diets

Parking Lot

Old 03-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #31
MTK
\m/

Re: diets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
I quit drinking regular pop a few years ago too. It really is freaking gross when I try it now. Once you aquire the taste for diet, you'll be fine just give it a couple weeks. The amount of Calories you can save from not drinking pop is unreal.
Pop... I can tell where you're from!

Advertisements
Old 03-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #32
That Guy
Living Legend

two things i love are salt and sugar I probably eat way too much of both, but no harm thus far... I don't drink/smoke etc (beer is a big cause of weight gain), eat nearly 0 fat (love chicken, not a big beef guy), and i'm also never very hungry (just don't eat much, never have)... that workss fine for me, but i don't have any fat genes or what have you to deal with...

The problem i have with diet soda is that nutrasweet tastes like horse dung to me and you end up hitting the restroom a LOT more (guess why truckers don't drink diet soda? )
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #33
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72

LOL! Yeah; I'm gonna take my pop and go have a sucker (is that what we call lollypops here that no one else knows about??) Who knows? Damn Rochestarian accent haha.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #34
skinznut
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72

He must be from upstate NY (as if I didn't already know that from the fact he's in Rochester) . I grew up saying the same thing.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:17 PM   #35
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

The best diet I ever stuck with was pretty simple. Drink less soda and drink more water, eat more chicken, fish, and steak when budgeted, less carbs but not completely shutting them out of my diet, and more fresh vegetables. Also eating multiple small snacks spread out through the day and having a regular sized meal for dinner was helpful in keeping myself from having too big of meal all the time.The key for me was keeping track of the calories on a daily basis both a few days before I started my diet and every day during it. It really opened my eyes and motivated me to change some things and that's the main thing that's hard for me is the motivation factor. I'm about to start on a diet/workout being put together for me by my uncle cuz after having a lot of knee pains again lately I want to help myself out not only for now but for my future health as well.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:54 PM   #36
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
15 lbs. in one month just by drinking diet.....Dude, were you hooked up to a 7up IV or something?
Dude...I am a soda freak. Conservatively, I'd say I drink anywhere in the neighborhood of 130 oz a day of diet coke. Too put that in perspective that's almost 11 cans of soda. That's a crazy amount of sugar when you think about it. Once I stopped drinking regular that was like 2000 cals off my plate.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:08 AM   #37
MTK
\m/

I'd say if you were drinking that much soda, cutting it out would definitely result in a significant weight loss. All that sugar, damn!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #38
metalskins
The Starter

So I was about to create a thread called "Eff Diets" when I did a forum search and found this thread. I'm assuming none of you guys have been on a diet since 2005? LOL!

OK, so it's 2017 and your friend Metalskins is on a diet. I had ballooned up to about 220 pounds last year, joined a gym, tried to eat a bit healthier (still wasn't eating that great), was able to get down to about 203, and then wound up gaining most of that weight back. Started having some health issues, as well as bad knees and a bad back. Decided I needed a change!

Two days after St. Patty's Day, I started this no sugar diet. No sweets. No soda. No alcohol (gulp). No fried foods. Low carbs, higher protein. No breads, with the exception of sugar free whole grain. I started off around 214 lbs, and today, I'm down to 193.2 lbs. I'm only about 5'9", and I'm medium to small frame, so I can't really carry a lot of weight to begin with. I feel so much better. I still have a long ways to go, as my healthy weight range is between 130 - 165lbs, but I've seen a huge difference in losing 21 pounds. Oh, and I can't stress enough the water. I'm constantly drinking water all day long, which has helped to flush my system!

I went from wearing size 38 and 40 waist back down to 34 and 36 waist (some of my jeans are 34 waist and fit perfectly!) My face looked all puffy with double chins (think Scot McCloughan) and now all of that is gone. I literally look like I turned back the clock on my age! Favorite shirts I had that I thought I was going to have to kiss goodbye fit me perfectly now. Those shirts are mediums and larges. I feel like I'm getting my closet full of clothes back now, instead of a small section of fat man clothes!

Man, I feel so much better! I've lost most of this weight solely on the diet. I haven't exercised a great deal, with the exception of tennis once a week and maybe the gym once a week if I get a chance. Other than that, it's been more or less walking on my lunch break and the diet. My goal, of course, is to get back into the healthy weight range, so I still have a good ways to go (need to drop about another 30 pounds), but I'm getting there a lot quicker than I thought I was going to get there.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #39
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Awesome! Nice job!!

I yo-yo diet a LOT. The biggest thing I've found is this: Give up alcohol (like literally not even one drink) for a solid month. The weight just melts off.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #40
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
So I was about to create a thread called "Eff Diets" when I did a forum search and found this thread. I'm assuming none of you guys have been on a diet since 2005? LOL!

OK, so it's 2017 and your friend Metalskins is on a diet. I had ballooned up to about 220 pounds last year, joined a gym, tried to eat a bit healthier (still wasn't eating that great), was able to get down to about 203, and then wound up gaining most of that weight back. Started having some health issues, as well as bad knees and a bad back. Decided I needed a change!

Two days after St. Patty's Day, I started this no sugar diet. No sweets. No soda. No alcohol (gulp). No fried foods. Low carbs, higher protein. No breads, with the exception of sugar free whole grain. I started off around 214 lbs, and today, I'm down to 193.2 lbs. I'm only about 5'9", and I'm medium to small frame, so I can't really carry a lot of weight to begin with. I feel so much better. I still have a long ways to go, as my healthy weight range is between 130 - 165lbs, but I've seen a huge difference in losing 21 pounds. Oh, and I can't stress enough the water. I'm constantly drinking water all day long, which has helped to flush my system!

I went from wearing size 38 and 40 waist back down to 34 and 36 waist (some of my jeans are 34 waist and fit perfectly!) My face looked all puffy with double chins (think Scot McCloughan) and now all of that is gone. I literally look like I turned back the clock on my age! Favorite shirts I had that I thought I was going to have to kiss goodbye fit me perfectly now. Those shirts are mediums and larges. I feel like I'm getting my closet full of clothes back now, instead of a small section of fat man clothes!

Man, I feel so much better! I've lost most of this weight solely on the diet. I haven't exercised a great deal, with the exception of tennis once a week and maybe the gym once a week if I get a chance. Other than that, it's been more or less walking on my lunch break and the diet. My goal, of course, is to get back into the healthy weight range, so I still have a good ways to go (need to drop about another 30 pounds), but I'm getting there a lot quicker than I thought I was going to get there.
Wow dude nice!. Id like to lose a solid 10 lbs. I got down to 202 at one point, but im back to 215. Im a little over 6'2. I really miss running, that held my weight down.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #41
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Great job metalskins! I enjoyed the part about "ballooning up" to 220, that would be some weight loss for me. I'm currently around 240, at my highest a couple years ago I was at 260, but working in a parts department where I'm in and out of my chair every other minute has helped dropped some weight. Ideally I'd like to get back into the diet/exercise thing but I don't do too much other than try to keep my intake in moderation. The other healthy thing I do is no more soda, or pretty much any soft drink for that matter (been soda-free since Thanksgiving 2009).

I'll have chocolate milk once in a blue moon, and for a while I was sipping grape G2 Gatorade on occasions where I wanted some flavor, but it's typically water with every meal unless I'm out in public. Not much of a drinker but I'll have a few beers when I'm hanging out with some friends from time to time.

The latest big switch I've made is replacing G2 grape with flavored water from Wegmans, it's not even carbonated and the only difference from bottled water is you get a slight aftertaste with some flavor in it at the end. Took me a couple weeks to adjust but now I don't sip Gatorade any more, unless I'm at work and I just finished unloading 30-40 school bus/garbage truck tires (those mfers are heavy and bulky, great workout though). That's typically a twice-a-week ordeal so I've gotten used to it by now.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #42
MTK
\m/

wow, blast from the past with this thread

I've been trying the 5:2 approach lately and having success. You eat normally 5 days a week and fast 2 days. It's not a zero calorie fast, you limit yourself to 600 calories so I'll have a small snack in the morning followed by a light lunch. It's not all that hard to do once you get the hang of it.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #43
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I have always been big.In college in 74, I was just under 6'1 and 230 with a 34 inch wast and I could eat anything ,I have always been working a job where I did something just not at a desk. Now years later I retired at 61 and up to 330 pounds , have been walking steady every morning now up to six miles a day since August and have dropped 30 lbs ,I feel much better ,blood pressure is much better.No diet really and if I would I might be doing better.No joke cheerios every morning with juice and fruit,always a small lunch and I try to go to dinner at 5 pm(sometimes a snack of pop corn) and bed around 9.Try to stay away from white bread and soda.Turkey Hill Diet Green Tea with Honey that and water is what I have been drinking.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #44
metalskins
The Starter

Thanks guys! I weighed in at 191.2 lbs this morning! I really think, just as to what Malcolm alluded to, giving up the alcohol for a month has helped tremendously! I'd say both alcohol and soft drinks. Literally, I drink water as if my life depends on it. I try my best to at least get in 80 ounces of water a day, but I try to shoot for 100 ounces. Probably said this in my last post, but I do allow myself one cup of caffeinated coffee a day, but no sugar or creamer. I'll put some soy milk in it but that's about it. The rest of the day, nothing but water.

I eat two boiled eggs in the morning. I don't know why boiled eggs are healthier than scrambled or fried. I guess because I'm not using any oil or butter to grease the pan. We only cook with olive oil, but olive oil still has fat in it I guess, so boiled eggs it is!

The rest of the day, I'll snack on almonds (just straight almonds), maybe an apple if I have it, either low fat soup for lunch of grilled chicken. No bread unless its sugar free whole grain. That bread is nasty, but when you have to eat something, you'll eat it. Dinner time, honestly, again, about the same. No bread, no potatoes unless they're sweet potatoes, grilled lean meat, no red meat. No processed shit, no fried anything. No starchy foods. Absolutely no sweets whatsoever.

I won't be this strict once I hit my goal. I'll allow myself some white potatoes, red meat, and occasional alcohol, but it's not going to be an every day thing. Probably will stick to being strict with the diet during the week, so I can have something to look forward on the weekends. Especially during football season. Beer, hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill go with the big game on the boob tube, so I won't deny myself that pleasure. The hardest thing will be maintaining. I might have to look in on what Matty is doing with the 5:2 thing. Maintaining has always been hard for me, because I'm almost like an addict when it comes to food. If I have that one piece of cake, it does something to my brain that causes me to start craving sweets. The same for fried foods. I have one meal from Chic-Fl-A or Five Guys (love their burgers), then I'm hooked. Alcohol can be just as addictive. So, getting back to a point where I can allow treats will be interesting. I have to keep myself in check.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #45
MTK
\m/

Alcohol is definitely a killer, just empty calories, still love it though lol