Holmgren Agrees to Take Over Browns

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #31
Longtimefan
Playmaker

re: Holmgren Agrees to Take Over Browns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I understand, but on the other side of the coin if Snyder keeps Zorn that would be a redeeming quality and in Holmgren's eyes he would have made the right choice which would open the opportunity for him as GM. I think he learned something from Walsh on player personnel. Here's a Holmgren GM timeline.

TIMELINE: HOLMGREN AS GM (1999-2002)
Excellent....So it goes without saying that if Holmgren would be in, Cerrato would be out. It just get's harder and harder for me to come to grips with the face that Snyder will actually fire Cerrato. I will only believe that if/when I see it.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #32
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Interesting tidbits. It will be interesting to see where Holmgren can work. He's had the benefit of being in charge under Paul Allen, the most hands-off owner in the league. And nothing against Seattle. But I would suspect that the fans are a bit more forgiving there than in Cleveland or DC

As to Zorn, Campbell, and Cerrato. I think Zorn is gone. Campbell is probably 30% likely to stay (but it's still possible), and Cerrato is probably about 70% (but he won't be the GM...allegedy)

No source is 100% right.
Based on your intel, could you answer the following: Is Cerrato going to be:
A) Promoted (Team President or something like that)
B) Demoted (Director of College Scouting or something like that)
C) Transfered (Senior Executive Vice President of Media Operations or something like that)
D) Fired outright

If B, and the new GM will be someone in-house, I imagine it could create for some awkward situations as someone who now reports (directly or indirectly) to Cerrato would become his boss. I don't see that arrangement working well at all.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #33
MTK
\m/

Cerrato promoted?

That sure would be the ultimate FU from Snyder to the fans, my god.

I don't think Snyder would be that dumb.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #34
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Cerrato promoted?

That sure would be the ultimate FU from Snyder to the fans, my god.

I don't think Snyder would be that dumb.
Well I don't see how he can keep Cerrato around otherwise. Last time we went down this road Marty came in and canned his ass in a week. Either Vinny has nothing to do with football and Snyder tells him to eff off and not talk to him about it or he has to be gone. Because apparently he's a schmuck who can't be trusted to not whisper sweet nothings in DS's ear and undermine the whole operation.

And considering DS's apparent affinity for VC I am scared he can't actually bring himself to can him.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #35
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Cerrato will be promoted to Executive Limo driver, racquetball fluffer.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #36
celts32
Playmaker

I hate the fact that our minor improvement over the last month could save Vinny's job! This is still a bad football team that is certain to fire the coach that he hand selected. Back in the summer I thought to myself that I was prepared for a horrible season if it meant getting rid of Vinny once and for all. And now I am becoming faced with the thought of Vinny staying in spite of this awful season. If he is not fired now he never will be. He is the only person in the organization not held accountable for the results of the team.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #37
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
I hate the fact that our minor improvement over the last month could save Vinny's job! This is still a bad football team that is certain to fire the coach that he hand selected. Back in the summer I thought to myself that I was prepared for a horrible season if it meant getting rid of Vinny once and for all. And now I am becoming faced with the thought of Vinny staying in spite of this awful season. If he is not fired now he never will be. He is the only person in the organization not held accountable for the results of the team.
other than 1st round picks, its rare that draft picks contribute significantly in their rookie years. Receivers, specifically, typicaly take 2-3 years to become nfl-caliber players. The West Coast Offense takes 2-3 years for everyone - rookies and veterans - and especially QBs to master. It hasnt even been 2 years yet, and atleast 75% of the players Cerrato drafted look to be worthy of their draft selections. Other than the knee-jerk decision to trade for Jason Taylor and the decision to hire Jim Zorn as HC, Cerrato's done a pretty good job. More than anything else, the performance of the offense in the past month or so is PROOF that he's done a pretty good job overall and an above-average job in the player acquisition department. Will Cerrato be held accountable for his choice of Zorn as HC? We don't even know yet. Should he be fired for hiring Zorn? everyone is entitlted to their opinion. Its a coin toss for me. I could understand either decision. But Snyder would be a complete fool to fire Cerrato without having someone better lined up. If Snyder doesn't fire Cerrato, it'll be more of a testement to his inability to find someone better willing to take the job than anything else.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #38
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Based on your intel, could you answer the following: Is Cerrato going to be:
A) Promoted (Team President or something like that)
B) Demoted (Director of College Scouting or something like that)
C) Transfered (Senior Executive Vice President of Media Operations or something like that)
D) Fired outright

If B, and the new GM will be someone in-house, I imagine it could create for some awkward situations as someone who now reports (directly or indirectly) to Cerrato would become his boss. I don't see that arrangement working well at all.
I don't know. The most fervent speculation has been a combination of A/C and I guess by default a little of B. Think Falcons
Old 12-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #39
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
I don't know. The most fervent speculation has been a combination of A/C and I guess by default a little of B. Think Falcons
Interesting. I certainly think he'd be perfect running our college scouting operations, but I doubt he'd be "satisfied" in that sort of role.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #40
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
other than 1st round picks, its rare that draft picks contribute significantly in their rookie years. Receivers, specifically, typicaly take 2-3 years to become nfl-caliber players. The West Coast Offense takes 2-3 years for everyone - rookies and veterans - and especially QBs to master. It hasnt even been 2 years yet, and atleast 75% of the players Cerrato drafted look to be worthy of their draft selections. Other than the knee-jerk decision to trade for Jason Taylor and the decision to hire Jim Zorn as HC, Cerrato's done a pretty good job. More than anything else, the performance of the offense in the past month or so is PROOF that he's done a pretty good job overall and an above-average job in the player acquisition department. Will Cerrato be held accountable for his choice of Zorn as HC? We don't even know yet. Should he be fired for hiring Zorn? everyone is entitlted to their opinion. Its a coin toss for me. I could understand either decision. But Snyder would be a complete fool to fire Cerrato without having someone better lined up. If Snyder doesn't fire Cerrato, it'll be more of a testement to his inability to find someone better willing to take the job than anything else.
Well apparently you choose to excuse him for the past 10 years since he was not in complete control for some of them. I do not. Explain how he is the only employee in a key position that gets to stay through one failed regime to the next? And as for his draft picks...how did he use them to address the OL? Fred Davis may look pretty good now but why not an OL with that pick when we already had Cooley? Or why not a OL with the Malcom Kelly pick? We can look at individual picks all we want but he does not know how to construct a complete team. Why is it that we are finding OL on the street after the season is already down the tubes that are better then the backups we had in training camp? He claimed we did not need a good backup for Samuels because you can't replace a pro bowler. Every time I hear him open his mouth I am embarresed as a Redskins fan.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #41
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
A buddy I work with (Huge Raider fan, setups tailgate parties were Fred Belitnekoff, Jack Tatum and other old Raiders have come by and posed for pictures and signed autographs) he was telling me that when Jamarcus Russell came in relief, the stadium started booing and half the crowd left and you could feel the air being let out. That's pretty sad.
Cable just named 3rd stringer Charlie Frye the starter on Sunday. Can't get much worse than that for Russell
Old 12-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #42
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Cable just named 3rd stringer Charlie Frye the starter on Sunday. Can't get much worse than that for Russell
What a disaster he turned out to be. If Campbell ends up elsewhere, which I don't think he will, I could still see him in Oakland although you mentioned a few other places as possibilities.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #43
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
What a disaster he turned out to be. If Campbell ends up elsewhere, which I don't think he will, I could still see him in Oakland although you mentioned a few other places as possibilities.
I think a few better teams will have their eye on Campbell. Carolina for one. Possibly Buffalo?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #44
FRPLG
MVP

I could even see him Minn if they decide to bring in a backup they have more faith in than TJ.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #45
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think a few better teams will have their eye on Campbell. Carolina for one. Possibly Buffalo?
Yeah, all of those. But Oakland is a team I haven't heard mentioned and Campbell is a prototype Al Davis QB.

In the end though, I really think Campbell will be in burgundy and gold next season. I'll bet he plays his ass off these next three games.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote