Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The runners thread

Parking Lot

Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #31
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Re: The runners thread

A good tip for running in the heat is: Water the day before. The day of you should have some sort of electrolyte like Gatorade, Nuun, etc.

Advertisements
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #32
MTK
\m/

Good advice. I made a mistake by not downing some water an hour before I went out.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #33
firstdown
Living Legend

A good idea about running in the heat is to say "F that" and go to the pool.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #34
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I did 2 miles tonight in the heat and I was seriously hurtin' half way through. Think I need to start bringing along some water too when it's hot like this. Didn't help that I chose to take a path with no shade when I could have taken another route that had a lot less direct sun.
Gab dabit boy. I done use to run 2 miles a day around an open field with no shade in SOUTHEAST GORGIAH! Oh and I done had two broken legs, a saparated shoulder and a herniated disc when I did it toh.

Okay so maybe there was one leg with a little shade during certain parts of the day but damnit it gets hot down here sometimes. Of course it's a luxury considering how little winter and fall you have to deal with. Anyways I'll save that for the weather thread.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #35
over the mountain
Playmaker

In LA there is an "LA Fitness" where, I kid you not, there is an escalator to take you up the one flight of stairs to the gym.

My lady used to do marathons with the PF Changs team, travel around the country, etc.
Last year she said she wanted to get back into running and prep for a mini-marathon a few months down the road. So we go to this expensive ass sports store in harbor east and buy her a nice pair of running shoes for a lil over a 100 bucks. We get home, she puts them on and does a test run around the block. Comes back, says they feel great . . the bitch hasnt worn those shoes since then.

Also, in my neighbirhood, I swear the more adverse the weather the more runners feel the need to go out and prove how die hard they are. Its snowing and icy and you want to run in shorts, a tee shirt and a head scarf? Im impressed. Impressed by your stupidity to keep it real.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #36
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Gab dabit boy. I done use to run 2 miles a day around an open field with no shade in SOUTHEAST GORGIAH! Oh and I done had two broken legs, a saparated shoulder and a herniated disc when I did it toh.
Legs? You had legs to run on? In my day we couldnt afford legs, we just had really long pointy hips we had to wobble 25 miles to school on in 23 feet of snow.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #37
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
In LA there is an "LA Fitness" where, I kid you not, there is an escalator to take you up the one flight of stairs to the gym.

My lady used to do marathons with the PF Changs team, travel around the country, etc.
Last year she said she wanted to get back into running and prep for a mini-marathon a few months down the road. So we go to this expensive ass sports store in harbor east and buy her a nice pair of running shoes for a lil over a 100 bucks. We get home, she puts them on and does a test run around the block. Comes back, says they feel great . . the bitch hasnt worn those shoes since then.

Also, in my neighbirhood, I swear the more adverse the weather the more runners feel the need to go out and prove how die hard they are. Its snowing and icy and you want to run in shorts, a tee shirt and a head scarf? Im impressed. Impressed by your stupidity to keep it real.
I see that all the time on really hot days. Last week when it was 100 something some lady collapsed by my house, she called 911 on her own but I went out to help her. When the paramedics got there they were genuinely upset with her for being so stupid.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #38
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post

The local one here in central PA has an escalator.

Planet Fitness is the biggest joke of a "gym" though. Dumbbells only go to about 75 pounds, no real weights. If you grunt while lifting an alarm goes off and they kick you out. THEN, they have PIZZA NIGHT for the fat ladies. They charge $10.00 a month because they know the far majority of their customers will sign up, never go and cancel in a few months. They survive on a big number of inactive members paying a few bucks instead of charging more for dedicated lifters.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
mlmdub130
Playmaker

i ran a mile yesterday, pretty much out of boredom and curiosity, it was hot as f-ing balls and a 1/4 mile into it i regreted it, halfway through it i lost some of the powerade i chugged before i ran. ended up finishing it in 7:38 which i was happy about, my shins and calfs are killing me today though. i'm going to try and start running twice a week again, nothing crazy maybe 2 or 3 miles. i've always had good endurance from playing soccer and other sports my whole youth, when i was in my prime i ran 2 miles in 10:12 during basic training.

and when i run i prefer to be on a wooded path in a park somewhere, i have to find a good one here at my new place. i really hate running on sidewalks and streets in neighbor hoods, almost as much as i hate running in circles on a track.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #40
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
The local one here in central PA has an escalator.

Planet Fitness is the biggest joke of a "gym" though. Dumbbells only go to about 75 pounds, no real weights. If you grunt while lifting an alarm goes off and they kick you out. THEN, they have PIZZA NIGHT for the fat ladies. They charge $10.00 a month because they know the far majority of their customers will sign up, never go and cancel in a few months. They survive on a big number of inactive members paying a few bucks instead of charging more for dedicated lifters.
I go there love the place. They turned off the grunt alarm at mine it is there but I have never heard it and I have dropped crap by it all the time. I am not a serious body builder so the weights they have work perfect for me. They have Smith machines with plenty of 45lb plates. Plenty of lifting dudes there many came over from Golds that I recognize.

Usually always slow, big amount of cardio, every weight machine you can think of, smith machines, dumbbells, etc...Only $10 a month and very very clean. If you are a self starter don't want or need classes and are not a major body builder it is a good gym. The pizza night is the first Monday of the month, kind of a celebration I guess, hard to beleive if you eat healthy all month and had pizza that one night you would get fat. They also say take a tootsie roll on your way out you deserve it you worked out today. Again no one is getting fat off that tootsie roll, they are just preaching moderation and a reward for a job well done.

Also I say thank you to the inactive members they keep my fees down and are not in my way. that is a win in my book. Plus you can get a damn good burn with just 75lb and below dumbbells.

I say in all the gyms I have belonged too it ranks second only too the Merrifield, VA Golds Gym and you have to take the stairs to get to that one.

Oh and the best part from the sound of it Buster will never be a member! He is at the big tough guy gym training for seal team 6. Win-win! =)
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #41
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Tootsie Rolls too? Ha...
Old 06-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #42
over the mountain
Playmaker

YouTube - ‪Poop Runner - Guy shits himself but ignores it! Warning!‬‏

YouTube - ‪BOSTON MARATON, 2011 SHART‬‏

Last edited by over the mountain; 06-10-2011 at 01:43 PM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #43
MTK
\m/

Nothing wrong with a casual style of gym like Planet Fitness. A lot of other places are intimidating and more expensive. If I had one nearby I'd probably join just to go use the machines once in a while.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #44
MTK
\m/

Ran in my first 5k this weekend, finished in 31:48. Not bad for my first go I thought. I was hoping to finish in the 33-34 minute range so I easily beat my goal.

Where's my 3.1 sticker!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #45
GMScud
Swearinger

I've got the Bethesda Turkey Chase 10K on Thanksgiving morning. Pretty stoked. The wife and I are doing it together. She ran the Marine Corps 10K last Sunday and finished with a time of 55:08 which was in the 90th percentile for her age group (25-29). She's gonna be tough to beat!

I went to Sports Authority today to get some cold weather running gear. Love me some UnderArmour. Man I could break the bank in that store.