College

Parking Lot

Old 06-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #31
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Re: College

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I would not base your decision on that. I made a conscious decision when I was deciding what college to go to not to go to the same school as my friends. College is the time to broaden your horizons, not just academically. Make new friends, meet new people. You don't want to get stuck leaning on your cousins because it's what you know. Expand your world.

Well put SS. That's very good advise quake, time to grow up, see things for yourself. Never pick a school because of friends or family might happen to be there, wrong reasons!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-15-2007, 11:26 PM   #32
FRPLG
MVP

Seriously. I went to school and made all new friends. You have no idea how much fun college can be but if you go somewhere because of friends or family then you risk not stepping out and getting the total experience.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #33
djnemo65
Playmaker

Especially considering that Tenn is the weakest academically of the three. Why not Florida? Comparable price but better reputation. Also, I am a PSU guy and I can assure you you can't go wrong there.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #34
70Chip
Playmaker

Go to Wake.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #35
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I have decided to go to Florida. Mainly because of what Smootsmack said. It is time for me to grow up and meet new people and all that stuff.

But, if LSU sends me a letter I am going there but Florida for now

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #36
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

great, enjoy the sports there
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #37
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Yes. I dug up a 5 year old thread, because I didn't want to create a new one.

Next fall will start my last year of graduate school and right now I'm trying to figure out what classes to take. I'm a human sciences/psychology/counseling major and I've got to take a basic human science course. After registering for another class and working around my work schedule and class schedule, I'm left deciding between statistics (I'm horrible, emphasis on HORRIBLE at math. Took it in undergrad because it was required, got a C and never wanna take it again) and intro economics, something I have no idea about. I'm a little scared because I don't know what economics is going to entail, so someone with some business savvy educate me on how difficult it may be for someone who's never even fathomed the idea of having to take econ... Ever.

Here's the course description:

2012 Fall Main Session
ECON 551/Lecture/01 - Foundations of Economics | Credits 3.00
(First semester/3 credits) Introduction to the basic tools of economic analysis that are employed to examine the environment of a firm at both the microeconomic and macroeconomic levels. The micro portion focuses upon the behavior of consumers and firms in the product and resource markets. The macro portion examines the domestic and international factors that influence the aggregate level of economic activity, and the role of monetary and fiscal policies in promoting full employment, price stability and economic growth. A basic human science course.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #38
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Ahhhhhhhhhh. I was so young.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #39
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post

Next fall will start my last year of graduate school and right now I'm trying to figure out what classes to take. I'm a human sciences/psychology/counseling major and I've got to take a basic human science course. After registering for another class and working around my work schedule and class schedule, I'm left deciding between statistics (I'm horrible, emphasis on HORRIBLE at math. Took it in undergrad because it was required, got a C and never wanna take it again) and intro economics, something I have no idea about. I'm a little scared because I don't know what economics is going to entail, so someone with some business savvy educate me on how difficult it may be for someone who's never even fathomed the idea of having to take econ... Ever.

2012 Fall Main Session
(First semester/3 credits) Introduction to the basic tools of economic analysis that are employed to examine the environment of a firm at both the microeconomic and macroeconomic levels. The micro portion focuses upon the behavior of consumers and firms in the product and resource markets. The macro portion examines the domestic and international factors that influence the aggregate level of economic activity, and the role of monetary and fiscal policies in promoting full employment, price stability and economic growth. A basic human science course.
I would think as a counselor/psych major you'd be far more interested int he econ class. It shouldn't be too terrible but econ is notoriously hated for some reason. Econ has math but it isn't on the level of a stats class. Go econ...you'll learn something more useful probably.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #40
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Ok i have been accepted into 4 schools

Florida
Tennessee
Penn State
wake Forest

but i am waiting for LSU and UNC

what should I do?

should I just go to one of the other schools or should I hold out?

If I had seen this 5 years ago, my reply would have been:

I'd remove Penn State from the list if you're serious about a quality education.

(PA resident)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #41
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

DR -- Go with Economics. Statistics is so open and shut. Right vs wrong answers. Econ will give you a little more flexibility. I've taken both, at a very basic level. Not sure about your school, but mine is pretty conservative. As long as every answer focused on the free market being the best way, it was correct! (not quite that easy, but my basic strategy!)

Both of them will suck a certain amount, but I think econ is the lesser of two evils.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I would not base your decision on that. I made a conscious decision when I was deciding what college to go to not to go to the same school as my friends. College is the time to broaden your horizons, not just academically. Make new friends, meet new people. You don't want to get stuck leaning on your cousins because it's what you know. Expand your world.
I did the samething SS. Academics is only half of the college experience and Im not making a joke there. I ended up chosing Mason over Va Tech just based on the diversity of the student pop.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

2012 Fall Main Session
Normal they make two course on a 101 level of economics; one MICRO one MACRO. So if they are are squeezing both into 3 credits I think this course should be fairly easy to understand and master. Has to be given at a very high level basically a overview.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #44
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

2012 Fall Main Session
Of the two, you'll dig econ more. Only basic math functions will be used in this econ course, it's largely a study of human behavior, but done so graphically and with basic mathematics and logical thought processes. Very useful class in daily life, you'll gain an understanding of the way interest rates work, which can apply to mortgages to investments to loans to whatever.

Statistics is probably the single most useful class in all of undergrad, though. If you can grasp it well, the applications are endless. The most useful for your line of work would be understanding the statistical range within which the human mind would react to counseling or medical treatment for psychiatric conditions. ie with 95% confidence you could expect x kind of behavior.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #45
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

What Schneed said