Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Lsu! Lsu! Lsu!

Other Sports

Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #31
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Lsu! Lsu! Lsu!

When LSU lost to Kentucky I believe they were ranked like 9th or something

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #32
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Well EQ -- the only people that Tech lost to were ranked #2 and #1 in the country respectively. The comps had them #1 for a reason. They've come a long way since the loss to LSU. LSU has gotten worse.

This is why college football blows. There's no closure. We can debate all day about who should go, and everyone has an argument. Without some sort of playoff system, it's impossible. Take the top 8 teams to a playoff. Thats two extra games. Keep the same ranking system, and if you aren't top 8, chances are you dont deserve a shot.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #33
Cowell
Impact Rookie

I do agree they need a playoff system but honestly I don't think it will happen. As for LSU, they are a better team then what was on the field Saturday night in the SEC Championship game. They were a really banged up team and I think that with Matt Flynn back they will be much better. It will be a great game against Ohio State.
Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #34
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Well EQ -- the only people that Tech lost to were ranked #2 and #1 in the country respectively. The comps had them #1 for a reason. They've come a long way since the loss to LSU. LSU has gotten worse.

This is why college football blows. There's no closure. We can debate all day about who should go, and everyone has an argument. Without some sort of playoff system, it's impossible. Take the top 8 teams to a playoff. Thats two extra games. Keep the same ranking system, and if you aren't top 8, chances are you dont deserve a shot.

LSU is not a worse team they were just hurt. Boston College was undeserving of that ranking

Old 12-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #35
itvnetop
Playmaker

Hawaii deserves the spot in the MNC. I don't care how weak the WAC schedule is, they went undefeated in D1.

LSU in the game would have been the same as putting Georgia, OU, VT or USC in that spot. Honestly, all five teams would probably beat (maybe even destroy) Hawaii or OSU. But that isn't the point- all five teams had their chances to be in the game and they screwed the pooch (twice).

If it were b/t OSU and Hawaii, the champion probably wouldn't be the best team in the nation... but it would be the one who deserved it, based on regular season play. Like TMC mentioned earlier, anyone in the top 10 could probably beat each other right now on any given day. Since we don't have a playoff (which is ridiculous), slotting LSU in the second spot is as arbitrary as can be.

There's a million arguments for each case- all as valid as the next. "The SEC is the best conference." "The 8th place Pac 10 team destroyed the SEC East Champion." "LSU didn't lose in regulation." "Georgia and USC have played the best football the past month and a half."

The solution? If there's no playoff, it's Hawaii. Their record trumps every subjective argument out there.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #36
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:

Truth is though, Boston College was never that good this season. At the time they beat Va. Tech, they hadn't lost yet. Va. Tech was better though, I thought they proved that in that game, and they definately proved it in the ACC Championship.

But the point is that if you are arguing that LSU doesn't deserve it, you still will end up making an argument that will end up disqualifying pretty much any team that could play OSU. The computer average isn't a statistical formula that tries to find who played the best football, its an average of like 6-7 human polls.

The point is that the idea is to find the best 2 teams and have them play. That was accomplished this year. The goal is not to find the teams with the least "unimpressive losses" or crazy wins or whatever. It's supposed to be the two best teams.

If any of the other teams had been more impressive than the two that made it, then they should have gotten it. No one really was. I thought WVU was for awhile, but they not only didn't beat Pittsburgh, but basically lost to a Pitt team that didn't even play it's best game.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:08 AM   #37
djnemo65
Playmaker

What I hate is how bowl proponents justify the system by claiming that every game is a playoff game with the national championship on the line. That's fine, except for the fact that it's obviously not true. We are going to have a champion with two playoff losses, which hasn't happened since I hosted a triple elimination Joe Montana NFL tournament at my house in 8th grade (for those of you who don't remember there was one year where that game totally eclipsed Madden).
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 AM   #38
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
LSU beat Virginia Tech 48-7 you cant ignore that

True, but that was before they turned their season around. At least VT only lost to ranked teams. Honestly, I am glad that VT is not in the National Championship game. If they win the Orange Bowl against Kansas it is possible (not inevitable) that they share the National Championship title.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #39
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
True, but that was before they turned their season around. At least VT only lost to ranked teams. Honestly, I am glad that VT is not in the National Championship game. If they win the Orange Bowl against Kansas it is possible (not inevitable) that they share the National Championship title.

yes but either way you cant ignore it it was a domination regardless and when LSU lost to Kentucky they were in the top 10 and we werent healthy same with the Arkansas game but when OSU comes around and we are all 100% OSU will be in for a big suprise AGAIN. (I have no idea why i kept saying we)

Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #40
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Man this was a whacked out sleeper of a BCS this season

Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #41
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Man this was a whacked out sleeper of a BCS this season
Yup...thank goodness it was, or LSU would have ended 10th or worse.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #42
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

doubt it they proved they are the best team in the NCAA right now

Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #43
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
doubt it they proved they are the best team in the NCAA right now
Only by BCS standards. College needs to go to a playoff system, I think that WV might have been able to beat them.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #44
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

WV would have gotten blown out. WVU had their chance to play in the title game and totally blew it.

The BCS is awful and let the top 8 teams play for the championship. But without a doubt, LSU played great. The SEC blows every conference away. No one comes close.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #45
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
WV would have gotten blown out. WVU had their chance to play in the title game and totally blew it.

The BCS is awful and let the top 8 teams play for the championship. But without a doubt, LSU played great. The SEC blows every conference away. No one comes close.
I agree that the SEC is the cream of the college crop, but that is because the BCS gives us that opinion. Let's put the best college teams in a playoff and see what happens. I am not taking anything away from LSU or the SEC, but everyone expected Oklahoma to destroy WV. To our suprise, WV showed up to play.

I am a VT fan and I was beside myself when they lost to KU. How far could a school like KU have gone in a playoff system. Nobody gave them a chance to beat VT. I sure as the hell didn't. All of these upsets have proven that a playoff is becomming more and more necessary. That's all.

Congrats to LSU.