Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Victims of an extended preseason?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #31
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: Victims of an extended preseason?

good observation & thread by paintrain

It makes sense to me, the team hit a point of burn out at the same has to play 2 more preseason games. I'm not worried about last night's offensive performance. Thomas is working his way into the mix & 2 of the plays he was in on were mishaps. Cooley got the ball knocked out of his hands, good play by the db. Campbell looked decent enough & they didn't get to him.

I'll take that & move on. I don't think the O looks great, but it's not as bad as it seems. The wr spot is still an issue IMO. And JLC is now reporting on Skins insider that Heyer might take Jansen's job. If so, he's got to step up for us. That side of the line might be a problem all year.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #32
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
good observation & thread by paintrain

It makes sense to me, the team hit a point of burn out at the same has to play 2 more preseason games. I'm not worried about last night's offensive performance. Thomas is working his way into the mix & 2 of the plays he was in on were mishaps. Cooley got the ball knocked out of his hands, good play by the db. Campbell looked decent enough & they didn't get to him.

I'll take that & move on. I don't think the O looks great, but it's not as bad as it seems. The wr spot is still an issue IMO. And JLC is now reporting on Skins insider that Heyer might take Jansen's job. If so, he's got to step up for us. That side of the line might be a problem all year.
Nice post.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #33
Miller101
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
you know what? about tryon..little do we forget that corners typically take alot longer to develop in this league than at any other position except qb. Especially if you are not imbibed with the sick killa physical skills to start out with...look at carlos...he just now may be having his breakout year...look at trufant..it took him a minute. Im not saying tryon is the man..but im saying give him some time
I doubt that dude. Tryon was picked on hard during that game. He was picked on just about as much as we picked on Reeves of the Cowboys last year. I mean last night alone there were something like 10 balls thrown his way and he only knocked one of them down. All three of the touchdowns Jacksonville scored were against him. And...............not all the time, but they did throw his way several times when they were third and long. And again he only knocked one of them down.

I don't buy into the fact that he's developing. That guy is a bust. Let him go and hopefully the Cowboys will pick him up or something.
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #34
KWilly_2003
Camp Scrub

Look Pre-season is just that...Pre-season. Have the Skins looked good? Yes and no. Yet I'm going to hold judgment on them till after the first two games. Look, the season opens in NY with the SB champs. That is really hard for any team coming in on the road to go up against. I hope that the "real" skins fans understand that we will might lose this upcoming Thursday, and to not take it to heart. Unless it is 47-3 at the end, I don't want to hear any skins fan calling for Colt, or Todd or anything like that. I was at the game last night, and watched the fans boo the team. By the 3rd Q they were booing guys that wont even make the team! I watched them boo JC and cheer CB. Thats wrong....plain wrong, Colt may be a good QB one day but JC is our starter and people need to understand this. Put Colt in against the Giants Thur. Go ahead and see what happens, because something like that did happen to a guy wearing number 11 one time. For god sakes its just pre-season...give them a chance.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #35
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post
I doubt that dude. Tryon was picked on hard during that game. He was picked on just about as much as we picked on Reeves of the Cowboys last year. I mean last night alone there were something like 10 balls thrown his way and he only knocked one of them down. All three of the touchdowns Jacksonville scored were against him. And...............not all the time, but they did throw his way several times when they were third and long. And again he only knocked one of them down.

I don't buy into the fact that he's developing. That guy is a bust. Let him go and hopefully the Cowboys will pick him up or something.
I don't know if I agree wholeheartedly w/you but I definitely think a rookie is expected to be better than what he's shown if he hopes to get playing time. A lot of rookie cb's can come in and play, there's just not ready to be man to man on the other team's top wr's.

So yes, I think Tryon is in danger of getting cut, but probably will be on the practice squad. Maybe the guy has the raw ability & they know it will take time to develop his technique. I hope so, cause I've seen plenty of db's play better as rookies. No one's expecting him to be a starter, just to get the confidence of the coaches that he can play nickel.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #36
Warren85Ellard
Special Teams

Does Tryon play well on special teams?? I don't want to give up on him yet. I watched the ASU vs. California game from last year and he was all over Desean Jackson. He looked like a future pro. In four games, he has been abused by opponents and hasn't done one thing on the field yet to make anyone say he deserves to be here, but I'm still a believer.
Warren85Ellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #37
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Practice squad him. It does take time to learn CB in the NFL. And I think they were trying to expose him the last few weeks. We'll see.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #38
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Just talking in general, if you're tired/bored with something, what is more likely to happen. You give it 110% or you slack off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig
Human nature.

How often do you perform a task with excellence that completely bores you and carries the risk of an injury that could alter your career?
I don't know. Something tells me Peyton Manning or Tom Brady wouldn't approach the preseason with that sort of attitude. Hell, didn't Clinton Portis tell us that if he's on the field during preseason he goes out and gives it all he's got?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #39
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'm having a hard time believing that Tryon is the biggest bust in the entire league.
I think he meant the biggest bust of our draft. I just hope that it's Tryon and not the WR's we took high in the draft.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #40
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I don't know. Something tells me Peyton Manning or Tom Brady wouldn't approach the preseason with that sort of attitude. Hell, didn't Clinton Portis tell us that if he's on the field during preseason he goes out and gives it all he's got?
Right, Brady doesn't even play and Manning plays about 3-4 plays.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #41
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Tyron is looking pretty bad rite now, as did Leon Hall(top CB of 07 draft-Cincinatti) last year. CBs need time to develop, Tyron will be OK.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #42
Defensewins
Playmaker

I am tired of the excuses and want the regular season to start. This thread pisses me off.
I am tired of reading the rationalizations/excuses for a team that is not very good right now.
I can maybe agree with the theory our veterans have an excuse for not wanting to give a shit about pre-season, because they have already proved they belong in the NFL. But the players trying to make this team, the ones that if they are not playing football this fall are only qualifed to flip burgers at McDonalds, why are they not playing their guts out?
We either have a really weak bench/backups or we have backups that think they have made it in the NFL and do not think they have to prove themselves in the preseason. Neither one is good.
Regarding our rookie WR's and the excuse for them that they have been injured. Well they also showed up out of shape and could not even pass the fitness test. Then they got hurt. What a surprise and shock that they got hurt? Lazy guys should have been in shape, this is their careers, right? Or are they going to law school at night? Too much PS3 and Madden is more like it.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #43
MTK
\m/

I'm tired of hearing people bitch and moan about the preseason.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #44
Defensewins
Playmaker

I hear ya!
I am just bitching and moaning about our inability to play good football, regardless of the final score. I do not give a rats ass about the final score of a presaon game.
At least show me some moments of good play. Even if it is brief.
Most importantly, I would like to see our back ups and youngsters play well and develop in preseason games. Which is really who preseason is for, the youngster. I would like to get excited about a rookie or new free agent that will be come a starter in a year or two.
I am not seeing that.
Instead I am seeing the team regress from the level of play they had last year.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #45
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I hear ya!
I am just bitching and moaning about our inability to play good football, regardless of the final score. I do not give a rats ass about the final score of a presaon game.
At least show me some moments of good play. Even if it is brief.
Most importantly, I would like to see our back ups and youngsters play well and develop in preseason games. Which is really who preseason is for, the youngster. I would like to get excited about a rookie or new free agent that will be come a starter in a year or two.
I am not seeing that.
Instead I am seeing the team regress from the level of play they had last year.
I guess you've missed guys like Fred Davis, Chad Rinehart, Marcus Mason, Billy McMullen, Rob Jackson, Colt Brennan, Alfred Fincher, Justin Hamilton, etc. Guys who have made some noise this preseason and could be valuable players in the near future.

I think overall this preseason has been pretty good from the standpoint of seeing some of the younger guys make names for themselves.