do you speed?

Parking Lot

Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: do you speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So you are willing to become a danger to others just to piss someone off? By sitting at 75 (thus breaking the law in most parts around here) you judge yourself safe, while creating a hazard for someone else who, also breaking the law, feels that he/she has the capability to control the car at 85. He/she will then either be force to slow down, or as you said get pissed off and become a more angry/reckless driver.
Not sure I get the line of thought on this one. Cars can be safely controlled at speeds much faster than 75, if they are designed for it- race cars top speeds of 200. People all have different capacities for reflexes and responses: some but not many can control those 200mph cars, some cannot. So why would you feel you have the right to set an arbitrary rate, when you are already breaking the legal rate?

I speed, but mainly go with the flow of traffic. Some days I actually drive the speed limit, very rarely do I push my Honda Civic above 75, however if I had a different car that had a higher limit, I might find the gas pedal going down more frequently.
As you said, it's a flow of traffic thing. It has nothing to do with the law, it has everything to do with what's safe.

When traffic is moving at nearly the same speed, the space differential between cars remains constant and predictable. When you have people going 15 mph above OR below the flow of traffic, you have a dangerous situation.

I don't care who "feels" they can control a car at 85 or 95. It doesn't matter. I feel I can too. What makes it dangerous is the fact that they're going 15 mph faster than everyone else, and when somebody else on the road makes a mistake and merges without looking, all of a sudden that 15 mph speed differential becomes very dangerous. The driver has to react to the mistake, and at 95 must suddenly make some sort of move to avoid.

It's how accidents happen all the damn time.

If me blockading the left lane pisses somebody off, it's on them to keep their cool. If they don't that's not my problem. Besides, I can blockade the left lane for miles if you give me enough cars on my right to do it. Most people get pissed, but eventually succumb to the fact that they're stuck behind me.

And a comparison to NASCAR racing at 200mph is absurd. It's not an issue of whether you can control a car. When everybody's going 200mph there's no problem. But when one car bumps another, does it not take out like 20 cars behind? Why? Because the speed is so great there's so little time to react to the smallest things. The greater the speed, the smaller the margin for error. So chill out on the roads or I'm likely to go Punisher on your ass.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
As you said, it's a flow of traffic thing. It has nothing to do with the law, it has everything to do with what's safe.

When traffic is moving at nearly the same speed, the space differential between cars remains constant and predictable. When you have people going 15 mph above OR below the flow of traffic, you have a dangerous situation.

I don't care who "feels" they can control a car at 85 or 95. It doesn't matter. I feel I can too. What makes it dangerous is the fact that they're going 15 mph faster than everyone else, and when somebody else on the road makes a mistake and merges without looking, all of a sudden that 15 mph speed differential becomes very dangerous. The driver has to react to the mistake, and at 95 must suddenly make some sort of move to avoid.

It's how accidents happen all the *** time.

If me blockading the left lane pisses somebody off, it's on them to keep their cool. If they don't that's not my problem. Besides, I can blockade the left lane for miles if you give me enough cars on my right to do it. Most people get pissed, but eventually succumb to the fact that they're stuck behind me.

And a comparison to NASCAR racing at 200mph is absurd. It's not an issue of whether you can control a car. When everybody's going 200mph there's no problem. But when one car bumps another, does it not take out like 20 cars behind? Why? Because the speed is so great there's so little time to react to the smallest things. The greater the speed, the smaller the margin for error. So chill out on the roads or I'm likely to go Punisher on your ***.
Interesting that someone making a mistake and not looking is not "on them" but someone keeping their cool because you are purposely trying to anger them is.

Fair enough on NASCAR, that was an over the top comparison.

I am calm on the roads. The overall difference in time usually isn't worth the added aggravation to me. But it still is weird that you accept your behavior, which you admit is purposefully to aggravate another driver. I would think that road rage leads to as many fatal accidents if not more then someone cruising at 85, watching his/her surroundings and driving alert. Once you block their way, now they are more focused on your actions, and ways to get around you then the rest of their surroundings.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:

You're assuming that everybody is going the speed limit. We're talking about how high over the limit you go, not how much faster than the flow of traffic. I know that in a lot of NoVA if you're not at least 10 over you risk being rear-ended.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Sometimes I sit in the left lane at 75 to purposely block people from going by at 85+.

You shouldn't be going that fast and I'm willing to piss you off to make it happen.
Why am I not surprised?

Asshole on the internet, asshole driving, both times shielded heh
Old 04-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Why am I not surprised?

Asshole on the internet, asshole driving, both times shielded heh
And I see you're a moron in this thread too.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #6
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
And I see you're a moron in this thread too.
No more than you allow me to be

Mad you have a lil competition in the trolling department I see.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

Another factor, I'm a stubborn son of a bitch on the roads, and I'm flat out not willing to let somebody go 95 if I can help it.

Had a confrontation with one such driver at the Chesapeake House rest stop in Maryland. When he got back on the road he chilled out.

I guess you can call it reverse road rage. I flat out don't tolerate it. I've called the cops on people from my cell, I've blockaded, I've confronted them at rest stops.

I lost a family member to a reckless driver. It touches a nerve.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Another factor, I'm a stubborn son of a *** on the roads, and I'm flat out not willing to let somebody go 95 if I can help it.

Had a confrontation with one such driver at the Chesapeake House rest stop in Maryland. When he got back on the road he chilled out.

I guess you can call it reverse road rage. I flat out don't tolerate it. I've called the cops on people from my cell, I've blockaded, I've confronted them at rest stops.

did you tell the cops to give you a ticket for speeding at 75 when you called them?

I am really sorry about your tragedy, and I am not saying that reckless driving (weaving, swerving, superfast speeds) is right or justified, just that your actions, though I am sure you feel satisfaction, may be creating the specific condition which you are trying to prevent.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
did you tell the cops to give you a ticket for speeding at 75 when you called them?

I am really sorry about your tragedy, and I am not saying that reckless driving (weaving, swerving, superfast speeds) is right or justified, just that your actions, though I am sure you feel satisfaction, may be creating the specific condition which you are trying to prevent.
You're better off being mad and stuck behind me going 75 than happy and going 95.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Another factor, I'm a stubborn son of a bitch on the roads, and I'm flat out not willing to let somebody go 95 if I can help it.

Don't you think your vigilante traffic cop behavior can at times be a little dangerous in itself? Blockading people, following them into rest areas to start a confrontation... A bit much IMO. Seems like your focus should be spent on YOUR safe driving rather than worrying about everyone else's.

No offense, but how is blocking the fast lane not immature? I mean, I certainly have issue with those maniacs who weave in out of traffic at 90+mph, but who cares if someone is traveling in a straight line on I-95 going 15mph over in the fast lane? You say you'd block it for miles if you could? Pretty selfish to your own agenda.

I'd be willing to bet if you explained your blockading/rest stop confronting behavior to any cop on the highway, he'd tell you to calm down and worry about yourself. "Chill out or I'm likely to go Punisher on your ass." ??? Pretty arrogant and self-serving. Sounds like you're the one who needs to chill. It's wasted energy to take it personally when someone else decides to exceed the speed limit.

For the record I rarely go more than 10mph over, and if I do, it's brief- just to pass someone or get out of a large pack of cars on the highway. And I can't stand it when people block the left lane.

Last edited by GMScud; 04-11-2009 at 03:33 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:

You sound EXACTLY like me on the road. I CANNOT stand assholes who feel like they have this sense of entitlement and go all nuts because you're passing someone going 65 at 75 and THEY want to drive 85-90. Who the F do you think you are?

I routinely call the police on jackasses tailgating and weaving in and out. Sometimes I get lucky enough to beep the horn at them when they're pulled over down the road.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
You sound EXACTLY like me on the road. I CANNOT stand assholes who feel like they have this sense of entitlement and go all nuts because you're passing someone going 65 at 75 and THEY want to drive 85-90. Who the F do you think you are?

I routinely call the police on jackasses tailgating and weaving in and out. Sometimes I get lucky enough to beep the horn at them when they're pulled over down the road.
What if it was someone with a legit emergency that was flashing their lights? Granted 99% of the time it's just probably some a-hole, but what if it's that one time where someone has a legit reason?

To me it's just easy to move over and let them go. Sooner or later they're going to get theirs.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
What if it was someone with a legit emergency that was flashing their lights? Granted 99% of the time it's just probably some a-hole, but what if it's that one time where someone has a legit reason?

To me it's just easy to move over and let them go. Sooner or later they're going to get theirs.
This is a generalized post not entirely directed in response to Matty's post above:

- To Matty's point. If you have an emergency, call friggin 911! What the hell are you doing trying to drive somewhere yourself? That's why they have sirens and flashing lights.

- Just because it's an "emergency" and you're driving, doesn't make excessive speeding any less illegal.

- Glad to hear there is at least one other person on this site who's willing to stand up for safe driving. TMC makes great points. The most significant of which is basically: if you're speeding excessively or driving aggressively, you have no right to criticize the legality of blocking the left lane. If you can break the law by speeding, you can't get mad at me for blocking the left lane. How is one more legal, or justifiable, than the other?

- I see that my abrasive personality, combined with my combative stance against speeders, has pissed off more than one person on this site. I say good. I love you for being a Redskins fan, but slow down. Instead of getting caught up in battling me because I'm an asshole, I ask you to address the purpose of this thread and give me one, ONE rational reason why you need to go 95 mph on the road?

If you're going 85 I really don't care all that much. But if you're going 95, bring it, start actually debating this. Why do you need to go that fast?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Quote:

- To Matty's point. If you have an emergency, call friggin 911! What the hell are you doing trying to drive somewhere yourself? That's why they have sirens and flashing lights.
What would you have suggested I do in my situation? I was in a differnet state. I raced home to be beside my child in her time of need. As I said before, i don't speed, but I think I had a legit reason that day.

I wonder if your child was having a medical emergency if you would feel the same way.

"abrassive personality" , Thats putting it mildly.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
This is a generalized post not entirely directed in response to Matty's post above:

- Just because it's an "emergency" and you're driving, doesn't make excessive speeding any less illegal.

- Glad to hear there is at least one other person on this site who's willing to stand up for safe driving. TMC makes great points. The most significant of which is basically: if you're speeding excessively or driving aggressively, you have no right to criticize the legality of blocking the left lane. If you can break the law by speeding, you can't get mad at me for blocking the left lane. How is one more legal, or justifiable, than the other?

- I see that my abrasive personality, combined with my combative stance against speeders, has pissed off more than one person on this site. I say good. I love you for being a Redskins fan, but slow down. Instead of getting caught up in battling me because I'm an asshole, I ask you to address the purpose of this thread and give me one, ONE rational reason why you need to go 95 mph on the road?

If you're going 85 I really don't care all that much. But if you're going 95, bring it, start actually debating this. Why do you need to go that fast?
Has anyone here said they regularly travel 95mph and defended as much?

Speeding is not more legal or justifiable than becoming a highway vigilante like yourself. So I guess we're all just hypocrites then.