Parking Lot

Old 04-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #31
redsk1
The Starter

Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Then apply somewhere else.

Some people just need to work, period. Beggers can't be choosers.

Besides, most of their employees are kids who need gas/cellphone cash, retired people looking for something to do in their free time or people who can barely speak English.

Retail stores are not meant to be careers nor should anyone expect benefits from them. In college, I worked in a nice hotel without ANY insurance or benefits beyond a discount and free coffee. I worked hard and made myself better and got what I wanted from an employer. If I lost my jobs and could only get a job temporaily at Walmart (hope this NEVER happens), I wouldn't be whining about benefits, I'd work to get myself out of there.

I have no issue with the store paying whatever they can or need to to get positions filled, it is how they keep the costs down. If the workers want better benefits, the company will have to take it out of their pay or get rid of some of them from the increased prices and lower revenue.
Hey, i'm not saying it's not their right. Walmart can pay whatever they want. I'm saying they have historically they don't treat their employees very well.

A pretty good article about Walmart. There's tons of them out there.

The Pulitzer Prizes | An Empire Built on Bargains Remakes the Working World

Again, it's w/n their rights...i just so happen to hate Walmart and the way they run their business.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #32
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Buster not sure how old you are but at one time working at these large retail stores (Sears, JC Penny's) you could make it a decent career. I know several older people who work at Sears and made decent money and had a nice pension plan. Then stores like WM and Kmart opened up and started expanding all this changed. These stores only hired part time people so they could sell items much cheaper so places like Sears and JCP almost went belly up back in the 80's. Now look at the people working at these two stores and you will see they now offer fewer benfits and hire the cheaper part time workers so WM and Kmart really changed the retail business.
You can't solely blame the stores, in general, it takes more money to survive. The days of single-income families are long gone.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #33
cpayne5
Playmaker

I don't see WalMart as a bad thing. Head on down to Warrenton to check out a nice WalMart. Warrenton's small mom-and-pop stores are thriving alongside it. It's not one of those super WalMarts, but just one of the small, normal(?) sized ones. It's never super crowded (I hate crowds) and it doesn't feel like some sort of industrial monstrosity like some of the bigger ones do. I can honestly say that the Warrenton WalMart has not brought any trash or filth to the town. It's been there for probably 10 years now.

If WalMart wants to come to Stephens City, it probably will. My advice would be to try and find a middle ground with the corporation. See if they will build a small store. Propose that they construct the building so that it will fit in architecturally.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #34
saden1
MVP

Wal-Mart blows...wouldn't want that piece of shit store in my neighborhood not that they could anyways. Good look fighting those parasitic SOBs.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #35
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Footage of SolidSnake84 at Wal-Mart:

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #36
itvnetop
Playmaker

SolidSnake, I actually spent half my youth in your area (went to Aylor for Jr. High, then Sherando for HS). I thought there was already a 24-hr Walmart in the area? I remember having to spend weekend nights there, as the teen center was ridiculously lame (as well as barn parties). I hear they're bringing a Best Buy to Winchester, also.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #37
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Lol Guys, sorry i didn't point out that the walmart isn't coming to Stephens Shitty.

It's actually supposed to go to Atmore, Alabama. They have one 25 miles away in Flomaton.

And Best Buy is coming to Winchester. They also have an HHGREGG that took the place of Circuit City.

Hope that clears things up. God I would hate for Stephens City to get one. Seeing as how Winchester is supposed to get a 3rd Walmart by the end of 2011, that would make 5 walmarts within 15 minutes of our house. (3 in winchester, 1 in Front Royal, 1 in Stephens City if they get one lol).
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #38
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

looks like the type of people that are always there
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #39
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Lol Guys, sorry i didn't point out that the walmart isn't coming to Stephens Shitty.

It's actually supposed to go to Atmore, Alabama. They have one 25 miles away in Flomaton.

And Best Buy is coming to Winchester. They also have an HHGREGG that took the place of Circuit City.

Hope that clears things up. God I would hate for Stephens City to get one. Seeing as how Winchester is supposed to get a 3rd Walmart by the end of 2011, that would make 5 walmarts within 15 minutes of our house. (3 in winchester, 1 in Front Royal, 1 in Stephens City if they get one lol).
I thought it was strange for Stephens City to get one as that town isn't very big. Thought maybe it had to do with it being right off 81 or something.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #40
djnemo65
Playmaker

After spending the last four years living in a Wal-Mart-less country, in which you have to go to like five stores just to do normal shopping, I have come to appreciate Wal-Mart a lot more than I used to.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #41
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Cpayne -- Just to clarify, you'd be fine if Wal-Mart bought the E-Cow (plus some, but in that area) lot and put up a Wal-Mart?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #42
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

The intangible effect Walmart has is the one that really bothers me.

Cities and towns lose their culture and feel when a corporate store takes over the local market. The small mom and pop places go out of business, taking away years of tradition from the place.

Its sad IMO to lose that. I love mom and pop places, so for that reason I really dont like Walmart. Thats why I dont feel bad spending the extra buck going to independently owned stores.

I dont buy the whole jobs argument though. Financially speaking they have the right to do whatever they want. Plus their services are convenient for all. As long as there isnt some sort of hike in Walmart prices after small businesses are run out of town. Predatory pricing is effed up.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #43
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
The intangible effect Walmart has is the one that really bothers me.

Cities and towns lose their culture and feel when a corporate store takes over the local market. The small mom and pop places go out of business, taking away years of tradition from the place.

Its sad IMO to lose that. I love mom and pop places, so for that reason I really dont like Walmart. Thats why I dont feel bad spending the extra buck going to independently owned stores.

I dont buy the whole jobs argument though. Financially speaking they have the right to do whatever they want. Plus their services are convenient for all. As long as there isnt some sort of hike in Walmart prices after small businesses are run out of town. Predatory pricing is effed up.
Great post. I feel the exact same way. I hate Walmart on so many levels.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #44
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Cpayne -- Just to clarify, you'd be fine if Wal-Mart bought the E-Cow (plus some, but in that area) lot and put up a Wal-Mart?
Sure, why not? It's not my land, so I have no say in it.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #45
Schneed10
A Dude

You guys are too emotional to cut it in the business world. Fearing change. Getting attached to communities, cultures, mom & pop stores, blah blah blah.

It's business. A lower price fills a big consumer need. Walmart does things a lot more efficiently. That simple.

They can treat their employees like dirt because their employees are cashiers, stockroom workers and greeters, they're easily replaced. You don't exactly need a Harvard degree to get a job at Wal-Mart. They give people jobs, they give people lower prices, and they don't focus on service.

Who the hell needs good customer service when shopping for a T-shirt or a frozen pizza, anyway?