Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

As the new GM would you go after Ronnie Brown?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #31
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: As the new GM would you go after Ronnie Brown?

We don't need to use a high draft pick on an RB. There are plenty of good ones out there that always go unsigned. Sadly, in the NFL, good runningbacks are a dime a dozen.

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #32
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

I was just thinking...

For years, we've all been saying "Invest in the draft, stop trading our draft pics, we need to build our team from the ground up" etc. etc.

What if right now is the worst time to be investing in the draft. With an uncapped year potentially approaching. How valuable will the draft be to a team that has potentially unlimited resources?

I'm curious to the implications, even with the new FA rules, that this might have on the value of the draft itself. Anyone have any insight into this.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #33
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

2010: An uncapped year odyssey

grabbed this off a thread Schneed had started a little while back.

and quoting Schneed as well.

Quote:
"The same forces working to keep Campbell and Rogers with the team will be at play all throughout the league, restricting the mobility of 4th and 5th year players whose contracts are due to expire. In an uncapped year, we should expect free agency to be thin. So while Dan Snyder would have his checkbook ready and willing to instantly improve the roster, he probably won't find many players worthy of a big payday. In an uncapped world, the draft takes on even greater importance."
So... under my understanding. Free agency will not be very valuable at first, but over time as more and more contracts expire, players will be able to test the market? This shits kinda confusing. Anyone want to take a shot at clarifying this for me?

edit:

found this Chris Samuels thread. Good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B
If there is no cap than as many have said the rules get changed a little - here is the big rule change:

Rules for an uncapped year — including a requirement that players need six seasons rather than four to become unrestricted free agents — would take effect in March, a year before the CBA expires. Teams also wouldn't have to spend to the salary minimum or fund player benefits.

So in effect many of the free agents will have 2 more years of mileage on them making them even more risky - remember the average lifespan of an NFL player is between 3-4 years - so if you are now signing up a bunch of players with 6 years experience you are pushing the envelope.

In my opinion is we go uncapped it would be even more reason that you go to building your team via the draft and the Skins need to get the best GM and front office money can buy. Simply thinking the free agency route will be the easy way to go will become even more of a outdated and incorrect model for building a consistent winner.

Last edited by RobH4413; 11-19-2009 at 04:57 PM.
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #34
celts32
Playmaker

No...RB is one of the easiest positions to fill with a draft pick. They need young players not more older guys with injury history. Brown is not that old but he has had injury problems.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #35
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
2010: An uncapped year odyssey

grabbed this off a thread Schneed had started a little while back.

and quoting Schneed as well.

So... under my understanding. Free agency will not be very valuable at first, but over time as more and more contracts expire, players will be able to test the market? This shits kinda confusing. Anyone want to take a shot at clarifying this for me?

edit:

found this Chris Samuels thread. Good info.
The uncapped year might not have many big names out there, but I would guess there will be a no. of starter quality vets that want to get paid & get playing time. It might allow the danny to invest in some affordable quality vets the way the pats do, and the way denver did this year. He would be able to pay those guys more & bring them in.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #36
schndr_tdd
Special Teams

Id go after Fred Jackson from buffalo ans draft a running back like Noel Devine<he might be had in early second round.
schndr_tdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #37
celts32
Playmaker

I like the way the Colts handle the RB position. They draft them and use them up in their prime while they are young and cheap and then they let them walk when they want that big second contract that will take them past 30. They let Edge & Rhodes walk in free agency and they will do the same with Addai in a couple years. RB's are a bad investment...they are at their best when they are young and hungry. Spend your big money on QB's and lineman.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #38
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Yes, I can't remember any RB who was as good after being traded (Portis included). Usually the reason the RB is good is 75% the offensive line (unless your name is Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders who don't need one)..

We all know this. Everyone knows this. If we want a running game, let's get serious. Draft a BIG OT and offensive line. I'm tired of seeing people break through to stop our RB in the backfield, and see Portis trying to run through a wall of people. We can draft a RB later on once we've addressed the need.

Timmy Smith had an record-breaking Super Bowl for us. People outside of Redskin Nation probably have never heard of him - because it was our O-line & run-blocking schemes that gave him those yards.. (Go Gibbs!)
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #39
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
No. The days of RBs being important enough to commit major resources to are over. He's oldish, been injured and plays the easiest plug and play position in football. Plus his "amazingness" could be attributed to the gimmick offense they run.
Excellent point, but let's hope Lil' Danny and Vinny agree -- those two bozos are about five years behind the times as it is.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #40
Carnage
Special Teams

I agree that Brown has had too many injuries. Check out ATL's Jerrious Norwood. He is an explosive player that has been bulking up. Could be the next Turner like guy. They should try hard to keep him, but if he hits the market he could be an asset for years.
Also, with regards to quality free agents, LT Marcus McNeil, G Chris Snee, Sean Merrimon, and Julius Peppers are all hitting the market next year. It would not surprise me if the Danny gives several FAs front loaded contracts during an uncapped season.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #41
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
I agree that Brown has had too many injuries. Check out ATL's Jerrious Norwood. He is an explosive player that has been bulking up. Could be the next Turner like guy. They should try hard to keep him, but if he hits the market he could be an asset for years.
Also, with regards to quality free agents, LT Marcus McNeil, G Chris Snee, Sean Merrimon, and Julius Peppers are all hitting the market next year. It would not surprise me if the Danny gives several FAs front loaded contracts during an uncapped season.
Is Norwood back active yet?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #42
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
As long as Coughlin is coach of the Giants Snee will be there, he is his son-in-law.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #43
NM Redskin
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
nice

so far this year the teams leading the league in rushing all have losing records

1 jets
2 titans
3 panthers
4 dolphins

19 redskins

it's become a passing league and while you need a decent running back you don't need the best to win

if betts performs this way through the rest of the season i wouldn't mind giving him a shot with cp as a back up next year
That a good point, but you HAVE to be able to run in the playoffs, when the talent level get closer.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #44
Finslady
Camp Scrub

As most of you said, Washington should not go after Ronnie Brown. He turns 28 in Dec and has had 2 major injuries. Also, running back should not be a team priority. But you guys know all of this. Miami retained 1 starter on O line from their 1-15 season. I think it's safe to say they fixed that. It's always been my opinion that O line is where it all begins.
Hmmm. Ok I know I had a point here... Oh yeah. I think Washington has to go into rebuilding mode. Tweeking here and there has not worked and I just don't think that's the answer. Many people hear the word rebuilding and go into panic mode. It doesn't mean fire the entire team (although coaching and management are... ). Retaining core players is important. London Fletcher is the example I'll use here because he's a veteran presence and a leader. The fact is, the team needs youth and youth doesn't come in and bring it all together in 1 year. I think Washington is past the point of a 1 year turnaround. A rebuild usually takes 3 years to be complete. Yeah. Ok. Just got bad news and I'm babbling. Sorry, I usually put my thoughts together better than this.
Before I go, I'd just like to say something about a comment about Miami having a "gimmick" offense. That gimmick is currently 5th in the league in scoring. Below them are Indy, NE, Minn, and NO. Pretty damn good for a gimmick IMO. The problem with Miami is on defense. They are 28th. This gets you a .500 record and an average team.
I have to go. Good luck Skins fans.
Keep The Faith.