What are you going to do about it?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #31
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Re: What are you going to do about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
That is the kind of logic that gets most fanatics into trouble.
It makes no sense.

This sounds more like religon than being a fan.
Not judging...cause I've been there too....still am, kinda.

I'd like to be a Skins fan without all the pain...somehow, we gotta find the solution....I think the solution is put them at a lower priority level.
You will know you do when you actually choose something else over watching the game...I am not there yet.
I'm with Steven4est here. Sports fandom is not about rational choice. It's about blind, unreflective irrationality, mixed in with a touch of jingoistic homerism and a dab of violent tribal lunacy. And there's the beer. And hotwings.

I suffer when the team loses, I gain in joy and confidence when they win. Does this make ANY sense in the grand scheme of things? No! Would I trade it for a life without irrational fandom, even of a team that loses to the 0-19 Lions? Not for a second.

Now pass the beer, fire up the grill, get out the foam #1 finger and the overpriced replica jersey AND ROOT FOR THE SKINS!!!!

(Sometimes, thinking is overrated. And I am a philosophy professor. Seriously.)

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #32
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
My point is that this comment sound more like a "faith" issue and a "core identity" of who you are and your purpose in life rather than being a fan of a football team hoping that they win more than lose...again...not judging because I see myself in that comment...I am just trying to become less extreme with my skins' needs
I'm with you. See JWsleep's post, thinking is overrated
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #33
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I took my wife and her sister and their friends out to lunch and then clothes and shoe shopping yesterday. Granted, I hung out outside the stores and followed the game on my phone until I could get home and watch it, but still...
And you're admitting this here....
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #34
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
And you're admitting this here....
My world is sports 70% of the day. I'm entitled to a little respite every now and then
Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #35
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I took my wife and her sister and their friends out to lunch and then clothes and shoe shopping yesterday. Granted, I hung out outside the stores and followed the game on my phone until I could get home and watch it, but still...
By this post we can tell who just tied the knot. I don't do the shopping thing even if I have nothing to do and that was clear way before we got married. All I had to do was make shopping with me as miserable experience as I could when we first started dating and my wife never ask me to go shopping. I will go out with her to buy things for the house but not shopping for clothes and shoes thats what she has her friends for. I do watch every skins game and she has known this from day one so it never really ever comes up. She does like the fact that I don't let a loss bother me anymore and sometimes she gets ticked more than me.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #36
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
Wow...baby steps is true..but giving up the Skins game for "SHOE SHOPPING"
I don't ever think I could ever achieve such a feat.
That is totally out of control.
I hope your wife appreciates the sacrifice you made for her...you should show her this link!

My goal is to stop scheduling weddings, birthday parties, dates with wife, out of town company around the Skins game.
Just last week, I had my out of town Mom go out shopping during the Skins game so I could watch through my slingbox...but even if I get better.....I would never,... ever choose shopping over watching the Skins.

The Priority tree always has shopping way at the bottom.
I just got to get the Skins off the top.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #37
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Don't fool yourself. You're on a message board writing about them on a Monday. Join the mutiny Dynamite. It will be fun.
I'm going to change my avatar and drink until I can't feel feelings anymore. Then I'm gonna buy me some weed, a hooker, 2 nurse outfits and post the video on youtube.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #38
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I'm going to change my avatar and drink until I can't feel feelings anymore. Then I'm gonna buy me some weed, a hooker, 2 nurse outfits and post the video on youtube.
It's good to have goals..........
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #39
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
All I had to do was make shopping with me as miserable experience as I could
Good technique.
I've been married 19 years.
Try these get out of work methods

Washer:
Obvious: red sock with whites on hot

Dryer:
Bathing suits on hot heavy duty

Dishes:
Anything not dishwasher safe...tip...use bottom rack for maximum effect, fancy glasses are a must try.

Grocery Shopping
Buy things that are close but are way off...ex...buy "unsalted" butter vs "salted" butter, baking powder vs baking soda, buttermilk vs milk

Lawnmowing:
Treat flowerbeds like grass...just don't be so obvious....not to mention fertilizer...make sure you zig zag that stuff.

Home Repair:
Always break something else when repairing...ideally the tools themselves, so you can't use em again

Trash:
This is a man's job...no way out...please advise.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #40
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
My world is sports 70% of the day. I'm entitled to a little respite every now and then
Mine is too, I just hope the web-filters don't catch up to me.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #41
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Mine is too, I just hope the web-filters don't catch up to me.
LOL. Somehow I doubt that will happen to me

Seriously though, it was painful when I was covering the Redskins back in the day. Watch the game and then have to go talk to the players and coaches immediately afterwards, and then regroup with the rest of the newsroom to plan the news for that night. And then back in the office Monday morning to talk more Redskins all while secretly being aggravated that I had to keep being reminded of a loss without any break. Of course when we won, it was a different story
Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #42
GusFrerotte

Dude, it is a game, a distraction, and a reason to party(tailgate) for most of those season ticket holders. Go ahead and boycott, nothing will change for the most part as folks love their bread and circuses. Best thing to do is just get involved with your community somehow and use gameday to do something more contructive if you don't want to waste your time with this claptrap organization. Pretty soon you will enjoy that and won't gove a hoot either way about how the Skins do. Ultimately it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. You aren't going to get some sort of monetary compensation or prize if the Skins win it all will you? You will just feel good for two weeks knowing your team won the SB just to realize it is next offseason already.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #43
GusFrerotte

You can't take anything that revolves around a game that seriously.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #44
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
That's what I'm talking about!

Seriously, we on the board are more than just average fans; We're dedicated. I don't get all bent out of shape as much as I used to. That doesn't mean I don't get pissed. I'm just throwing suggestions out there. I'm doing those things. It's not just talk. I have tickets to the Dallas game and I'm dreading the loss. We'll all still have a good time tailgating though. When is enough enough though?

I do have this girl though. Maybe we should get married and have kids. It seems to work for everyone else.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #45
bm32286
Camp Scrub

At the end of the day, no matter how terrible the Skins play, now matter how over priced the games are, and no matter how much our egotistical owner wants to micro-manage one of the greatest franchises in the world, I will still bleed the burgundy and gold and will still always pull for the Skins. We are all guilty of it every Monday (or Tuesday) morning when we wake up with the sour taste in our mouth from yet another loss where we successfully played to the level of our meager opponent. Let's not become fairweather fans like those in Philadelphia and New York. We have every right to be upset and pissed off, but in the end...we know we wouldn't have it any other way. We will always find ways to go to the games, turn on Fox and have the dip ready in time for kickoff, and sport our Cooley replica jersey while sitting in section 412 or on the La-Z-Boy. Why? Because we are Skins fans and we are apart of the greatest franchise in the world. Just some food for thought. We will turn this thing around. DOn't ever jump ship. No matter how upset you become and how ridiculous the situation becomes. Hail to the Skins.
bm32286 is offline   Reply With Quote