Time to take the next Step: Skins vs kitty cats Pre-game thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 AM   #31
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Time to take the next Step: Skins vs kitty cats Pre-game thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
A good team? Already? Damn, that was fast. I was just expecting them to be better than the last 2 years while showing signs that McCloughan has them trending in the right direction. I'll still settle for that right now and will postpone expectations of blowing out good Defenses for at least a few years.

Because isn't that what the good teams do? The Pats hang 50 on everyone, right? Just like the Bengals, Packers, Panthers, Cardinals, etc.

Or maybe the good teams, like the Skins aspire to be one day, win ugly 10-6 games sometimes and don't ALWAYS put up huge Offensive stats, especially when they run into good Defenses.

If the Skins win 6-7 games this year, they've exceeded most people's expectations and optimism will be high going into next season.
Maybe you ought to get your eyes checked, or go practice some reading comprehension.

I'm pretty sure I never said that "good" teams hang 50 on everyone, let alone that I expected the Skins to do that consistently or put up huge offensive stats against good defenses. I simply said they took care of business against a historically bad defense, that the biggest story was holding that offense to 14 points, and "good" teams win the games they are supposed to. Whether that is 47-14 or 10-6...doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, I never actually said the Skins are a "good" team (although I do believe they are "good").

I do agree that if they win 6-7 games this year that they will have exceeded most people's expectations...and I do expect them to exceed most people's expectations.

For the record, my optimism is high, although I am also still skeptical.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #32
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
It's been proven, no ints and we don't lose, if kirk can play solid and have no TOS we have a chance. They don't really have a scary offense besides cam newton, their wrs don't alarm me at all.
I agree. Kirk (w/help of solid playcalling from Jay) can play solid and not turn the ball over we have a chance.

Hand in hand with the Kirk is running the ball well and as someone else mentioned that means getting to the second level and not letting Luke run around free. Which is gonna take a very tight gameplan from the staff because mono-e-mone their DL is better on the interior then our OL.

I disagree about their offense, its plenty good. 3rd in PPG, 4th in rushing based on raw counting stats on Football Outsiders thier 10th overall, 3rd in rushing and 14th with Olsen and just a bunch of guys at WRs. Cam is alot like Rothlisbeger in the sense that even when you get pressure on Cam it doesn't turn into a sack as often as with other QBs because he's not going down easy. Their offense is kinda the anti-'passing league', so its not a high volume passing offense. But when they do pass they're taking chunks at a time.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #33
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Morgan Moses...just a wow season imo. This guy was been super impressive...I see Trent, Schreff, and Moses as the long term anchors along the oline.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #34
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I look at Carolina and wonder how they haven't lost. They have no wr's, their defense is good but not dominant. They have old ass Charles Tillman starting, as well as Allen who can be run on. Biggest concern is can we stop them from running.

I think if we limit the turnovers this game can be won. I think we're going to have to get Jackson more involved and hit a couple bit plays. Big game for KC obviously...

I'm already pumped for this game. Imagine... we have a meaningful game in Nov.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #35
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Thanks! For some reason, we seem to put together some very ugly wins, yet consistently they are wins. A lot of it has to do with the fact that, if and when we get ahead, we focus on running out the clock more than running up the score. So it seems to always come down to one of the last drives.

I'm sorry. I'm one of those goofy fans that know a bunch about my team but I know little of your strengths and weaknesses. If I were game planning against the Panthers, I'd say the same that most of you have said here: Try to contain Cam and do whatever you can to stop Olsen. You are right about our receivers. It's almost like we have an endless supply of #2 or maybe even #3 receivers. Weird thing is, someone different keeps showing up just enough. I've almost gotten the impression that we are better off this way because it's so hard to figure out who the star will be on this day.

We have the makings of a spectacular D, but oddly enough, we've let other teams move better than expected, but our offense has done better than expected without our top receiver so it's worked out.
I have to say I thought Cam was going to be a huge bust coming out. Dude is a pure stud. Don't care what his stats look like or his completion %, none of that matters with Cam. He just gets the job done and should be mentioned for MVP.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #36
over the mountain
Playmaker

The Panthers Defense should give us a ton of problems. They should be able to take away the run and Reed .. which leaves us with needing to rely upon jackson, garcon and crowder to win 1 on 1 battles with the secondary. Reed had 3 catches last week w Browner on him.

10th total yds/gm
6th pts/gm
8th lowest 3rd down conversion
11th pass yds/gm
14th run yds/gm
6th in total sacks at 26 (they havent had their bye yet so any total nos. are slightly inflated when compared to a team like us that has had their bye - we are ranked 26th in sacks w 15)
NFL Stats: by Team Category

Apparently the Panthers LB corps are the best in coverage and not allowing teams to get outside and turn the corner.

"The Carolina Panthers are loaded with talent at the linebacker position, that's never been the question. With studs in Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis, as well as a rookie playmaker in Shaq Thompson, the Panthers probably have the best LB unit in the NFL.

While Kuechly and Davis are known for doing many things incredibly well, Pro Football Focus recently posted their top five LBs in coverage. Take a wild guess at which two players ranked in the top three?"

Carolina Panthers have two of the best coverage linebackers in the NFL | FOX Sports

The also have arguably the best cornerback in the league this year in Josh Norman.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...fl-cornerback/
Old 11-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #37
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Their schedule hasn't been the toughest...Jacksonville, Houston, Titans, Bucs.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #38
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
thanks, I had heard that but havent looked into it yet. That and they dont really put together long drives, they have great ST (i could see ginn taking one back).

They should be able to run at will on us, stop our run and cover Reed =

Old 11-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #39
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

don't set up the Cousins apologist like last time against the Pats..."what do you expect, its Carolina. We werent gonna win"

Not buying it against the Panthers...not one bit. Carolina is def beatable...
Old 11-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #40
coffee
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
And the rest of the schedule has been Colts, Saints, Packers, Eagles and the Seahawks at their place.
coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #41
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
don't set up the Cousins apologist like last time against the Pats..."what do you expect, its Carolina. We werent gonna win"

Not buying it against the Panthers...not one bit. Carolina is def beatable...
So if Cousins doesnt win us the game ... against an 8-0 team with a really good D that matches up well against our offensive weapons ..... we blame cousins?

i think Cousins is going to throw 1-2 picks, i think the Panthers are going to take things away forcing Cousins to have to try and make something out of broken plays, which he is not good at.

If the run game shows up, that will go a long way. If we are one dimensional and have to rely on Cousins to make it happen .. I dont see it being a good game stat wise for cousins.

who knows, maybe desean pops the top a few times in the 1st half, we force rivera and co. to roll coverage over top every play, open things up for crowder/garcon .. . PA is now working allowing longer developing plays and freezing the LBs for a second .. cam stubs his big toe ... we get a D td and contain their ST .... on paper though, id put my money on the undefeated panthers vs the 4-5 skins.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
And the rest of the schedule has been Colts, Saints, Packers, Eagles and the Seahawks at their place.
Pack and Seahawks are great wins on the road...but the Pack are the only team with a winning record. Is that right?
Old 11-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #43
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
So if Cousins doesnt win us the game ... against an 8-0 team with a really good D that matches up well against our offensive weapons ..... we blame cousins?

i think Cousins is going to throw 1-2 picks, i think the Panthers are going to take things away forcing Cousins to have to try and make something out of broken plays, which he is not good at.

If the run game shows up, that will go a long way. If we are one dimensional and have to rely on Cousins to make it happen .. I dont see it being a good game stat wise for cousins.

who knows, maybe desean pops the top a few times in the 1st half, we force rivera and co. to roll coverage over top every play, open things up for crowder/garcon .. . PA is now working allowing longer developing plays and freezing the LBs for a second .. cam stubs his big toe ... we get a D td and contain their ST .... on paper though, id put my money on the undefeated panthers vs the 4-5 skins.
Of course not gonna blame just Cousins, I haven't in the past. Im just saying Carolina isn't a great as people made them out to be. Yes great defense, but offense doesn't match up with the other great ones in the NFL. They let people hang around. Check out their wins and who against

But keeping the bar set low for Cousins is apologist-type stuff. I dont get it. Poor way of thinking. Folks did it before and after the Pats games.

If your an improving QB you make a couple plays a game to keep your team in it...I point to the Atlanta game, he did it there so keep the bar where it is...don't lower it like folks did for the Pats...Its apologists crap.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #44
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

There is a difference between realist and apologist. Often times the boundaries are gray and fuzzy, but in this case the Carolina D is a notch above most we have played and a different universe than the Saints.

I wouldn't be shocked if we crashed hard this week, but will be very impressed if we pull out a 21-17 win.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #45
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

The Panthers are a lot like the Jets with a way better offense.

That being said, I think we sneak one this weekend.