Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #31
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

re: Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
cerrato could arrange something, i'm sure he still knows a couple guys in south bend that would arrange somthing for him
But it'd be illegal.

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #32
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonandblack30 View Post
was thinking the exact same thing.

The fact that Snyder is "scouting" is humiliating. Seriously WTF is he using to evaluate talent? coaching background? playing background?

Completely embarassing.
i hear he has won three fantasy football championships in the past decade

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #33
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
But it'd be illegal.
that is would be, so would talking to albert hanyesworth before he was officially released...

ST21
Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #34
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
A few things here:

I wouldn't just assume that Cerrato is staying because he went to scout some players. I mean he is the current EVP of Football (or whatever his title is) so it's only natural that he would continue to do his job until told otherwise.

The article doesn't mention all the other scouting that has been done across the country with other schools and players (such as John Skelton )

Not sure what they mean by in-person evaluation of Clausen. There really isn't much the Redskins could do before this week once Clausen declared.

I'm a bit surprised they wouldn't even try to tender Campbell and see what they can get out of him. But other people have also said that's not their intention
Wouldn't this be like buying draft picks? If DS is willing to spend 40MIL on Phat Al, why not a tender for some draft picks?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #35
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Too many assumptions are being made here. First of all, who knows that they mean by "scouting" Secondly, it could be that the scouts have been going to a few games, submitted their report to Campbell and Cerrato and now Cerrato is going himself. Just because Snyder is going doesn't mean anything. For one thing, other guys Snyder has reportedly "scouted" in the past never came close to being Redskins.

I don't know, I mean I know we want to make a big deal out of it. But I really don't think we should be
Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #36
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Jason Campbell...

No wonder the Redskins are lost when they can't play power football.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #37
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Too many assumptions are being made here. First of all, who knows that they mean by "scouting" Secondly, it could be that the scouts have been going to a few games, submitted their report to Campbell and Cerrato and now Cerrato is going himself. Just because Snyder is going doesn't mean anything. For one thing, other guys Snyder has reportedly "scouted" in the past never came close to being Redskins.

I don't know, I mean I know we want to make a big deal out of it. But I really don't think we should be
Well........I can tell you that if I owned the team, AND we were winding up MY Redskin One for a scouting road trip. I DAMN sure would be going. It would be great!! Dan's just out for a good road trip?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #38
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Guys please stop buying tickets to the game and buying Redskins merchandise and tell other fans to stop as well... as long as you do, you are giving this guy the power to run this proud franchise into the ground
Solid advice is rarely heeded
Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #39
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Personally, I am ecstatic that they are looking for a QB first. This is a quarterback driven league and until you have one you cant win.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #40
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Even if we draft a QB, we still may need a serviceable QB until the rookie matures -- unless they're giving up on next season as well. So keeping JC on a one or two year deal may work well.

Question is whether JC will agree, and whether other teams will want him. My bet is someone else will want him if he continues to impress like the last couple of games.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #41
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Well until the season ends and something changes it's business as usual at the Park. I wouldn't read too far into it.
Snyder just doesn't get it. Why would any respectable new GM take scouting notes/advice from these two inept morons.

Waiting until the offseason to hire a new GM is too late.
It will give very little time to hire a scouting staff and be properly prepared for the draft.
Snyder has no intentions hiring a new GM. Vinny and Dan are it..they are here to stay. Snyder is determined and will wait as long as it takes (years) to allow himself and Vinny every chance to right the ship. He can not be wrong on this one and replacing Vinny and himself as the FO deciders (W. Bush speak) would be admission of failure. So it will never happen.
They will hire a GM/FO consultant to help them and will hope that pacifies the angry fans.
This is big EGO Dan Snyder we are talking about...he will not give up the FO.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #42
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Wouldn't this be like buying draft picks? If DS is willing to spend 40MIL on Phat Al, why not a tender for some draft picks?
Tramp, I hope the FO sees it this way.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #43
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I don't think it's all that uncommon for owners to go along on a scouting trip, for the bigger college names at least.
really? besides Jerry Jones I wouldnt think so
Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #44
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
really? besides Jerry Jones I wouldnt think so
i think matty's right, but most owners who do that don't have a puppet for a gm

ST21
Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #45
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Snyder just doesn't get it. Why would any respectable new GM take scouting notes/advice from these two inept morons.

Waiting until the offseason to hire a new GM is too late.
It will give very little time to hire a scouting staff and be properly prepared for the draft.
Snyder has no intentions hiring a new GM. Vinny and Dan are it..they are here to stay. Snyder is determined and will wait as long as it takes (years) to allow himself and Vinny every chance to right the ship. He can not be wrong on this one and replacing Vinny and himself as the FO deciders (W. Bush speak) would be admission of failure. So it will never happen.
They will hire a GM/FO consultant to help them and will hope that pacifies the angry fans.
This is big EGO Dan Snyder we are talking about...he will not give up the FO.
I think you are 100% right here. Everything we're seeing up to this point indicates Snyder will maintain the status quo and keep Vinny on as the toady with Snyder providing significant input. I think right now it's about 50/50 whether Snyder gets much more involved in the GM role, especially personnel and roster decisions, or brings in another toady type to feign the decision by committee approach. Don't get me wrong I expect the results to be almost identical either way.

When your de facto GM essentially blew the season because he largely ignored the team's biggest weakness (OL), and you expect to bring in a new coach and see player turnover, it makes no sense to keep said GM in his position unless you want him there going forward. It doesn't mean you'll hire a new GM mid-season, although if there's a great candidate available and the relationship works why not make the hire. But the point is why keep the guy who purportedly created the shit-show to keep scouting or whatever else if ultimately those decisions will rest w/ the new chief?

Put it another way...does anyone here think an incoming GM could give two shits what/who Vinny scouted? I mean, yes wouldn't an honest answer here. Vinny would struggle mightily to find gainful employment w/ any other franchise in football. He has few contacts, almost no personal skills, very little respect around the league and sounds like a lobotomy patient every time he opens his mouth. You don't keep a guy like this around and expect to be taken serious by the true professionals. Snyder has no intention of legitimizing the FO or his franchise.

^^^^^^^^More than anything else I would like to be dead wrong here.