Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins vs. Bengals Post Game Reaction

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
GusFrerotte

Re: Redskins vs. Bengals Post Game Reaction

8-8 at best now. Offense is very nice, defense sucks ass. I think Andy Dalton is a bona fide NFL starter and a pretty good one, but we made him look almost like an All Pro out there. Secondary should have been at least a #2 priority in the offseason at thevery least, and it better be a big #1 next offseason. Yeah the pick 6 was very nice, but still. We have no bona fide starters(including Hall) and no depth. Our #1 pick needs to be the best secondary man available whether it is a CB or S is irrelevant. Our offense is awesome finally, and now their efforts are going to be wasted on a rather porous secondary. Robert is better than Newton or Vick, and we have given him some nice tools to work with. We need Garcon back at 100% to at least open things up more for Hankerson and co. I am still upbeat about the way things are going, but man we need a decent secondary to get to the next level in the W column.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #32
Bucket
Playmaker

I love how D. Hall is the scape goat for people today. He was in tight coverage a lot with the best WR in the league. He shouldn't of been on lone islands with him, but it is what it is..

Defense has given up to many points. Jackson played well and I was impressed besides the few reverses he bit on.

RG3 Was good again for his 3rd game in.. If our defense could only stop teams half the time..
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #33
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Defense blows.

Losing Trent was huge, hope its nothing too serious.

Refs blows.

RG3 continues to amaze.

Defense blows.

Defense is as bad as it's ever been
Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #34
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
If we went for it and didn't get it you would still be complaining. He was playing the field position there.
No i wouldnt. It was a difference of twenty twenty five yards on the punt and the entire stadium knew it. I was yelling nooooo when the punt team came out. If u think for one second i have more faith in this defense stopping anyone you are wrong. I do have faith that rg3 could have gained two feet. I absolutely would not have ever complained about going for it in a million years.
punch it in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well we tried to get Eric Winston and that didn't work out. Not really sure why Black didn't play RT and they didn't slide Polumbus to LT (not that Polumbus did much at RT), considering they had Black practicing at RT all summer

As for the 4th down I would have gone for it, but in fairness to the decision the Bengals O did nearly nothing in the 2nd half up until that point.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #36
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Last year they were 13th though. Our defense has always been up and down, but this is basically the same defense from last year.
Who cares what the rank was. How many games did we win last year? This team wasn't a good one last year and the defense was part of that.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
MTK
\m/

Quote:
If we went for it and didn't get it you would still be complaining. He was playing the field position there.
This.

I didn't have a problem with it.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #38
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I'm gonna go bullet style points here. I'm not too upset with this loss, I think a lot of us got caught up the hype of RG3 and we need to take a step back and realize that everything he's going through right now is a learning experience. Winning games would be nice right now, but no matter how bad the defense is this year, if RG3 shows progress as a quarterback I think most of us would be ok with that. But then again I wasn't the one thinking playoffs after we traded for the right to pick him.

Quick points:

- Secondary is horrible, but we already knew this, so I think this is something we're probably going to have to live with for the rest of the season.

- First play of the game set the tone. We got dominated the first half save for one timely pick by Rob Jackson who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

- We need to get creative on defense because if we can't pressure the qb it will be an extremely long year on defense.

- Hopefully this is the first of many games where we don't have blocked punts/field goals on special teams.

- If you are going to be on the onside kick-recovering team, you really need to be aware of body position before you touch the ball. Not that we're going to see this too often but it's something we need to be prepared for.

- I hope that this option stuff is just something we're doing to continue to ease RG3's transition, and that hopefully we'll shed it except for rare occasions when RG3 becomes a competent qb, which based on what I've seen so far, shouldn't be a 3 year deal.

- Still impressed with the things RG3 is able to do on a football field, every game I'm reminded of the things a guy like him can get away with. As much as I hate to say it, I'm not a huge fan of designed runs that expose him to big hits. They definitely help because it forces defenses to respect the dual threat, but I'm ok with only using it enough to keep the defense honest.

- Sorry Jordan Black you are the weakest link. Same goes for Polumbus. Still not upset at the time for what they went with though, because I'm sure that 18 million cap penalty blindsided us and forced us to adjust our approach to FA. Not much you can do when you don't have the salary cap room to help your team get better.

- Not even going to get mad with the replacement refs, this loss is most definitely on us, same as last week. I don't like the calls but we should expect to deal with it for the immediate future, and hopefully our players aren't trying to rely on refs to make the calls because we've got no idea what will be called and what won't be called. As far as game impact goes, I think the refs are negatively impacting both sides.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #39
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Defense is as bad as it's ever been
Real question is, what does it take for the secondary to get better during the season? Or are they going to even get better? Cuz I see this secondary getting worked for the next 13 games.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #40
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
I love how D. Hall is the scape goat for people today. He was in tight coverage a lot with the best WR in the league. He shouldn't of been on lone islands with him, but it is what it is..

Defense has given up to many points. Jackson played well and I was impressed besides the few reverses he bit on.

RG3 Was good again for his 3rd game in.. If our defense could only stop teams half the time..
No NFL Receiver should ever gain 183 yards in a single game. I don't care if it's Jerry Rice in his prime or if it's single coverage on an island. 183 yards is unacceptable. This isn't college ball.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #41
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post

it isn't D Hall it is the secondary as a whole. We need guys that can play with the best on just about every Sunday. Our depth is rather lacking as well.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #42
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Who cares what the rank was. How many games did we win last year? This team wasn't a good one last year and the defense was part of that.
Rank is important because the defense WASN'T bad last year. Don't be obtuse.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #43
takethecake
Special Teams

Secondary is terrible. Defensive coaching is bad. Offense is good with the exception of our offensive line, which is absolutely atrocious. Their defensive ends were consistently able to generate pressure against our tackles. Fortunately we were able to mitigate that threat a bit by getting RG3 out of the pocket, but if grossman had been back there we would have been lucky to score 20 points.

I told my buddy before the game that we'd have to double AJ green the whole game to have any chance. What does Haslett do? Play single man coverage with Hall against Green and stand off him 10 yards. Sure I understand you don't want to get beat deep, but THAT'S WHY YOU DOUBLE HIM! And people are surprised when he gets ~200 yards... WHO ELSE ON THE BENGALS IS A THREAT!?
takethecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #44
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
This.

I didn't have a problem with it.
We had more momentum as a team and crowd at that point than we did all day long. There was no way we were not making two feet there. And again the punt netted us thirteen yards of field position. Its not like we were at our own forty.
punch it in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #45
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

My impressions of the game:

1. The read option has got to go bye-bye. I don't even care that running it helped us get back in the game today because it is going to get RGIII hurt.

2. This Redskins secondary may be the worst one I've seen since before the George Allen era.

3. We have big problems protecting the passer.

4. The players are playing very hard. I give them credit for their great effort.

5. We just don't have enough good players.