Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who will lead Washington in sacks this coming year?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-31-2024, 11:04 PM   #31
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Who will lead Washington in sacks this coming year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I'm not knocking Luvu, like I said I'm sure he's a pretty good player. But is he a Parsons type of guy? No. If we want that type of player we're most likely going to have to draft him.

Leading our team in sacks and being the best defensive player in the league are two different discussions.
Luvu is coming into his own. it took him some time, but if the last two years are any indication he is getting ready for take off.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-01-2024, 11:48 AM   #32
calia
Playmaker

And I love the fact that Luvu wants to absorb everything he can from Wagner. We need guys like that who guy who are very good and eager to learn and get better. That’s what the very best do. Very excited to see what this guy brings us this year. Biggest transformation of f a position group imaginable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2024, 12:14 AM   #33
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
And I love the fact that Luvu wants to absorb everything he can from Wagner. We need guys like that who guy who are very good and eager to learn and get better. That’s what the very best do. Very excited to see what this guy brings us this year. Biggest transformation of f a position group imaginable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luvu and Wagner are dramatic upgrades for a unit highly neglected by Rivera of all people. Excited to see what these 2 can bring to the unit. Wagner, in particular, was one of the more surprising signings this offseason- a good surprise.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 12:48 PM   #34
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
No such thing as too nasty up front. But Mathis was just a horrendous Rivera pick. Mathis was even confused by being picked in the 2nd round. Rivera was incompetent. Terrible HC, worse GM.
Horrendous might be a stretch, unless we are grading selections on their lack of contribution to their teams due to the injuries they suffer after being selected.

Everything I have seen indicates Phil was a day 2 pick, late 2nd / early 3rd rounder. He was taken in the middle of the 2nd. Not egregious by any means - if you listen to the experts.

Hopefully, this offseason getting healthy will propel him to a productive season in what could be a pretty nice rotation.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 11:18 PM   #35
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Horrendous might be a stretch, unless we are grading selections on their lack of contribution to their teams due to the injuries they suffer after being selected.

Everything I have seen indicates Phil was a day 2 pick, late 2nd / early 3rd rounder. He was taken in the middle of the 2nd. Not egregious by any means - if you listen to the experts.

Hopefully, this offseason getting healthy will propel him to a productive season in what could be a pretty nice rotation.
This is a huge year for Mathis. I gotta feeling Newton is going to be a stud. I also have expected more for Mathis at this point but still in a wait and see mode with him. He needs a strong year in 2024.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 01:38 AM   #36
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Difficult to see him getting enough snaps to do that, outside of a major injury crisis or trade. I think he needs to impress greatly in camp and make the most of every single snap. Generally players and their agents have a higher idea of where they will be drafted, so if he was surprised at being picked in the 2nd round then he likely expected to or had been told that he would go at the back end of the 3rd at best.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 06:52 AM   #37
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Yes, Mathis.

Injuries are part of the game. He's had a couple unfortunate ones that have derailed his young NFL career, but he should be back healthy this year. No reason he wouldn't make the final 53 unless he turns out to be the unluckiest m'fer and gets injured again.

I like the idea of Payne/Allen/Mathis/Newton/and Ridgeway in the middle providing they are all healthy, especially with the new LB corps.
He won't make the 53 if his work ethic is lacking or if he's just simply not that good.

The only time I saw him show up on film last year was in highlights for the opposing team's offensive line.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:32 AM   #38
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
He won't make the 53 if his work ethic is lacking or if he's just simply not that good.

The only time I saw him show up on film last year was in highlights for the opposing team's offensive line.
Maybe Mathis can return kicks?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 09:26 AM   #39
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Difficult to see him getting enough snaps to do that, outside of a major injury crisis or trade. I think he needs to impress greatly in camp and make the most of every single snap. Generally players and their agents have a higher idea of where they will be drafted, so if he was surprised at being picked in the 2nd round then he likely expected to or had been told that he would go at the back end of the 3rd at best.
Difficult to see him getting enough snaps to contribute to a rotation?

Generally...if...likely... Yes, and all that is really just speculation. I don't think all prospects know when they are getting drafted. They may have some idea, but you see players show up in person and never get called. You see players surprised by their selection all the time. He appears to have been a consensus day two pick, and that's where he was selected.

Y'all act like I am saying Mathis is set to take J Allen's job or something. I'm just saying he was a projected day two pick (2nd/3rd round); he was picked in the 2nd round (day 2) and has had injuries to start both seasons so far that put him on the IR. Maybe he will have a healthy offseason and contribute to a rotation. That is all.. Not too far-fetched a scenario my guys.

I agree he would be on the outside looking in on the 53-man roster if his work ethic sucks or he isn't that good. But do we know that at this point?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote