do you speed?

Parking Lot

Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #31
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: do you speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
As you said, it's a flow of traffic thing. It has nothing to do with the law, it has everything to do with what's safe.

When traffic is moving at nearly the same speed, the space differential between cars remains constant and predictable. When you have people going 15 mph above OR below the flow of traffic, you have a dangerous situation.

I don't care who "feels" they can control a car at 85 or 95. It doesn't matter. I feel I can too. What makes it dangerous is the fact that they're going 15 mph faster than everyone else, and when somebody else on the road makes a mistake and merges without looking, all of a sudden that 15 mph speed differential becomes very dangerous. The driver has to react to the mistake, and at 95 must suddenly make some sort of move to avoid.

It's how accidents happen all the *** time.

If me blockading the left lane pisses somebody off, it's on them to keep their cool. If they don't that's not my problem. Besides, I can blockade the left lane for miles if you give me enough cars on my right to do it. Most people get pissed, but eventually succumb to the fact that they're stuck behind me.

And a comparison to NASCAR racing at 200mph is absurd. It's not an issue of whether you can control a car. When everybody's going 200mph there's no problem. But when one car bumps another, does it not take out like 20 cars behind? Why? Because the speed is so great there's so little time to react to the smallest things. The greater the speed, the smaller the margin for error. So chill out on the roads or I'm likely to go Punisher on your ***.
Interesting that someone making a mistake and not looking is not "on them" but someone keeping their cool because you are purposely trying to anger them is.

Fair enough on NASCAR, that was an over the top comparison.

I am calm on the roads. The overall difference in time usually isn't worth the added aggravation to me. But it still is weird that you accept your behavior, which you admit is purposefully to aggravate another driver. I would think that road rage leads to as many fatal accidents if not more then someone cruising at 85, watching his/her surroundings and driving alert. Once you block their way, now they are more focused on your actions, and ways to get around you then the rest of their surroundings.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #32
MTK
\m/

Just curious to the excessive speeders... what's the big hurry?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #33
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Another factor, I'm a stubborn son of a *** on the roads, and I'm flat out not willing to let somebody go 95 if I can help it.

Had a confrontation with one such driver at the Chesapeake House rest stop in Maryland. When he got back on the road he chilled out.

I guess you can call it reverse road rage. I flat out don't tolerate it. I've called the cops on people from my cell, I've blockaded, I've confronted them at rest stops.

I lost a family member to a reckless driver. It touches a nerve.
did you tell the cops to give you a ticket for speeding at 75 when you called them?

I am really sorry about your tragedy, and I am not saying that reckless driving (weaving, swerving, superfast speeds) is right or justified, just that your actions, though I am sure you feel satisfaction, may be creating the specific condition which you are trying to prevent.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #34
redskinjim
Special Teams

had my 350z up to 128 on a open road one night when there was no traffic
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #35
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

yes but never more than 10-12 over. Maybe 15 on certain highways that everyone is going 20 over on.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #36
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
did you tell the cops to give you a ticket for speeding at 75 when you called them?

I am really sorry about your tragedy, and I am not saying that reckless driving (weaving, swerving, superfast speeds) is right or justified, just that your actions, though I am sure you feel satisfaction, may be creating the specific condition which you are trying to prevent.
You're better off being mad and stuck behind me going 75 than happy and going 95.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #37
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinjim View Post
had my 350z up to 128 on a open road one night when there was no traffic
Why?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #38
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Another factor, I'm a stubborn son of a bitch on the roads, and I'm flat out not willing to let somebody go 95 if I can help it.

Had a confrontation with one such driver at the Chesapeake House rest stop in Maryland. When he got back on the road he chilled out.

I guess you can call it reverse road rage. I flat out don't tolerate it. I've called the cops on people from my cell, I've blockaded, I've confronted them at rest stops.

I lost a family member to a reckless driver. It touches a nerve.
Don't you think your vigilante traffic cop behavior can at times be a little dangerous in itself? Blockading people, following them into rest areas to start a confrontation... A bit much IMO. Seems like your focus should be spent on YOUR safe driving rather than worrying about everyone else's.

No offense, but how is blocking the fast lane not immature? I mean, I certainly have issue with those maniacs who weave in out of traffic at 90+mph, but who cares if someone is traveling in a straight line on I-95 going 15mph over in the fast lane? You say you'd block it for miles if you could? Pretty selfish to your own agenda.

I'd be willing to bet if you explained your blockading/rest stop confronting behavior to any cop on the highway, he'd tell you to calm down and worry about yourself. "Chill out or I'm likely to go Punisher on your ass." ??? Pretty arrogant and self-serving. Sounds like you're the one who needs to chill. It's wasted energy to take it personally when someone else decides to exceed the speed limit.

For the record I rarely go more than 10mph over, and if I do, it's brief- just to pass someone or get out of a large pack of cars on the highway. And I can't stand it when people block the left lane.

Last edited by GMScud; 04-11-2009 at 03:33 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #39
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Schneed -- All your driving is doing is contributing to the problem, not alleviating it. Cars now days can handle faster speeds much more reliably. I cruise at 85, yet I consider myself a very responsible driver. I always signal, then change lanes so my intentions are clearly available. I don't tailgate, and when traffic doesn't allow for my normal speed -- I go with the flow, just like most people. That's my decision and I'm willing to risk the consequences. When I find someone like you, typically not paying attention and being inconsiderate of others, is when I end up swerving in and out of traffic to get by the douche.

It's not your place to try to regulate the roads. If speed were as big of an issue as you seem to think it is, states wouldn't be considering upping the speed limits. The current speed limit has one goal -- to make money for the state. Originally, 55 made sense for the conservation of fuel and the vehicles available at that time. No longer, traffic can flow much quicker.

I see you ignored a very valid point by CRedskinsFan.
Quote:
But it still is weird that you accept your behavior, which you admit is purposefully to aggravate another driver. I would think that road rage leads to as many fatal accidents if not more then someone cruising at 85, watching his/her surroundings and driving alert. Once you block their way, now they are more focused on your actions, and ways to get around you then the rest of their surroundings.
Personally, I feel as if getting a license and keeping a license should be much more difficult to obtain. I think special licenses should be required for SUV's, etc (just asking someone who owns an SUV or large truck to park it in a parking space would eliminate half of them). I pride myself on being a careful driver, especially at fast speeds.

One day Schneed, I have a feeling your plan may backfire on you, and I can't say I'll have a ton of sympathy. When you go out of your way to annoy and aggravate others, that may come back. Someone may swerve in front of you and slam on their breaks, etc. You're practically asking like it. Just chill in the right hand lane and be a defensive driver, not offensive.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #40
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

GMScud -- people blocking the left lane is the largest cause of road rage according to multiple insurance company surveys.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #41
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Just chill in the right hand lane and be a defensive driver, not offensive.
Better advice could not be given in this case.

Quote:
GMScud -- people blocking the left lane is the largest cause of road rage according to multiple insurance company surveys.
Doesn't surprise me. It's maddening. I don't rage on people who block the left lane, but it's really annoying. And the bottom line is, if someone is blocking the left lane, it's going to cause more lane changing and speeding, because inevitably other drivers will go around them.

I agree with you that Schneed's vendetta against speeders is counterproductive and likely to backfire at some point. But in his own words, he's "a stubborn SOB," so I doubt anything we say is going to change it.

On a side note, if someone had the nerve follow me into a rest stop to confront me on my driving... well...
Old 04-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #42
hooskins

Blocking a lane is beyond immature. If you care so much you should be a cop and pull people. Just take their plates and report it, no need to freak out. Schneed I consider you a pretty mature and rational guy, didn't expect you to act like that.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #43
hooskins

And there are other issues at hand, such as lax punishments for speeders and those who cause accidents. Also more cameras that give tickets in the mail should be kept, they are proven to deter speeding and reckless driving.

If anything Schneed is causing further congestion, lack of improper traffic flow, etc. I am sorry for your loss, but why don't you use all that energy you have towards a more productive cause? Work for an organization that advocates changes in traffic laws, or an org. that educates people. etc. because this one man personal vendetta doesn't really achieve anything.

A day or two later they will speed again.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #44
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Schneed -- All your driving is doing is contributing to the problem, not alleviating it. Cars now days can handle faster speeds much more reliably. I cruise at 85, yet I consider myself a very responsible driver. I always signal, then change lanes so my intentions are clearly available. I don't tailgate, and when traffic doesn't allow for my normal speed -- I go with the flow, just like most people. That's my decision and I'm willing to risk the consequences. When I find someone like you, typically not paying attention and being inconsiderate of others, is when I end up swerving in and out of traffic to get by the douche.

It's not your place to try to regulate the roads. If speed were as big of an issue as you seem to think it is, states wouldn't be considering upping the speed limits. The current speed limit has one goal -- to make money for the state. Originally, 55 made sense for the conservation of fuel and the vehicles available at that time. No longer, traffic can flow much quicker.

I see you ignored a very valid point by CRedskinsFan.

Personally, I feel as if getting a license and keeping a license should be much more difficult to obtain. I think special licenses should be required for SUV's, etc (just asking someone who owns an SUV or large truck to park it in a parking space would eliminate half of them). I pride myself on being a careful driver, especially at fast speeds.

One day Schneed, I have a feeling your plan may backfire on you, and I can't say I'll have a ton of sympathy. When you go out of your way to annoy and aggravate others, that may come back. Someone may swerve in front of you and slam on their breaks, etc. You're practically asking like it. Just chill in the right hand lane and be a defensive driver, not offensive.
never read a more rational, and mature response on this site. i agree 100%. and by the way, i usually drive around 10 miles over the speed limit. and with me being a 11 year trucker, im pretty defensive. even driving that fast.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #45
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
never read a more rational, and mature response on this site. i agree 100%. and by the way, i usually drive around 10 miles over the speed limit. and with me being a 11 year trucker, im pretty defensive. even driving that fast.
My summer/side job is driving a bread truck around. Great money if someone in the NOVA area wants a job where they'll never see their friends! Anyhow, work starts at about 2am, then in the truck from 3:30ish AM on. I learned to be defensive by avoiding drunks.