Let's Talk Levi Jones and Offensive Line

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #31
12thMan
MVP

Re: Let's Talk Levi Jones and Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
He hasn't yet. But it is Mike Sellers's fault so it's all good.
Good one. LOL
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #32
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
He hasn't yet. But it is Mike Sellers's fault so it's all good.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #33
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

We still need O-line men. I'm not sold on Levi Jones yet. Let me see how the rest of the season pans out. I still think we need to draft the best OT available in the draft. I could care less who the QB is. We could do a lot worse than what we have now. The line has to be addressed with the next draft, and not with BS picks in the fourth and fifth.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #34
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
We still need O-line men. I'm not sold on Levi Jones yet. Let me see how the rest of the season pans out. I still think we need to draft the best OT available in the draft. I could care less who the QB is. We could do a lot worse than what we have now. The line has to be addressed with the next draft, and not with BS picks in the fourth and fifth.

Well said Trample - with 6 offensive linemen graded out as first round material the Skins would be foolish not to take the best one available whereever they pick. And after that they should use their 2nd round pick on either a guard or another tackle. To me Heyer is really a backup at best and not the long term solution at RT, and only Dockery is a long term keeper.

Yes the team has many holes to fill but even with some draft picks never pan out and we have neglected the offensive line for so long that we need to take 2 swings with the 1st and 2nd round pick on offensive lineman, which will increase our chances of at least one of the draft picks panning out (this of course with a new GM in place) and help rebuild the Hogs. Once we get a new dominant offensive line it makes it so much easier to win.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #35
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Man what one game does around here. Jones played a nice game. I was actually surprised. Rinehart looked really good in the run game. But it's one game. Let's see how the line holds up this week against a much bigger & physical front 7. I can already tell you that Jay Ratliff is going to abuse Raymer.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #36
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Man what one game does around here. Jones played a nice game. I was actually surprised. Rinehart looked really good in the run game. But it's one game. Let's see how the line holds up this week against a much bigger & physical front 7. I can already tell you that Jay Ratliff is going to abuse Raymer.
LOL...you mean Rabach. Same guy basically.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #37
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
Well said Trample - with 6 offensive linemen graded out as first round material the Skins would be foolish not to take the best one available whereever they pick. And after that they should use their 2nd round pick on either a guard or another tackle. To me Heyer is really a backup at best and not the long term solution at RT, and only Dockery is a long term keeper.

Yes the team has many holes to fill but even with some draft picks never pan out and we have neglected the offensive line for so long that we need to take 2 swings with the 1st and 2nd round pick on offensive lineman, which will increase our chances of at least one of the draft picks panning out (this of course with a new GM in place) and help rebuild the Hogs. Once we get a new dominant offensive line it makes it so much easier to win.
I think the Redskins need to adopt the modern NFL offensive line approach, and get away from the old one (aka, plug in any ole guy).
Old 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #38
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

I cant say that i would like to see us use our first 2 picks on a OL but we definately need one in the 1st. In the 2nd round we can get a wr -since ours suck according to what i have heard on here- and maybe a C/G in the 4th. I believe we will try to get a RB in FA and maybe a QB also if JC isnt retained. I really dont feel any of the QB's in this draft are worth our 1st in our current situation. But then again if the FO likes Levi then that would give them an excuse to go after the "sexy" pick and get a QB.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #39
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post

I agree with you and Trample. In fact, I'm in favor of trading a skill player or two to get established linemen or more draft picks which can be spent on the OL.

In twelve months I'd much rather be complaining about talent at QB, WR, etc., than to still be complaining about how we haven't fixed the OL.
We won more with Vinny
Old 11-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #40
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUCHANON101 View Post
I cant say that i would like to see us use our first 2 picks on a OL but we definately need one in the 1st. In the 2nd round we can get a wr -since ours suck according to what i have heard on here- and maybe a C/G in the 4th. I believe we will try to get a RB in FA and maybe a QB also if JC isnt retained. I really dont feel any of the QB's in this draft are worth our 1st in our current situation. But then again if the FO likes Levi then that would give them an excuse to go after the "sexy" pick and get a QB.
If I'm the Skins I definitely don't take a QB in the first round. That strategy just doesn't make sense given the choices on the table. Even if you dump Campbell, you're essentially rebuilding in a major way with a rookie QB on this team. If they do decide to get rid of Campbell, I would think at a minimum, you bring in a second or third year vet if not a seasoned QB who can take over. We're bad, but we're not Detroit Lions or Cleveland Browns bad. We actually have a very good future, I think, with some good pieces on both sides of the ball.

We have to go offensive line in the first round. Whether Jones pans out or not, we have to draft with an eye towards the future. Other than Levi Jones, Chad Rinehart is auditioning for the rest of the season. He either cuts it as a starter now or we draft to replace him.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #41
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
If I'm the Skins I definitely don't take a QB in the first round. That strategy just doesn't make sense given the choices on the table. Even if you dump Campbell, you're essentially rebuilding in a major way with a rookie QB on this team. If they do decide to get rid of Campbell, I would think at a minimum, you bring in a second or third year vet if not a seasoned QB who can take over. We're bad, but we're not Detroit Lions or Cleveland Browns bad. We actually have a very good future, I think, with some good pieces on both sides of the ball.

We have to go offensive line in the first round. Whether Jones pans out or not, we have to draft with an eye towards the future. Other than Levi Jones, Chad Rinehart is auditioning for the rest of the season. He either cuts it as a starter now or we draft to replace him.
That makes the most sense. Whether we'll have a football GM to see it is another matter. If it's Vinny, well we've all seen that story played out time and time again.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #42
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
That makes the most sense. Whether we'll have a football GM to see it is another matter. If it's Vinny, well we've all seen that story played out time and time again.
I think Vinny is done here. And I gotta tell you, I think we've seen the last of Santana Moss as a Redskin following this season.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #43
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I think Vinny is done here. And I gotta tell you, I think we've seen the last of Santana Moss as a Redskin following this season.
I hope that you are right. Maybe we can get a little something for Santana and parlay that into an offensive lineman.
We won more with Vinny
Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #44
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I hope that you are right. Maybe we can get a little something for Santana and parlay that into an offensive lineman.

Lotus - that got my thinking to the good old days with your trade thought - when we traded Jay Scharder for Jim Lachey - that was simply one of the best trades that the Redskins have ever made and when it happened Al Davis should have fired his GM (can't remember if he had a GM at the time or if Al was calling the shots at that time). You don't trade an all pro left tackle that is in his prime for an moderate qb. That trade was an important reason we won the super bowl as Lachey was awesome for us. I could never see Vinny pulling that type of trade off.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #45
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Not only did we get Lachey (who played I think just one game for the Raiders) we also got a couple of mid-round draft picks.

But Schroeder was just the kind of QB Davis likes, killer arm with a lousy attitude. Nothing's changed now with Russell leading the Raiders.