Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #31
MTK
\m/

Re: Good Pick Ups from Cuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
You guys are delusional.

You can't go out and bring in players at this stage of the preseason and expect them to be able to contribute in any way to your team given that they know NOTHING of your system. The learning curve is already high enough for the offensive players we do have, they're all learning a new system as it is, and now you want to bring in some guys who'd come in blind? It's essentially the same problem on defense.

The only way this makes any sense is if the players available are HUGE upgrades in talent over your existing guys. A slight upgrade in talent would not make up for the big learning curve they'll face.

The Deltha O'Neal discussion is actually worth having because he actually is hugely talented over Justin Tryon. But so was M. Richardson, and Vinny cut him anyway. There are clearly some non-football forces at play keeping Tryon on the team, and the availability of Deltha O'Neal won't change that one bit.
At this point the only names that I find interesting are defensive guys. McDougle and O'Neal are guys that could probably come in and contribute relatively quickly.

Advertisements
Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #32
GMScud
Swearinger

I would say Deltha O'Neal would be about the only guy I'd look at. He's a HUGE upgrade from Tryon who has just looked miserable. Willie Anderson is 33, just lost his job, and wants is nearing retirement. I'd question how much his heart is really in it.

I wonder if there's any validity to NOT cutting drafted players who have been mediocre at best just to save a litte face. Granted Rob Jackson and Horton played nicely, but Tryon had waiver wire written all over him. I'm pretty surprised he's still around.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #33
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

We had a real good camp and have, it seems, good talent and depth. In light of Carolina and Jax, it may just seems that way b/c we haven't had a daily comparison to other teams. Without having scrutinized these players, it's hard to say if they are significantly better than those on the team. Other than Tryon, who do we cut - Wilson and Hamilton are probably the next bubble players but they are likely both valuable ST guys. Is Deltha the going to be good enough on ST? How did Tryon do on ST? Right now, we are talking about replacing the 5th CB, 5th Safety and/or 5th DE - all of whom will be making their main contributions on ST. That's the spot for youth not retreads. Remember - Deltha has been cut by at least 3 teams now. Is he really an upgrade??
Old 08-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #34
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
We had a real good camp and have, it seems, good talent and depth. In light of Carolina and Jax, it may just seems that way b/c we haven't had a daily comparison to other teams. Without having scrutinized these players, it's hard to say if they are significantly better than those on the team. Other than Tryon, who do we cut - Wilson and Hamilton are probably the next bubble players but they are likely both valuable ST guys. Is Deltha the going to be good enough on ST? How did Tryon do on ST? Right now, we are talking about replacing the 5th CB, 5th Safety and/or 5th DE - all of whom will be making their main contributions on ST. That's the spot for youth not retreads. Remember - Deltha has been cut by at least 3 teams now. Is he really an upgrade??
Over Tryon? For sure. At this point Tryon has more upside and obviously youth, but as far as 2008 goes, I think O'Neal would be a better player. It's not like we'd be asking him to play #1 CB against the TO's of the world, just a little nickel and some depth chart help experience-wise.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #35
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Tryon won't play the position he played in the preseason we saw him mostly playing the LCB and RCB he will no doubt be a nickel corner and there I think he can excel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #36
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
Tryon won't play the position he played in the preseason we saw him mostly playing the LCB and RCB he will no doubt be a nickel corner and there I think he can excel better.
The only position I want Tryon to play is benchwarmer. If he gets to play nickel or dime than essentially we are playing w/ 10 on the field. H has the mouth of Deion Sanders but the coverage skills of Col. Sanders.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #37
EEich
The Starter

Archuleta is available
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #38
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEich View Post
Archuleta is available
Oh lord

I think O'Neal would be a great pick up. He wouldn't help for the future, but he'd add depth to our secondary. Tryon needs to develop big time.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #39
mitch e
Camp Scrub

The way we went thru the OL last year I would feel better if we had some depth going into the season.
mitch e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #40
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch e View Post
The way we went thru the OL last year I would feel better if we had some depth going into the season.
It would be nice to pick up a decent backup OL. I would say a cheap one though. Our team has a good player developing in the practice squad (Crummey) and drafting an O-lineman in the draft next year will help in adding youth and develop for the future.

I still think that picking up O'Neal for the right price would be huge for our secondary. It could even help us in the event the Doughty doesn't pan out, and the coaches move Springs to safety. But even if that doesn't happen, it would just make our secondary very strong this season.
R.I.P. #21
Old 08-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #41
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Do any of the cap gurus know how much space we have left in the cap and whether the team could afford any more players? Just curious.
R.I.P. #21
Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #42
WaldSkins
Playmaker

I think we should give Chad Jackson a tryout. He was a 1st round WR pick a couple years ago for NE and i think he never got a fair shot.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:03 PM   #43
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

According to NFL.com, Jackson is still on the Patriots.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #44
skinsnut
Playmaker

Even though I agree with you about Tryon not worth a roster shot, I still see our major depth need at LB.

Theres gotta be anyone better than our backups.
Does anyone know of a solid vet LB available?
I'd also argue DT.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #45
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Jackson was cut.
Lynch, Jackson cut as Patriots bide their time - The Boston Globe