Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #31
warriorzpath

Re: Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I think JC should be back. I think I lot of the problem he was having was due to Zorn's play-calling and o-line protection.
I'd say that most of Campbell's problem was his trust in Zorn's play-calling and Zorn's trust in him.

I think most people were wrong in assuming that an improved o-line play would be a greater impact than an improved quarterback play (regardless of how the o-line was performing).

The offensive line has NOT played overwhelmingly better in the past 4-5 games, but Campbell has. His improved play has the redskins offense significantly playing better as a whole. I think the argument that I made before the redskins offense was performing better is being proven now - there is no greater impact on a team than how the quarterback is playing.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Zorn pointed out today that benching Campbell at halftime against KC was a turning point that essentially toughened Campbell up and forced him to take charge of the team if he was willing to. This is what almost everyone inside Redskins Park has been expecting from Campbell, for him to take charge as QB
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #33
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I'd say that most of Campbell's problem was his trust in Zorn's play-calling and Zorn's trust in him.

I think most people were wrong in assuming that an improved o-line play would be a greater impact than an improved quarterback play (regardless of how the o-line was performing).

The offensive line has NOT played overwhelmingly better in the past 4-5 games, but Campbell has. His improved play has the redskins offense significantly playing better as a whole. I think the argument that I made before the redskins offense was performing better is being proven now - there is no greater impact on a team than how the quarterback is playing.
I was watching KJ interview Campbell following the Raiders game and he seemed super relaxed and confident. I've never seen him quite like this following a game.

She asked how much has Sherm Lewis affected his play. He said the offense basically changed gears from, and I'm paraphrasing, a dink and donk to a more intermediate/down the field passing game. He also pointed out how they've put the game in his hands. Said he was thinking too much, and they told him to just go out and play. Even during timeouts, he would come to the sidelines and Zorn would tell him to do whatever it takes to keep the chains moving. If he could run, then run it. If there's a pass down field, then take it. Those are his marching orders now. He made that point to her. I found that interesting.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #34
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Zorn pointed out today that benching Campbell at halftime against KC was a turning point that essentially toughened Campbell up and forced him to take charge of the team if he was willing to. This is what almost everyone inside Redskins Park has been expecting from Campbell, for him to take charge as QB
And this is why I was putting most of the blame on him as a player and Zorn as a coach because (like I said weeks ago) it all starts with these 2. If you have these 2 doing well, your whole team does well. Seems logical enough now, but I was getting a whole lot of flack from having this opinion.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #35
saden1
MVP

Quote:

I don't know man...in the last five games the O-Line has allowed 8 sacks (3 against the Broncos, 1 against Cowboys, 1 against Eagles, 0 against Saints, 3 against Raiders). The eight games before that they allowed 28 sacks (3.5 sacks a game then and 1.6 sacks a game now). I think it would be foolish to say QB play is independent of O-Line play and vice versa is true.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #36
warriorzpath

Quote:
I don't know man...in the last five games the O-Line has allowed 8 sacks (3 against the Broncos, 1 against Cowboys, 1 against Eagles, 0 against Saints, 3 against Raiders). The eight games before that they allowed 28 sacks (3.5 sacks a game then and 1.6 sacks a game now). I think it would be foolish to say QB play is independent of O-Line play and vice versa is true.
Here we go again... with qb play vs. o-line play. I'm not trying to say they are independent of each other, but I think qb play has the greatest impact on the team by far.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #37
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

What more does Jason Campbell have to do to prove his worth? The Campbell haters point to him not leading the team to comebacks or taking the entire team on his shoulders and carrying it through victories. In the last five weeks, that's exactly what I've seen. It has not resulted in victories every week, but is that Campbell's fault? Replay these games and be honest with yourself. These losses have been due to a series of unfortunate events. There is a lot of blame to go around but more so, a lot of bad luck. Jason is doing his job. Bringing in a new college recruit is not going to make the situation better. Getting a gunslinger like Jay Cutler is not going to work either. Let's build on what has already been started. This year, the Skins improved their defensive line. That's been a need for five years or more. Next year, lets build the offensive line. That will improve the overall offense.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #38
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Here we go again... with qb play vs. o-line play. I'm not trying to say they are independent of each other, but I think qb play has the greatest impact on the team by far.
Yeah but you can't solve a picture puzzle with pieces missing. Games really are won and lost in the trenches. JC has been making plays with his feet as well and he deserves credit but let's not forget the big guys upfront.

BTW I do think Zorn is the new Steve Spurrier and his ineffectiveness was at display the first 8 games of the season.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #39
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
What more does Jason Campbell have to do to prove his worth? The Campbell haters point to him not leading the team to comebacks or taking the entire team on his shoulders and carrying it through victories. In the last five weeks, that's exactly what I've seen. It has not resulted in victories every week, but is that Campbell's fault? Replay these games and be honest with yourself. These losses have been due to a series of unfortunate events. There is a lot of blame to go around but more so, a lot of bad luck. Jason is doing his job. Bringing in a new college recruit is not going to make the situation better. Getting a gunslinger like Jay Cutler is not going to work either. Let's build on what has already been started. This year, the Skins improved their defensive line. That's been a need for five years or more. Next year, lets build the offensive line. That will improve the overall offense.
Amen!
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #40
Larry Michael is Satan
Special Teams

Lightbulb Re: Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Why would Jason Campbell want to come back? Sonny is right about next year, it's just a good deal, they only have to pay him 3.5 mil, and could possibly get a 1st and 2nd, not that that's going to happen. I'm sure he'll play one more year here, then be gone, by his choice.
Larry Michael is Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #41
rbanerjee23
The Starter

fix the o line..everyone who thinks Campbell should be replaced should have their posting rights curtailed

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #42
ashvirtually
Special Teams

Quote:
Yeah but you can't solve a picture puzzle with pieces missing. Games really are won and lost in the trenches. JC has been making plays with his feet as well and he deserves credit but let's not forget the big guys upfront.

BTW I do think Zorn is the new Steve Spurrier and his ineffectiveness was at display the first 8 games of the season.
Thank you. It is a symbiotic relationship. The line may not be playing "overwhelmingly" well (it isn't, it's lacking serious depth, it's a patchwork that's fighting to stay viable), but it is playing an arseload better than before the bye ... this, in turn, is affecting how J-Cam is playing, you can tell he trusts them ... and then they in turn play better and so forth. Add to that the improved play-calling and we have what we have now.

The problems we face and faced were never primarly Campbell's fault. That the team is playing better now is not just the result of him playing better.
ashvirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #43
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think Campbell's agent and the Redskins are secretly working on a long term deal. I think we're going to name someone General Manager this off-season and we won't be looking far to get him. I think the Redskins have Levi Jones penciled in as the starting LT for opening day 2010. I think Samuels, Betts, Randle El, Daniels, Randy Thomas, and Rock Cartwright are all gone. I think CJ Spiller will be our first pick. I think I'd rather they wait until the 2nd round and take Best or Dwyer. I think we don't take a OL before the 3rd round and we take 2 in the draft. I think I'm getting tired and need to stop rambling.
I think I need to stop reading Peter King's 10 Things I Think I Think
Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #44
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
I think Campbell's agent and the Redskins are secretly working on a long term deal. I think we're going to name someone General Manager this off-season and we won't be looking far to get him. I think the Redskins have Levi Jones penciled in as the starting LT for opening day 2010. I think Samuels, Betts, Randle El, Daniels, Randy Thomas, and Rock Cartwright are all gone. I think CJ Spiller will be our first pick. I think I'd rather they wait until the 2nd round and take Best or Dwyer. I think we don't take a OL before the 3rd round and we take 2 in the draft. I think I'm getting tired and need to stop rambling.
If they don't take an OL with their first 2 picks then I would consider this stupid and they haven't learned their lesson. They can find a good RB in the 4th or 3rd if a trade is made. I hope they are blowing smoke.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #45
MTK
\m/

Quote:
This would be a pretty nice scenario to me.

Do you think Morocco Brown could in the running for GM?