Commanders Post at The Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Commanders Post at The Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Locker Room Main Forum Commanders Football & NFL discussion

Are the redskins gearing up for 5 WR sets?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #31
wilsowilso

Re: Are the redskins gearing up for 5 WR sets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
If you have five guys in the pass pattern , you cannot pick up the blitz , your qb gets beaten to death . You also lose time of pos. , tire your defence . JC has only 10 starts , he would get killed if we went to the spread ,,, anyone remember Detroit and Atlanta playing us in the 91 playoffs ? As great as W. Moon / J. Kelly were , they always struggled to score pts and sustain drives against the better defences . I know pts can be scored with the spread offence , but I boubt Moss / R El would hold up to the hits that they would take game after game .
Hey I wasn't advocating using a 5 wr set I merely asked the question why are we so enamored with Max protection. A 4 wr set would be more realistic and I would really just like to see more three wr sets even. Our passing game has not been attacking the middle of the field. Cooley has 5 catches. There is something wrong with that. We don't have a consitent over the middle wideout. The smaller receivers need to be protected and they can't go over the middle all day, but we really need somebody who can. Caldwell and or McCardell will hopefully perform that job although Caldwell is soft, but if one of these guys can open the middle some more from a three or even four wideout set that would be really good for us.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #32
Darrell_Green_28
The Starter

Maybe we can sign another former Redskins receiver

Niners waive WR Taylor Jacobs, re-sign Bryan Gilmore - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
Darrell_Green_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #33
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

JG loves the max protect, no doubt. And there's something to be said for it, after watching the gints DESTROY the iggles pass protection. And just cast your memory back to the bad ole days of the ole ball coach and his attempts (successful, it seems) to crush the life out of one PATRICK RAMSEY. (All right! A Ramsey thread!) I'm all for expanding the variation of our passing game--we need it!--but there are risks involved.

I heard that Taylor Jacobs got hurt just because that post appeared. He's kinda fragile, you know.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #34
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

This guy B-Loyd is starting to piss me off with his lack of production on the field. Hey dude, have some freaking pride in yourself, and catch some passes for your team! Man-up, and help your team win!
4mrusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #35
Cowell
Impact Rookie

I guess you haven't been here in the last couple months 4mr, we have all decided that Brandon Lloyd is worthless and should be playing in Canada.
Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #36
Sean Taylor
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbecker999 View Post
The spread offense really works well with New England.
It would be nice to see our offense move that way.
That's never going to happen.
Sean Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #37
JGisLordOfTheRings
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowell View Post
I guess you haven't been here in the last couple months 4mr, we have all decided that Brandon Lloyd is worthless and should be playing in Canada.
Thats been decided, but it will never happen.....
Old 10-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #38
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
JG loves the max protect, no doubt. And there's something to be said for it, after watching the gints DESTROY the iggles pass protection. And just cast your memory back to the bad ole days of the ole ball coach and his attempts (successful, it seems) to crush the life out of one PATRICK RAMSEY. (All right! A Ramsey thread!) I'm all for expanding the variation of our passing game--we need it!--but there are risks involved.

I heard that Taylor Jacobs got hurt just because that post appeared. He's kinda fragile, you know.
Teams that run 4 and 5 receiver sets can make it work if the QB gets rid of the ball quickly. That often means 3 step drops with a quick decision to let it fly. Not sure whether Campbell is far enough along in his development to be put in that situation. Short, quick passes haven't exactly been his strength so far.

As for Jacobs, let me remind everyone that Osi Umenyiora was available in the 2nd round of the 2003 draft when the OBC just had to have his Gator boy. Aside from Darrell Jackson, can anyone name a WR or QB of note that Spurrier developed? (And don't say Reche Caldwell).
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #39
budw38
Playmaker

Wink Re: Are the redskins gearing up for 5 WR sets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Hey I wasn't advocating using a 5 wr set I merely asked the question why are we so enamored with Max protection. A 4 wr set would be more realistic and I would really just like to see more three wr sets even. Our passing game has not been attacking the middle of the field. Cooley has 5 catches. There is something wrong with that. We don't have a consitent over the middle wideout. The smaller receivers need to be protected and they can't go over the middle all day, but we really need somebody who can. Caldwell and or McCardell will hopefully perform that job although Caldwell is soft, but if one of these guys can open the middle some more from a three or even four wideout set that would be really good for us.
I also like the 3 wr sets . I know some teams get production with 4 wr's , I guess I have seen too many Qb's get hit too often in those offences . Thats just me , I just hope we get some TD's in early and often , with whatever works .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #40
Cowell
Impact Rookie

Exactly, whatever gets us into the endzone is fine with me... which means something needs to get changed.
Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #41
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Let's see...

Moss, Randel El, Thrash, McCardell, Lloyd...

I'm only counting 4 receivers there, how are you figuring we can have a 5-WR set?

Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #42
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Buster - you're forgetting Reche Caldwell. That would be the 5th, and will likely see the field this weekend if Moss can't go.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #43
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR
Impact Rookie

why go to 5 wides are you trying to get JC killed. We barely have two legit WR. LLoyd a bust since day one. KM is probably the 3 best wr and he about 80 yrs old. Caldwell avg at best, thrash is also avg. We have to get Cooley more involved.
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #44
Rajmahal33
Special Teams

The only reason multiple WR sets work for other teams in the passing game is b/c QB's like Brady, Payton, Palmer, and McNabb (in his prime) were so good that if u single covered those WR's they would be easy pickings for them. Due to that respect you would have 4 and maybe even 3 linemen rushing at times and use the extra men to defend. But, JC is clearly not that established and doesnt strike fear in opposing defensive coordinators. They would just blitz us and he wouldn't get rid of the ball in time. The only reason to implement 4/5 WR's sets is if u want to take men out of the box so that u could give Portis some room to run and avoid opponents putting 8 in the box. From that standpoint it might actually be a good idea.

I would like to see the skins use 3 WR sets and open up the passing game. Throw on 1st and 2nd and then mix in the run when we get into a passing rhythm so that Portis could have those longer runs that he is great at busting open.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #45
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR
Impact Rookie

if we go to 3 wr that way to crazy for Gibbs now. He cant max protect. Heaven forbid we stay in 3 wides and challenge the dfense the whole game.
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote