Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Clarett runs a 4.82 40

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What is Clarett's NFL Future?
None 6 11.76%
Inconsequential Role Player 28 54.90%
Solid Starter 11 21.57%
All-Pro 4 7.84%
Canton! 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #31
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: Clarett runs a 4.82 40

I agree that not participating in the rest of the drills hurt Clarett. I still think, if he get's a chance, he could be a great back. I just wonder how many people on this board would be boasting about how he's the best back since X had he stayed in college instead of trying to come out early.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #32
MTK
\m/

Let's see wait til draft day to see how many teams miss the boat on this diamond in the rough.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:33 PM   #33
jdlea
Playmaker

Yeah...sorry about the confusion with the Suggs's. I always thought that if a guy put up in college, I didn't put much stock into the combine. Suggs lead the NCAA record for sacks when he was a senior and people tried to hate because his 40 was slow. I completely agree with that point about Terrell.

Clarrett, on the other hand, just perpetuated the notion that he has an attitude problem by packing it in after the 40. I know most of you have already said this, but that really hurt him. Mort was talking about him on Sportscenter this AM and said that one scout said, "If he packs it in at the combine, what if he misses a block and gives up a sack in the game? How long will he sulk then?" That's a good point. You haven't seen him play football in 2 years, when he did play he was very good, but he was kinda small and got hurt then. Now he's kinda small, maybe injury prone, probably has an attitude problem and not least of all, is slow. I was shaky on him last year, now I wouldn't draft him.

Or at least that's what I say. The only thing is, I'm really conflicted because I liked him at OSU and if he falls to the 6th or 7th round, what do you have to lose?
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #34
jdlea
Playmaker

Josh Haldi, QB, Northern Illinois, just ran a 4.64
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:07 PM   #35
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Well what if he fumbles in a big game and costs a team a touchdown or somthing? Should he just pack it in and ride the bench because he is "upset". No. He should have gone back out there to try to prove somthing. I dont think he really cost himself millions either. He was proboly around a 4th-5th round pick before the combine; now he'll be lucky to get drafted. I dont feel for this guy at all. Although I do agree with your assesment on the combine, its really not a good indicator of talent.
Clarrett has never packed it in a game. In fact the guy has played through injuries, a seperated shoulder, during the OSU championship year. He came in and played in big games when he was not expected to play, because his team was behind and he performed well.
You are going to compare his getting upset at a 40 yard dash time and a game situation? They do not compare.
I do not like Clarett all that much, but some folks here are demonizing him for mistakes he made when he was 17-21. I think there is a chance he might turn it around.?.?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #36
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
No, what should be a more telling point is how a FOOTBALL player played FOOTBALL on a field against top talent, in a game setting. The only thing this combine is good for is the player physicals, mental tests and interviews. Everything else is over rated by the hungry media and fans who are rabid for any NFL news. Everything gets over analyzed.
So Clarrett got upset for running a bad 40. Wouldn't you, if it cost you millions? The players that decided to skip the combine are turning out to be smart, not selfish or stupid. Don't read to much into a GM or an NFL source getting upset because a player did not jump through all the hoops.
so it's ok for a player who's had 2 years of negative press to quit in front of his possible future employers after one aspect of the combine didn't go well for him? I don't remember other players in recent years having a lower than desired 40 time like Terrel Suggs or Michael Clayton just up and quit. I can understand his way of thinking with him having his personal workout to help make up for his slow 40s but quitting after that doesn't make sense when he could have kept going and showed some of this "maturing" that he's supposedly gone through to his naysayers.
No matter how trivial the combine may be to some, it does adjust some players rankings for better or for worse and I'm sure some coaches may even look more at what a player does after a bad time or a mental mistake than the actual numbers themselves.

actual atheletic talent can only take players so far (ie Darryl Russel, Dimetrius Underwood, Alonzo Spellman) and knowing a player has his head on straight is just as important as his physical abilities.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #37
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
I agree with Daseal. A players 40 time and this whole combine is the biggest load of shit. Remember Trung Canidate!
The combine results and 40 time does not determine if you are going to be a great football player. Another player who dropped in the draft because of a bad 40 time at the combine is none other than the all time leading rusher in the NFL Emmit Smith. He ran something like a 4.6 and 4.7. Some guys are faster during a game, when the old adrenaline is pumping. Put the fear of getting hit by a huge LB and some guys run faster.

Good job DW! I made that very comparison a while back and that is exactly who Clarett resembles with his running style, I see all the same instinct's as a runner as Emmitt had.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #38
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Let's see wait til draft day to see how many teams miss the boat on this diamond in the rough.

I can see the Raider's all over Clarett, just Al Davis's kind of pick, regardless of all the nonesense surrounding this kid I will still be surprised if he last's past the 3rd rd.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #39
MTK
\m/

So in this thread the 40 times don't matter, but over in the Williams and Williamson thread we're all drooling over them, LOL
Old 02-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #40
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Let me assume for a moment that Clarett is ever so slightly more intelligent than a rutabaga. He has had a full year to think about and recognize the importance of these workouts so if he is smart enough to tell lightening from thunder he would have shown up in shape and ready to do VERY WELL.

He showed up and stunk out the joint.

So, you tell me:

1. He's in top shape and just happens to be way too slow to be a stellar RB in the NFL

2. He's not anywhere near top shape because he was too dumb to realize the importance of these workouts.

3. He's not anywhere near top shape because he's too lazy and undisciplined to work out without some coach kicking him in the rear end.

4. He's not anywhere near top shape because his "advisors" and his "boys" convince him that all this "combine noise" was just for those guys who don't have a top flight reputation - - and he bought into it.

I don't care which of the 4 you pick; any of them will convince me to draft Katie Hnida as a kicker in the 7th round instead of this jamoke.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:57 PM   #41
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

SC - everyone commented on how great clarett looked. How absolutely ripped he was. He added a lot of muscle, but apparently that affected his 40 time. The Clarett story will be interesting.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:33 PM   #42
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Good job DW! I made that very comparison a while back and that is exactly who Clarett resembles with his running style, I see all the same instinct's as a runner as Emmitt had.
Emmitt Smith has one of the best off pace steps I have ever seen. Probably second only to Walter Payton. he'll slow down just enough to make you hesitate and then off he goes.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:47 PM   #43
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I didn't get to read any of the previous comments so bear with me...

4.82?!? HA! I run it in that amount of time. Even though after reading Daseal's last comment, muscle gain could have a lot to do with it.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:17 AM   #44
Redskins8588
Playmaker

I have to agree with Daseal on this, Clarett IMO is gonna be a pretty good football player. I do think that he will be a steal if he goes undrafted, or in the 5th, 6th or 7th round.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:18 AM   #45
jrocx69
Special Teams

why does is seem we have guys on here think its good to sign guys with attitude problems? why?? i dont understand

keep that garbage off my skins field
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote