Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Thread Hell

Darrell Green Appearance Tonight

Thread Hell

Old 11-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #31
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

Re: Darrell Green Appearance Tonight

Sorry, just protecting the franchise. At least they don't pull guns on people for no reason, which is what our current face of the franchise did.

Advertisements
Old 11-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #32
firstdown
Living Legend

Most retired players sell their autographs for money that they keep. Green signs his for a charity which is one that when he retired said would be his main focuse. If he still signed for free then his fans would not turn out to events such as this to pay for his autograph. So he had to make the decission to only sign autographs at these events.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:28 AM   #33
Darrell_Green_28
The Starter

It could be because people get his Autographs and sell them alot and by charging for them and with him knowing that if they go and sell it that atleast some money went to a good cause because alot of people just get autos so they can make money especially if they are free..
Old 11-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #34
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28 View Post
It could be because people get his Autographs and sell them alot and by charging for them and with him knowing that if they go and sell it that atleast some money went to a good cause because alot of people just get autos so they can make money especially if they are free..
So how WAS your signing Darrell?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #35
Redskins
Camp Scrub

For those wondering how Green acts off the field…….

I’ve met him twice. The first time he was at the Redskins Store in Fair Oaks mall the year after he retired. Many people came to see him and he didn’t sign a single autograph because he was there mainly to publicize the store, not to sign anything. People became very agitated and he eventually left with people following him through the mall as he repeatedly refused to sign anything. As far as I know, he did not sign a single thing.

The second time I met him was in the lobby of my office earlier this year. He had a meeting to discuss his charity with the owner. I walked right up to him and flatly said, “thanks very much for everything you did for the Redskins and for all your efforts on the field over the years”. His reply (and I’m not even close to kidding), “where’s the bathroom”. With that, he turned and walked around the corner with nothing more to say.

I guess everyone can make their own opinion of him, but honestly, I didn’t find him remotely personable. I say this as a fan and someone who doesn’t know what it’s like to constantly get hounded for autographs and pictures. I’m sure some days he just wants to be anonymous, but that’s just not the path he took. He can’t just turn it on and off and I regret that the person I built him up to be wasn’t the person he really was. With that, I’ll appreciate him on the field, but he won’t be receiving any Christmas cards from me.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #36
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

Damn, that makes him sound like Barry Bonds. I guess I hope to never run into him.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #37
Redskins
Camp Scrub

On the other hand, when Gibbs returned and was available for Fan Appreciation Day, he sat there well past the time slotted for signings, sat there with direct sun on him, sat there even though the line waiting for him was the longest, sat there without eating even though he is diabetic, sat there after a full practice, sat there even though he had to rush to catch a plane for a game the following day, sat there and signed every-single-autograph long after every other team member was long gone, and sat there plenty long enough to earn my lifelong respect regardless of the teams present record. That is how you become an icon.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #38
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins View Post
For those wondering how Green acts off the field…….

I’ve met him twice. The first time he was at the Redskins Store in Fair Oaks mall the year after he retired. Many people came to see him and he didn’t sign a single autograph because he was there mainly to publicize the store, not to sign anything. People became very agitated and he eventually left with people following him through the mall as he repeatedly refused to sign anything. As far as I know, he did not sign a single thing.

The second time I met him was in the lobby of my office earlier this year. He had a meeting to discuss his charity with the owner. I walked right up to him and flatly said, “thanks very much for everything you did for the Redskins and for all your efforts on the field over the years”. His reply (and I’m not even close to kidding), “where’s the bathroom”. With that, he turned and walked around the corner with nothing more to say.

I guess everyone can make their own opinion of him, but honestly, I didn’t find him remotely personable. I say this as a fan and someone who doesn’t know what it’s like to constantly get hounded for autographs and pictures. I’m sure some days he just wants to be anonymous, but that’s just not the path he took. He can’t just turn it on and off and I regret that the person I built him up to be wasn’t the person he really was. With that, I’ll appreciate him on the field, but he won’t be receiving any Christmas cards from me.
Thank you. Now does everyone wanna jump on me? Exactly what I thought....
Old 11-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #39
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zimmermans View Post
Damn, that makes him sound like Barry Bonds. I guess I hope to never run into him.
I doubt Bonds donates to any charity other than his legal fund.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #40
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I doubt Bonds donates to any charity other than his legal fund.
True, Bonds probably invests everything into BALCO, or helps them with legal fees, so he can stay JACKED
Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #41
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

THAT'S humor!!!!!!! But, not to attractive if your a sports icon
Old 11-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #42
PhxRedSkin
Special Teams

Re: Darrell Green Apperence Tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
yeah, you have to buy the junk so that he'll sign it.

Anybody who trashes on 28 ought to be ashamed. Some of you are pissed that he wants donations for his autographs. Look where his donations go....The September 11th fund, the United Way, the Loudoun Education Fund, The United Way, the Darrell Green Youth Life Fund, The YMCA and numerous other charity organizations. You are railing him for what I ask? He was born a poor child near Houston and has made an enormous difference in countless peoples lives and "you people" burn him at the stake for wanting a charitable contribution for his autograph. I just want to know at what point or when did he say "well I need $500 for my autograph" to put in his own pocket? Michael Jordan charges that or more and no charities are receiving....I know. I'm aquainted with MJ. How dare you bag on one of the few true REDSKINS. He's a true stand up man in my book.
Hail first round #28
Old 11-18-2006, 07:40 AM   #43
dmek25
MVP

greens last season, i was at the 4:00 tampa game real early. me and my friend went into fedex and right down to field level. green was the only one on the field warming up. we had about a 5 minute chat with him and he seemed real nice. but reading this stuff, i am starting to rethink my opinion of him. i guess just because you are a good player, it doesnt mean your not a horses ass
Old 11-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #44
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

I met DG once and don't care to ever again. I was embarrassed for my son to see a guy he respected as part of the Redskins be so rude and self serving.

We were PAID and last in line when his "time ran out" just before us. I had to chase him down begging and when he did stop and sign he talked down to me and my son for bugging him.

~spits at DG
Old 11-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #45
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

I guess I could brag I "chased down DG"!
Wish I would have tackeled him instead of getting a worthless autograph.

lol