the Dolphins will be relevant before we will, because Parcells teams don't get whipped in the trenches the way we do (especially on offense). He went from 1-15 to 11-5 with weak armed Pennington at QB for crying out loud!!!
Parcells has also made it count by establishing the OL as a great unit, and then putting the infrastructure in place to take a rushing game, and turn it into something you have to spend extra hours scheming for.

Ryan also was not necessarily a better prospect than Henne coming out, and would have been a significant risk for the Dolphins. It now looks like Ryan was the better player, like a lot of people thought he was, but I can support Parcells' decision to pass.

Who is the Ryan of this draft though? Unless one player in specific can be identified, you have to pass on QB in the first round.

Advertisements
Old 11-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #32
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Assuming it will be an uncapped year (which may or may not happen at this point), it will be interesting to see what tender if any we offer Rogers, Campbell, and McIntosh. My guess is we try to keep Rocky, probably rather willingly let Campbell go, and tender Rogers in such a way that we basically say he's available but will cost you
Old 11-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #33
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Bill Parcells passed on Matt Ryan, and I would defend that decision. He realized that if he didn't address the O-line in a big way, it didn't matter who his QB would be. Drafting Jake Long was the right move, and the Dolphins will be relevant before we will, because Parcells teams don't get whipped in the trenches the way we do (especially on offense). He went from 1-15 to 11-5 with weak armed Pennington at QB for crying out loud!!!
I personally thought that was the conclusion the common fan was finally going to come to. It seems like some fans still want a QB or RB even though their efforts would be futile with no stand out OL.

I don't know how people can't come to that conclusion. The longer our line is not accounted for with elite young talent, the longer it will be until we have a competitive team.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
For a year? Sure. And then maybe someone like a Blake DeChristopher or Jariel Carimi in 2011...as opposed to say Terrell Pryor
Well, I guess I'm asking, do you think he'd be better or worse than the fighting-through-injuries/limited mobility version of Chris Samuels?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #35
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
I personally thought that was the conclusion the common fan was finally going to come to. It seems like some fans still want a QB or RB even though their efforts would be futile with no stand out OL.

I don't know how people can't come to that conclusion. The longer our line is not accounted for with elite young talent, the longer it will be until we have a competitive team.
Who do you think has the best offensive line in the league?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #36
Larry Michael is Satan
Special Teams

Exclamation Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Jimmy Claussen or Jake Locker. I've been screaming about the O-Line as long as everybody, but we'll absolutely take a QB in the draft, especially if our pick is top 5. Most likely no QB's on our current roster will be here next year. I'd love to trade back and take multiple lineman, also Spikes will be a pro-bowler forever, God, we need like ten first round picks!
Larry Michael is Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #37
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well, I guess I'm asking, do you think he'd be better or worse than the fighting-through-injuries/limited mobility version of Chris Samuels?
I think Samuels should retire, too much of a risk if he continues playing. I mean I know it could be said of just about any player, but he really is one bad hit away from permanent paralysis. Not worth it. I know it can't be easy for him to suddenly call it quits like this, but in the long run it's best for him
Old 11-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #38
rbanerjee23
The Starter

...traded away for more picks, look guys JC isn't great but he isn't the number one problem. Sticking a young, inexperienced college qb behind the shitty OL won't make a lick of difference but will be akin to throwing away millions of dollars, you really want to make the same mistake as the 49ers with Alex Smith or Raiders with Jamarcus Russell?

Trade the pick for some second and third round picks and build some depth on the offensive line. That is the right move.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #39
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Who do you think has the best offensive line in the league?
It's the Jets, I think

If not them, then I think it's either New Orleans, Tennessee, Miami, Baltimore, or Denver.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #40
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I should have started this thread with the caveat "Assume we are not trading our first round pick..."
Old 11-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #41
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
I should have started this thread with the caveat "Assume we are not trading our first round pick..."
You'll learn :tongue
Old 11-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #42
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
whoops, my bad,

if we are not going to trade away the pick, I say we invest it in the best OT on the board, left or right.

ps, don't you guys feel Joe Bugel needs to be fired, I mean I understand we are not giving him grade A talent but Heyer has regressed, Dockery is not nearly as good a band-aid that we though he would be .... all that has to point to the coaching.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #43
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Lost in translation because they have an awful team: The Rams OL might be the most improved unit in the league this year.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #44
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's the Jets, I think

If not them, then I think it's either New Orleans, Tennessee, Miami, Baltimore, or Denver.
Ok, so I think the Jets have four 1st rounders on their starting OL (two drafted by the Jets, two others who had been in the league for a while before joining the Skins...kind of like Levi and Big Mike I suppose)

Saints have mostly 4th and 5th rounders

Titans start two 7th rounders

But anyway, my point (which I'm sure I'd get to eventually) is that a bunch of high draft picks does not make a good offensive line. A top level QB with a bunch of free agent and late round linemen is better than a scrub QB with a bunch of top level linemen. See Matt Ryan

I don't think I, or anyone else calling for a QB in the first round, is saying ignore the line. Just that we can address the line with later picks
Old 11-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #45
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Ok, so I think the Jets have four 1st rounders on their starting OL (two drafted by the Jets, two others who had been in the league for a while before joining the Skins...kind of like Levi and Big Mike I suppose)

Saints have mostly 4th and 5th rounders

Titans start two 7th rounders

But anyway, my point (which I'm sure I'd get to eventually) is that a bunch of high draft picks does not make a good offensive line. A top level QB with a bunch of free agent and late round linemen is better than a scrub QB with a bunch of top level linemen. See Matt Ryan

I don't think I, or anyone else calling for a QB in the first round, is saying ignore the line. Just that we can address the line with later picks
I'd like to take the picks that over the last few drafts that we have spent on LBs(4th,5th, and 6th rounder) and use them on offensive lineman.