Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let It Snow

Parking Lot

Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #31
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Let It Snow

Southern Montgomery County was so unprepared for the snow today. They were only calling for around an inch, and they didn't have salt trucks or plows out until like lunch time. I went into work around 11 this morning, and the roads were really bad. They were still bad when I came home around 7.

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #32
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Southern Montgomery County was so unprepared for the snow today. They were only calling for around an inch, and they didn't have salt trucks or plows out until like lunch time. I went into work around 11 this morning, and the roads were really bad. They were still bad when I came home around 7.
DC wasn't any better. I live off a main road and even the main road was horrible. They did a terrible job of plowing and basically there was just a sand/salt/snow mush mix on the road.

DC DoT gets a D grade on their preparedness this storm. But then again, I don't think any meteorologist predicted this much snow for the Metro area.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #33
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
DC wasn't any better. I live off a main road and even the main road was horrible. They did a terrible job of plowing and basically there was just a sand/salt/snow mush mix on the road.

DC DoT gets a D grade on their preparedness this storm. But then again, I don't think any meteorologist predicted this much snow for the Metro area.
Rave earlier in this thread you where ticked that DC was only getting 2" and now your ticked that the roads are a mess. Maybe they can have them cleaned off in time so you can get to school.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #34
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Rave earlier in this thread you where ticked that DC was only getting 2" and now your ticked that the roads are a mess. Maybe they can have them cleaned off in time so you can get to school.
We got way more than 2, it was like 7 inches. And we probably will have school unless Frederick got more. And I was pissy cause I had to go driving in it yesterday. My plan was to sit at home, snow and get out of school. But family effectively ruined that.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #35
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Just got in from sledding with the kids. Tried out a new hill - had to pack up the car and drive a mile down the road. Well worth it. Good times.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #36
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

we got significant accumulation here

6+ inches it seems

too many drifts to be certain
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #37
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
females
Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #38
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Just got in from sledding with the kids. Tried out a new hill - had to pack up the car and drive a mile down the road. Well worth it. Good times.
nice man

when I lived in manassas I'd pick up my cousin and we'd hop on 3000/pw parkway off of 28 and shortly thereafter you'd hit a huge double hill on the side of the road, man-made, I guess for draining so that it didn't hit the road.. go down one hill, flattens out shortly, 2nd hill.. we built some mean ramps.. one kid got seriously 15 feet up off of it riding a tube a handful of years back
Old 01-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #39
firstdown
Living Legend

We have like a 14' hill in our back yard which was perfect for my 3 yr old. I went to my office to clean off the side walks and on the way home a bunch of people where sleding down the hills off the overpass which is a pretty big hill. Va Beach has a hugh hill in a park and that dumb ass city will not let people sled down the hill and has people guarding it.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #40
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
We have like a 14' hill in our back yard which was perfect for my 3 yr old. I went to my office to clean off the side walks and on the way home a bunch of people where sleding down the hills off the overpass which is a pretty big hill. Va Beach has a hugh hill in a park and that dumb ass city will not let people sled down the hill and has people guarding it.
previous lawsuits maybe?

we used to hit up public golf courses too
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #41
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

we got 7 inches in Winchester, VA...which is 5 miles down the road here....wife and i had a great weekend...we took the 4 wheelers out, did donuts at walmart with my ranger, and drove around on back roads...it was fun
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #42
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I don't think it was plows being unprepared, I think it's the local areas have already used their snow removal budget. They don't have the cash to pay for much clean up.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #43
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I don't think it was plows being unprepared, I think it's the local areas have already used their snow removal budget. They don't have the cash to pay for much clean up.
More or less. They were hoping for what was originally forecast, and left themselves unprepared when the storm shifted North. I think we got somewhere in the 4-6 inch range, and since it was powder, it took no time to get it cleared. Our neighborhood and secondary road was cleared before the State/County could get the main roads cleared.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #44
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
we got 7 inches in Winchester, VA...which is 5 miles down the road here....wife and i had a great weekend...we took the 4 wheelers out, did donuts at walmart with my ranger, and drove around on back roads...it was fun
Now thats how you have fun in the snow. I had an old ford explorer that I sold for a whopping $400 and was telling my wife I wish I still had the truck because if I wrecked it who cares.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #45
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Yeah my ranger does great. It has the BFG All Terrain KO Tires, and with a little weight in the bed, its like a tank. We were driving around in the blizzard of 09 with it. We had 22 inches, and i had to use the 4X4 low, but it ran just fine.

I have a Honda Foreman 300 4X4 and the wife rides a 250 Honda Recon. Both of them get around just fine...they pull sleds great too.

Our next snow here is supposed to be on Friday through Saturday...talk already of it being maybe as much as the Blizzard of 09, its a huge storm system, plus we have the arctic temperatures...