When will Jansen go?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #31
redsk1
The Starter

Re: When will Jansen go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Yeah, tuna hit the ball out of the park on his pre-draft opinion of Chris Cooley too.

Good post. The Tuna is not always right. Great football guy but he's been wrong before.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #32
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Yeah, tuna hit the ball out of the park on his pre-draft opinion of Chris Cooley too.

I think a pre-draft opinion is clearly different that and evaluation of a player who has been in the league for years, how many people passed on Tom Brady? Parcells said JJ lost a step, which he clearly has. While he is a great leader and locker room guy, he is also a liability. We dont really have that much depth on the line (as far a quality backups that have the ability to move in an supplant a starter) so we will have to stick with JJ.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #33
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

i disagree..Heyer performed very well at both sides last year as a rookie. Rhinehart is versitile enough to play tackle. There is depth there.
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #34
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
i disagree..Heyer performed very well at both sides last year as a rookie. Rhinehart is versitile enough to play tackle. There is depth there.
Not in the games I watched and not according to Buges.

He often performed adequately. He consistently needed help in dealing with any DE that was above average. In one game (don't remember which), Cooley was effectively removed from the passing game b/c he was helping Heyer.

Earlier this year Buges was asked "Is it true some of the younger guys are looking to Stephon for advice on how to make in the pros?" To which Bugel responded "They better not be, he's got learn how to do it himself before he gives anybody else advice."

As for Rinehart, been trying to watch him play but can't tell from what I've seen how he's doing. He seems to be a favorite of both Buges and Zorn.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #35
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Heyer has another year under his belt, and lets be honest buges is critical of everyone!
Even jansen and samuels. Plus wade is there to play tackle. i still think jansen is our best bet, and we'll just have to wait and see how he does. But to be honest i feel better about "depth" on our line than i have in a long time. whether they play well or not is another issue. Id be more concerned about center right now. Rabach has been lackluster.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #36
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

Yes we have depth, but i dont think any of the back ups at this point are good enough to take over the starting job from our current starters. Barring injuries we are stuck with this line, and if the preseason is any indication as to how this line is going to perform, then it is going to be a long season for our QBs
Old 08-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #37
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

at least if jc goes down we have the colt 45 in the wings. sigh
Old 08-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #38
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
at least if jc goes down we have the colt 45 in the wings. sigh
Real funny. Not sure whether you're making the connection here but I've actually been concerned that Jansen's presence puts JC at higher risk for injury. People keep saying there is no better option at RT and if that's true things look a little scary IMO.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #39
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I just don't get all the hate.
1- good tackles are hard to come by.
2- Jansen KNOWS the position VERY well.
3- He's coming off a huge injury, and needs time (yet another reason NOT to watch preseason games)
4- If he truly has nothing left, I doubt Zorn / Bugel would be dumb enough to allow him to start at tackle and hurt the team. Either you have faith in Zorn or you don't. I haven't exactly been a Zorn advocate, but I certainly am giving him a long enough leash that includes quite a few games...regular season that is.
1. Yes good tackles are hard to come by but have to ever thought that Jansen isn't any good anymore?
2. Just cause he knows his position doesn't mean he can play it very well
3. Yes he's coming off a huge injury but how much time does he need? Maybe the coaches should start mixing in Heyer some til Jansen is 100%
4. Yes cause maybe they trust a vet more than they trust a 2nd year free agent. Right now I don't trust Jansen or Heyer.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #40
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

wow this has turned into a heatd debate..over the longest tenured skin no less!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #41
Schneed10
A Dude

I will say that Jansen is still a strong run blocker in this league. He's still capable of getting low and driving a guy just enough to open up a hole. But his pass protection skills appear to be completely gone.

That said, Heyer is definitely not an upgrade in pass protection, as others said he received way too much TE and RB help to be considered a reliable pass protector.

He and Jansen are about equal in pass protection at this stage - we're going to have to give either one of them a fair amount of help. But Jansen can still run block, so we stick with him.

If he still sucks this year and can't regain his form, it will definitely be time to draft some help at RT.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #42
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

umm isnt that why we drafted rhinehart? they envision him to take over either the guard spot or tackle spot.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #43
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
umm isnt that why we drafted rhinehart? they envision him to take over either the guard spot or tackle spot.
Kendall is older than Jansen. I think at the time, they envisioned him developing to replace Kendall at G, who is in the last year of his contract.

I don't think they envisioned Rinehart would replace Jansen, as the team has financially committed to Jansen for several more years.

So in the even the Skins decide to make Rinehart a permanent replacement for Jansen, we'll just need to draft a young G to take over for Kendall instead.

Either way, we're looking at drafting a young lineman next year, unless Jansen returns to form.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #44
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Lets not burn anybody at the stake yet...its preseason. I still stick to my firm belief that these guys played soft the other night to avoid getting hurt. Obviously Buges believes in hi and he is not a respected oline coach for nothing. Give him a few games....if he gets hurt again then we can start panicking.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #45
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
3. Yes he's coming off a huge injury but how much time does he need?
I feel we can go round and round with the other comments, but this one stuck out to me to say something.
He needs more than a meezly 3 preseason games after having a season ending injury...to think otherwise is incredibly impatient. As others pointed out, Jansen is always a slow starter. But you totally missed a HUGE point...you either believe in Zorn or you don't. Do you, or don't you?