Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

DirecTV vs. cable

Parking Lot

Old 02-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #31
saden1
MVP

Re: DirecTV vs. cable

I have two, maybe Uncle Sam will give me monies to buy more TVs in this porkulus package :p The PC in my bedroom has a 30" Dell monitor and a TV tuner card and I have 50" Panasonic Plasma in the living room.

Soon as Verizon FIOS is available Comcast is getting tossed on the streets. It's a little personal and a little business. Around here Comcast has plenty of HD channels, the quality of picture is pretty good, and their DVR is second to none but they've rubbed me the wrong way too many times and there are consequences [to] poking your customers.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 02-09-2009 at 03:36 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #32
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I have two, maybe Uncle Sam will give me monies to buy more TVs in this porkulus package :p The PC in my bedroom has a 30" Dell monitor and a TV tuner card and I have 50" Panasonic Plasma in the living room.

Soon as Verizon FIOS is available Comcast is getting tossed on the streets. It's a little personal and a little business. Around here Comcast has plenty of HD channels, the quality of picture is pretty good, and their DVR is second to none but they've rubbed me the wrong way too many times and there are consequences poking your customers.
Getting rubbed the wrog way is still better than not getting rubbed at all.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #33
Miller101
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
How is the goverment providing funding for converter boxes creating new jobs? With or without their funding people still will needed the converter boxes.
The converter boxes have to be installed right? There you go! Heck! If it pays good I just might have switch jobs and............install converter boxes for a living! That job would be fun!
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #34
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post
The converter boxes have to be installed right? There you go! Heck! If it pays good I just might have switch jobs and............install converter boxes for a living! That job would be fun!

It would be fun until you had to walk into another persons house. I can just imangine the stories Comcast guys have.

When in HS I worked construction, we were putting an addition onto this house. Every morning this three bill lady boiled up a dozen eggs and proceded to eat them while watching us work, oh did I mention she dipped them in mayo as she went along. By 11 am I could smell her farts from out side the house. GROSS!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #35
over the mountain
Playmaker

i have bunny ears hooked up to my 60 inch HD tv . . . on top of that, when i went to go get my converter box i was told the gov't ran out of money to reimburse us for some of the cost like they said they would. . . thanks for not putting enough money away for this project or thanks for putting enough money away only to divert it to other gov't spending.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #36
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i have bunny ears hooked up to my 60 inch HD tv . . . on top of that, when i went to go get my converter box i was told the gov't ran out of money to reimburse us for some of the cost like they said they would. . . thanks for not putting enough money away for this project or thanks for putting enough money away only to divert it to other gov't spending.

Why in the world do you have bunny ears connected to a HDTV...on second thought how in the hell do you have them connected?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #37
over the mountain
Playmaker

1) because i live paycheck to paycheck 2) i have an amplified bunny ears with tin foil on top that runs your average coaxil cable right into the back of your tv just like a cable box (which is actually an upgrade from connecting a cable from my window screen to the tv with no ears at all)

and i did host a SB party, hahahaha but it came out crystal clear b/c the station amped up their analog frequency just for the game so people using bunny ears got a clear image.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #38
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
1) because i live paycheck to paycheck 2) i have an amplified bunny ears with tin foil on top that runs your average coaxil cable right into the back of your tv just like a cable box (which is actually an upgrade from connecting a cable from my window screen to the tv with no ears at all)

and i did host a SB party, hahahaha but it came out crystal clear b/c the station amped up their analog frequency just for the game so people using bunny ears got a clear image.
I forgot about those antennas with the coax adapters. I was still thinking of the double pronged wires that you used to screw to the back of the set.

In no way was I poking fun at your financial situation nor am I now, but I could not help but think to myself "One day, I'm gonna have HD to go with my HDTV".
Old 02-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #39
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
If you have an HDTV, you don't need a converter box. Use HD bunny ears bunny ears.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #40
mredskins
Gamebreaker

If you have a HD TV with a HD converter built in you can pick up HD channels with bunny ears with no problem. Agruable maybe the best HD picture you will see.

It will be displayed as a ##-#. for example my NBC is 11 but over bunny ears my HD NBC is 11-1.

If not for the wife this would be my set up at my house also. MPT (Maryland Public TV) has seriously 4 or 5 HD channels that they brodcast and can easily be picked up by bunny ears.

I figured this out becasue the wonderful world of DircTV didn't allow HD local channels in my area. I now have Comcast.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #41
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
If you have a HD TV with a HD converter built in you can pick up HD channels with bunny ears with no problem. Agruable maybe the best HD picture you will see.

It will be displayed as a ##-#. for example my NBC is 11 but over bunny ears my HD NBC is 11-1.

If not for the wife this would be my set up at my house also. MPT (Maryland Public TV) has seriously 4 or 5 HD channels that they brodcast and can easily be picked up by bunny ears.

I figured this out becasue the wonderful world of DircTV didn't allow HD local channels in my area. I now have Comcast.
Yeah, but all of that goes away this month. There will be no "over the air" Broadcasts.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #42
over the mountain
Playmaker

^^ haha yeah i didnt figure that out (my HDTV has a digital converter built in) till i got home (about an hour before SB kick off) trying frantically to hook up my converter box . . . but not all stations broadcast the digital signal yet, thoo most do so on the weekends.

but most HD channels (11.1 or 13.1 etc) only have audio and no video until the weekends if im lucky. im going to return the converter box and look into those HD bunny ears, thanks cpayne.

go skins!!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #43
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Yeah, but all of that goes away this month. There will be no "over the air" Broadcasts.
Really because isn't the convert box built into the set??? My understanding is that people with non-HD TV with Rabbit ears will now plug the Rabbit Ears into the convert box then the box into the TV, thus they are essential still using the rabbit ears. Most newer HD TV's already have this box built into so all you need are the bunny ears even after it switches over. Correct?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #44
cpayne5
Playmaker

There still will be over-the-air broadcasts, there just will not be any analog over-the-air broadcasts.

You will need a converter box if you receive your television signal from the air AND if you have an older TV without an HD tuner built in. The converter box goes in between your HD rabbit ears and your old non-HD TV. The box converts the digital signal being received by the rabbit ears into an analog signal that your TV can display.

If you have a satellite, cable, etc provider, you do not need a converter box. Those companies will still provide you with an analog signal.

Last edited by cpayne5; 02-10-2009 at 10:14 PM.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #45
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post

So basically this statement is false. OK.