Campbell Needs To Be Cut

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Campbell Needs To Be Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm on the "rebuild the o-line, keep Campbell" argument but it worries me everytime I hear the media giving Zorn and Campbell praise for the way they've handled things lately and then they say it's a shame neither will be here next year after everything that's gone down. I think we have much major problems than qb, and I'd hate to see him leave after it looks like everything is finally coming together after everything that went down.
Ever since the 2nd half of the Falcons game the team has been playing like it should have all year (yes, there's been lots of screw ups, but they've been in every game). At this point I would say, keep Campbell and Zorn, rebuild the OL, promote Jerry Gray to DC and Sherm Lewis to OC and of course FIRE VINNY!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #32
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I do like him though and think he can be a great QB in this league. And if it's for us then that's great, I just us want us to decide once and for all this spring. Either sign him to a long-term extension and say this is our guy. Or let him go. I don't think his fate is pre-ordained.
I disagree. And while I agree with your point about pressure situations and that, certainly, Campbell deserves no special sense of entitlement based on a 4-game stretch where he's ultimately 1-3, I don't think he ever controlled his fate here. That is to say: it, in fact, was pre-ordained.

Ultimately, his struggles in pressure situations boil down mostly to small sample size, but it would be much easier to write them off had he gone even 1-2 in those last three games.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #33
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Still want to see Campbell step it up in more pressure situations. As in last Sunday when he ended up throwing that critical late game interception against the Saints.

I do like him though and think he can be a great QB in this league. And if it's for us then that's great, I just us want us to decide once and for all this spring. Either sign him to a long-term extension and say this is our guy. Or let him go. I don't think his fate is pre-ordained.

I think Campbell has benefited from a few things, including Sherman Lewis coming on board and Chris Meidt working more closely with him in recent weeks. Meidt the key to Campbell's success-who knew?

But what's not really being mentioned is how the team has overall benefited from a) Portis being hurt-which forces the coaches to open things up a bit instead of just handing the ball to Portis repeatedly and b) (and I think this one is the bigger one) Cooley being hurt. I don't think we're a better team w/o Cooley in the lineup. I just think that Campbell (and the coaches) finally have to use the other weapons on the team instead of just going to the comfort of Cooley every time. And that's helped not only Campbell but others like Thomas and Davis as well. Cooley's injury, in my opinion, is the best thing to happen to this offense this year
I remember when Shockey was traded it was a great help to Eli. That was for a different reason, he was demanding the ball and limiting Eli. But the point seems valid a good/great TE is a security blanket for a team, and a qb. Losing him opened up a lot of other options.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Maybe the most indicting thing about Zorny: it does appear that Vinny built some sort of a fringe playoff team here.

Now, though that might sound like heresy, it's probably completely unfair to assume that Zorn should have known that the right moves involved not playing Portis, moving the focus of the offense away from Moss, playing Fred Davis and Devin Thomas, and not putting so much faith in a defense that we just poured even more mega bucks into. There's no coach who would have figured this out in time to start 4-2 instead of 2-4. But, again, that's not really Cerrato's fault, is it?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #35
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
But what's not really being mentioned is how the team has overall benefited from a) Portis being hurt-which forces the coaches to open things up a bit instead of just handing the ball to Portis repeatedly and b) (and I think this one is the bigger one) Cooley being hurt. I don't think we're a better team w/o Cooley in the lineup. I just think that Campbell (and the coaches) finally have to use the other weapons on the team instead of just going to the comfort of Cooley every time. And that's helped not only Campbell but others like Thomas and Davis as well. Cooley's injury, in my opinion, is the best thing to happen to this offense this year
On this point, we're in complete agreement. And there's no way this could have happened without injuries to our safety blankets, unfortunately. When he comes back, Cooley is going to have to find a new niche in this offense as starting TE, who doesn't command all the defensive attention, but still needs to produce to his contract.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #36
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Still want to see Campbell step it up in more pressure situations. As in last Sunday when he ended up throwing that critical late game interception against the Saints.

I think Campbell has benefited from a few things, including Sherman Lewis coming on board and Chris Meidt working more closely with him in recent weeks. Meidt the key to Campbell's success-who knew?

Well said Smack. I don't see how anyone who knows anything at all about football cannot see the difference in the way this team has played since the second half of the Atlanta game. Zorn, with whatever defeciencies he may have is keeping this team together and playing hard, he deserves his share of credit for being able to acomplish that. I have been proud of the way this team has playes the last few weeks.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #37
GridIron26
Playmaker

I'm starting to really believe that it's imperative we sign Campbell; he's improving every game, all after Lewis became our "offense coordinator" but we definitely have to give other two coaches some credits too.. I won't be able to fathom if Vinny doesn't try to resign Campbell and draft a #1 LT; the pieces are there but we just need to adjust a little bit with an additional new lineman..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #38
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
On this point, we're in complete agreement. And there's no way this could have happened without injuries to our safety blankets, unfortunately. When he comes back, Cooley is going to have to find a new niche in this offense as starting TE, who doesn't command all the defensive attention, but still needs to produce to his contract.
I'd like to see how you cover Davis and Cooley and the field at the same time. Better yet I'd like to see us be smart in the way we make that work. Davis has proven he is a starting caliber TE in this league. He is going to have to be on the field.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #39
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I'm starting to really believe that it's imperative we sign Campbell; he's improving every game, all after Lewis became our "offense coordinator" but we definitely have to give other two coaches some credits too.. I won't be able to fathom if Vinny doesn't try to resign Campbell and draft a #1 LT; the pieces are there but we just need to adjust a little bit with an additional new lineman..

GridIron - I agree except for one word in your post - you needed to say linmen not lineman - this team needs a new LT, RT, C and RG. Samuels is most likely to retire and you cannot count on Randy Thomas being able to play a whole year with as many serious injuries a he has had now. Heyer is "just a guy" who does not scare any defense and Rabach is getting beat like a red headed stepchild too often. Jason Campbell is lucky he is still able to walk and the beating he is taking makes it all the more important that at least two starters if not 3 are found in the offseason. Dockery is your only mainstay on this line and he is starting to get up in years as well but we can live with him.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #40
jrocx69
Special Teams

draft clausen and keep jc til clausen ready or if jc can actually keep this up all the way through next season
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #41
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

We're still here, he's played what one good game, he's still slow to me with his decisions, which is huge for any QB. He still hasn't really complete a long 40+ yard pass, to my knowledge, and you need those cause that gives your team even more mojo. His ball security in the pocket has gotten better, but then again he's gone against the raiders today, and they don't really scare you with there pass rushers. I don't think he'll be back next year simply because I don't see Zorn here next year, they tried to get rid of campbell last year, and already Snyderatto was scouting Colt McCoy (god I hope we DONT get him).
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #42
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Keep Jason and lets build a solid O-Line around him. If we draft another qb we are going to rebuild at a minimum of 2-3 years. Personally, I am sick and tired of rebuilding.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #43
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I got a question.
Do you all Resign Levi Jones and keep him as our LT and Draft a really good tackle in the first round like Russell Okung and put him as a RT?
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #44
mike340
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
...some slack. He's played very well since Sherm Lewis started calling plays.. Coincidence? I think not.
I also think it's been helpful that Zorn has had more time to work with him.
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #45
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I got a question.
Do you all Resign Levi Jones and keep him as our LT and Draft a really good tackle in the first round like Russell Okung and put him as a RT?
Why not, he's proven to be better than Heyer. At least he adds some depth.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote