Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #31
saden1
MVP

Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Archie is letting the colts know now that Peyton doesn't want Luck in INDY so make your decision soon

Archie is speaking for Payton? Given that Indy can't win a single game and is so handicapped at the QB position I doubt the Colts' management gives a fck what Archie and Payton really think. This decision is all about what is best for the Colts.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #32
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Archie is speaking for Payton? Given that Indy can't win a single game and is so handicapped at the QB position I doubt the Colts' management gives a fck what Archie and Payton really think. This decision is all about what is best for the Colts.

I Agree but a guy like Peyton Manning has more pull than you think in Indy
Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #33
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I do have experience with athletes and a degree in sports management plus 40 years of fandom as well, thanks for asking, but that's not the full basis of my point.

My point is that athletes want to play, succeed and win. They don't want to be 'along for the ride' on a winning team, they want to contribute. That's what separates the pros from the joes and the good from the great, the desire to be the best. I'm not saying that guys come out WANTING to play for losing teams per se but they would rather play immediately for a loser and try to turn them around than sit for a winner and not contribute anything.
First, I was really asking about your experience to see if you had a different, and better, perspective than me and, if so, I would be more willing to accept your conclusions. If it came across differently, it was not meant to be so.

Secondly, and more to the point, I don't really disagree with your assertion that these guys come out wanting to play and are hard wired that way. At the same time, it has been my observation that some are mature enough to put their long term interests over their short term interests without losing that competitive burn. Sure he may be chomping at the bit to play, but maybe, just maybe, Luck sees the long term benefit of playing behind Manning for a year or two as opposed to coming into a poor situation where he is condemned to losing, possibly for the long term.

Really, I agree with your premise - these guys come out wanting, burning even, to play. AND, if we were talking about playing behind Grossman for a year or two, I would not expect Luck to be peachy with that. I am suggesting, however, that a Manning/Luck QB situation would be something special in and of itself and comparable to Montana/Young. Maybe Luck recognizes that and says - "Okay, I can deal with being behind Manning. I don't particularly like it, but I can deal with it." As I said, Rivers came in behind Brees and was a team player while still, clearly, burning to play.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #34
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How about...the Saints fail to sign Drew Brees this off-season...and Peyton Manning goes to New Orleans
And we sign Brees and draft Barkely. Winner!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #35
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I Agree but a guy like Peyton Manning has more pull than you think in Indy
Really? I doubt it.

Sure they would like to keep him happy, but, ultimately, he's on his last legs and Polian's gonna do what Polian needs to do. If it's a bitter divorce between an older Hall of Fame Player and franchise moving forward, it won't be the first nor the last (e.g. Marino, Bradshaw, Montana, Unitas, etc. ... In the future, I sincerely doubt Brady goes quietly into the night even after it is clear to everyone else his time is done).
Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #36
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
I'm sure there will be some of that but for a QB starved market, I think that will subside rather quickly if he's successful. I mean today, how many of us when we think of Eli automatically go to his draft day? For Giants fans I'd think they love the trade, they won a Super Bowl and the Chargers haven't plus despite giving up what they did they are still perennially competitive. The Eli criticisms go much deeper than his pre-draft antics.
Um, I do. Thats why I don't like him. Atleast a major reason. The other reason is I just don't think he's all that good. I'll catch flack I know but .... to me he's another Elway, he's only as good as his supporting cast. This year is prime example.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
And we sign Brees and draft Barkely. Winner!!!
So you're saying I'd have to look at that mole/scar for the next three years and adopt the use of the word "dat". That's a deal breaker for me.

Let those smelly Creoles keep him...
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #38
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Archie is already pulling the power play. Peyton is talking directly to the media through his father letting his opinion known, he doesnt want Luck here.
The bigger question is ...

When will Daddy allow his kids to grow up and be men for themselves? Archie needs to STFU and stay out of the way. Unless I'm completely wrong and Daddy is their manager?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #39
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post

When will Daddy allow his kids to grow up and be men for themselves? Archie needs to STFU and stay out of the way. Unless I'm completely wrong and Daddy is their manager?
This is a very McNabb-esque move, isn't it?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #40
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
This is a very McNabb-esque move, isn't it?
McNabbs was worse... he had Mommy complaining. lol.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #41
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
McNabbs was worse... he had Mommy complaining. lol.
When McNabb's Mom threatens a lifetime campbell's soup ban, you listen.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Hey, It worked before...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #43
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
First, I was really asking about your experience to see if you had a different, and better, perspective than me and, if so, I would be more willing to accept your conclusions. If it came across differently, it was not meant to be so.

Secondly, and more to the point, I don't really disagree with your assertion that these guys come out wanting to play and are hard wired that way. At the same time, it has been my observation that some are mature enough to put their long term interests over their short term interests without losing that competitive burn. Sure he may be chomping at the bit to play, but maybe, just maybe, Luck sees the long term benefit of playing behind Manning for a year or two as opposed to coming into a poor situation where he is condemned to losing, possibly for the long term.

Really, I agree with your premise - these guys come out wanting, burning even, to play. AND, if we were talking about playing behind Grossman for a year or two, I would not expect Luck to be peachy with that. I am suggesting, however, that a Manning/Luck QB situation would be something special in and of itself and comparable to Montana/Young. Maybe Luck recognizes that and says - "Okay, I can deal with being behind Manning. I don't particularly like it, but I can deal with it." As I said, Rivers came in behind Brees and was a team player while still, clearly, burning to play.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to be a dick but was just answering the questions since you asked.

I don't think Luck would be a malcontent or a problem if he were to it behind Manning but the situation would be extremely awkward. Manning is much like Favre apparently, wanting to dominate all practice reps, not serve as a true 'mentor' to his backups, really 100% focused on the team and his performance. As a #1 overall pick, I'd think that's a bad situation to be walking into, especially when I'm 'game ready' to most scouts and coaches.

Since you referenced Montana/Young, both of them acknowledge how difficult that was for both of them to deal with and how unhappy they both were. Back to the premise of the original post, if you are Oliver Luck, is that what you want for your kid or do you want him to go somewhere to create his own legacy?

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #44
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How about...the Saints fail to sign Drew Brees this off-season...and Peyton Manning goes to New Orleans
Would the Saints really let the actual mayor of New Orleans get away? Brees is just one small notch below Jesus down here.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #45
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't trying to be a dick but was just answering the questions since you asked.

I don't think Luck would be a malcontent or a problem if he were to it behind Manning but the situation would be extremely awkward. Manning is much like Favre apparently, wanting to dominate all practice reps, not serve as a true 'mentor' to his backups, really 100% focused on the team and his performance. As a #1 overall pick, I'd think that's a bad situation to be walking into, especially when I'm 'game ready' to most scouts and coaches.

Since you referenced Montana/Young, both of them acknowledge how difficult that was for both of them to deal with and how unhappy they both were. Back to the premise of the original post, if you are Oliver Luck, is that what you want for your kid or do you want him to go somewhere to create his own legacy?
He will create his own legacy wherever he goes - Is Rogers success tied to Farve's? Was Young's tied to Monatana? Is Manning's somehow tied to Unitas' just b/c they played for the Colts? No. Each is seen as a success in their own right.

If your asking me what I would want and do if Luck were my son, I would want him in a place that would let him succeed for the long term and I think Indi is such a place. I would counsel him to go to Indi, tough it out for a couple years, learn what he could and be ready to start at any moment. As saden1 said, Manning is one tackle away from retirement.

I would also suggest he buy me a new car, a new house, and all the cool new tech gadgets my heart desires.