Running Game

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #31
Green1
Special Teams

Re: Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
So which is? Portis and the backs, Oline and there issues, or Zorn,Buges, and coaching staff? Id say the most likely the Oline. The right side is garbage trying to run the ball. But I would also say we mos def need someone new back there running the ball. Portis and Betts are similar runners, we need somebody who is quicker out of the backfield. Im in favor of giving Mason, Aldridge more carries to see what we have, and if we can improve and I completely support a using one of the first pics on someone new (the other on a lineman of course).
The Oline and Zorn. Zorn calls the same stretch play ever 1st down. The D knows what is coming. Oline is not blocking anyone.
Green1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #32
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Dead on!
I think the blocking is OK, but Portis has lost a step people.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #33
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
You are obviously under the assumption that the blocking piss poor then? I'm not saying we are blocking at a very good pace, but it's OK...average. It absolutely should be better, but we should also have a running back that can hit the holes considering what he's getting paid.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #34
MTK
\m/

The blocking has been mediocre at best (short yardage though has been brutal). The bigger issue is the offense hasn't been on the field long enough to establish the run.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #35
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
You are obviously under the assumption that the blocking piss poor then? I'm not saying we are blocking at a very good pace, but it's OK...average. It absolutely should be better, but we should also have a running back that can hit the holes considering what he's getting paid.
NO assumptions. We had 0 yard rushing in the first half. Let me repeat that 0. We are not playing the Ravens or Pittsburgh when Polomalu (excuse my spelling) is there. When you can't get a yard or open a hole it is piss poor. We were playing the Detroit Lions.

Your words: "we should also have a running back that can hit the holes considering what he's getting paid"

You act like Portis has been a bum his whole career or is a rookie who is just starting to learn how to run the ball. There is no hole. The O-line gets bitched on running plays. I wont even address this anymore. Because you obviously dont get it. Even if you think Portis has lost a step. He knows how to hit a hole. Now taking it the distance is something totally different. Further more he is running the plays the way they are supposed to be run. We shoud be runing up the middle. But our O-line is not that good to even do that. Its patchwork at best. I think you are in denial.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #36
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

It seems Philly's short yardage problems last year has transferred over to the Skins' red zone running game.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #37
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Bad blocking, same running plays, average running backs. Our change of pace rb is a slower Portis who doesnt run as hard. That 4th and 1 run was beyond pathetic, Portis fell down. He wasnt tackled, HE FELL DOWN.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #38
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
Bad blocking, same running plays, average running backs. Our change of pace rb is a slower Portis who doesnt run as hard. That 4th and 1 run was beyond pathetic, Portis fell down. He wasnt tackled, HE FELL DOWN.
Actually I think he got shoe string tackled. Sayign that the O-line should have blocked better. I agree with everything you said besides that and Clinton is a little above average. But our O-line would makes anyone look average. But you are correct. All Betts is good for is catching the ball out the backfield. But we all know the Betts Rock lovefest will continue.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #39
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Actually I think he got shoe string tackled. Sayign that the O-line should have blocked better. I agree with everything you said besides that and Clinton is a little above average. But our O-line would makes anyone look average. But you are correct. All Betts is good for is catching the ball out the backfield. But we all know the Betts Rock lovefest will continue.
Thats kind of the point, on a 1 yard play you dont go down on a shoestring attempt of a tackle. It's just pessimism on my part, right now everything looks bad and everyone sucks. All seriousness, Clinton does not have it anymore, and i think last years fast start was more on the Oline healthy and clicking.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #40
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
What happened to it?

In the opening game against the Giants Portis broke off 34 yds. and the running game has been virtually non existent since that time.

The running game has no versatility, I've only seen one running play and that's portis left. This is not going to change because every team in the league knows we're going to run left. Show run formation, defenses slant to their right, play over. Run game needs an influx of creativity.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #41
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
Thats kind of the point, on a 1 yard play you dont go down on a shoestring attempt of a tackle. It's just pessimism on my part, right now everything looks bad and everyone sucks. All seriousness, Clinton does not have it anymore, and i think last years fast start was more on the Oline healthy and clicking.
Okay. Lets think about this. We are on the 1 yard line. Clinton gets tackled. O-line obviously wasn't blocking well. Obviously they were in the backfield. Think about it a shoe string tackle on the 1 yard line. Which means he was hardly back to the line of scrimmage before he was getting tackled. The guy would have to be in the backfield. That's why we need to run up the middle. That was a bad play call. We need our power running game back. Or is our o-line that soft? I would say yes.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #42
SUNRA
The Starter

[quote=saden1;598822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post

If you can't run the ball you don't win. I refuse to believe we can't run the ball all of a sudden. We're the same god damn team we were last year. We can run the ball, the problem is when you call running plays. Zorn is shit. Watching this game makes me sick.

Zero rushing yards at halftime? Against the Lions?
We have five RB's on the roster. Why sign Alridge if you don't trust him to add speed to a running back core that has no speed and Marcus Mason must be used if Portis is not healthy which is almost every important third down conversion. Zorn knew Portis wasn't healthy and instead of playing the other healthy backs in the running game we force passes to Moss which leads to an INT.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #43
NicknacK89
Special Teams

I think this isn't all the o-lines fault. Call me crazy but Portis is a bit of a sass-monster, and I love his swagger when he's pulling out 180 yard games, but not when he tries to turn the corner on short yardage plays. He just needs to cut up field on those short yardage plays and lower is head. Now hear is where I'll probably make some enemies. The biggest knock on Mason is that he doesn't block or catch particularly well for a runner, but there is no denying he can run. I love his upfield running style, where you see him wait for a whole and then explode through it. Don't get me started on Betts, he's done, but I would like to see Mason get some touches. Let the criticism begin...
NicknacK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #44
44Deezel
The Starter

1) Passing game doesn't scare anyone and therefore does no favors to the running game.

2) Run blocking ain't very good

3) Play calling is boring and predictable

4) RBs are average. We don't have a home run hitter, the backs are non-existent in the passing game and we are one of the few remaining teams to use a feature-back vs. RB platoon. Not that we have anyone worth a damn playing behind Portis.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #45
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicknacK89 View Post
I think this isn't all the o-lines fault. Call me crazy but Portis is a bit of a sass-monster, and I love his swagger when he's pulling out 180 yard games, but not when he tries to turn the corner on short yardage plays. He just needs to cut up field on those short yardage plays and lower is head. Now hear is where I'll probably make some enemies. The biggest knock on Mason is that he doesn't block or catch particularly well for a runner, but there is no denying he can run. I love his upfield running style, where you see him wait for a whole and then explode through it. Don't get me started on Betts, he's done, but I would like to see Mason get some touches. Let the criticism begin...
We only throw to backs as a last resort, so it's not important that Mason can't catch.